Contribute
Register

G4 + G5 = A G4 Cube in a Modded G5 Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
As promised, I have got stuck into the G5 case and have got the cube inside and running. 100_0609.JPG
100_0604.JPG

I will have to pull it down now to finish it off , with auto body filler and paint.
At the moment it looks like frankenstein with all the rivets, but will all look good once it's finished.

100_0596.JPG

Even the touch sensor start button works through the aluminium mesh.

100_0608.JPG

Do you plan on running any case fans? You're losing the cube's natural convective cooling by turning things on their side so I'd expect higher temps now.

Do you plan on running any case fans? You're losing the cube's natural convective cooling by turning things on their side so I'd expect higher temps now.

I have put in an 80mm PWM fan using a mesh waste section from the G5 case and bolted down to the bottom and angled so as to direct airflow at the CPU.
.100_0585.JPG

I have been running for a couple of days now in the modded G5, and it actually runs cooler than it did in the Cube.
In the Cube without the added fan it would sit on 41c and stressed for 10 min it would reach 61c.
I haven't stressed this yet but it run's around 38c, I do note that the i3 looks after itself pretty well by switching between cores to keep the temps in check.

Just a note on mounting the fan like this, is that you must recess the handle where the heads of the fan mounting bolts sit proud, the handle must travel all the way to the case when pushing to unlock it. If you do this fan mod and put the core into the cube, you will not get it back out if you haven't recessed the handle to accommodate the bolt heads. This would be a very distressing predicament.
100_0589.JPG

100_0590.JPG

I will do a stress test and post the results later.

Cheers.
Rossi.

It will be a modded cube with a GA-H77tn motherboard(when they finally release them).
Did you get the gigabyte GA-H77tn board working?

Did you get the gigabyte GA-H77tn board working?

No, not as yet Kiwi, and I can't find them in AU.(an omen) I am also thinking of sticking with the Z77 ITX and doing a full 3770 CPU with 16 gig of RAM, for two reasons, since finding that the cube just needs a dock with fans for cooling, and by deleting the optical drive and using the space for a 300 watt ITX PSU I'll be able to run a PCIE Graphics Card as well, the g5 mini has heaps of room in the back for a big single 180mm fan sucking the air through. I hope to have some pictures up this weekend with all things permitting. Cheers, Rossi. PS: Forgot to mention that it looks like the GA-Z77tn can only take 8gig of RAM http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4462#sp

Hi I'm from Spain, first of all, congratulations on your work with g5 and g4 cube. I am very interested in buying a g4 cube case "methacrylate part " to make a bowl for my brother. Does your'd sell one? For how much? : S thank you very much http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJSerYYD3w4

Sorry no spare cubes to sell, but I like the fish bowl and also like the panniers on the motorbike. Cheers Rossi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back