Intel Core2 DUO 775
Graphics
9600GT
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. Other
Fitting a G4 Cube's Internal Cage into a Modified G5 Case.
100_0545.JPG

I am going to take my time on this one, so please feel free to suggest your thoughts on this build.
I have spent some hours trying it this way, and that way, before I start cutting.

Here's one that is on a Japanese site, but it looks to be made of perspex and painted silver.

http://www.conf.co.jp/new_folder/making/cube_9.html31.jpg

After trying the cube in all different ways, I have come to the conclusion that the best way (That I can see) is to insert the cube from the rear of the G5.
I wanted to install from the bottom as per the G4 case, but the G5's feet are in the way.
By installing into the rear of the G5 case I can utilise the G5's DVD opening to feed the G4's DVD slot. This will hopefully look somewhat like the Japanese case in the prior post.
Time to start the measuring and cutting.

First remove the G5's DVD drive locating shroud
.100_0552.JPG
Then the measuring begins.
100_0553.JPG100_0554.JPG100_0556.JPG100_0558.JPG100_0559.JPG100_0560.JPG

Hi Rossi, Interesting concepts. A couple of basic questions.

Will the cube still be removable from the G5, or will it be fixed in place?
Is this going to be a original g4 Cube, or a modded cube?
What about cooling? If the cube is now lying on its side, wont a fan be needed?

Kiwi.

Hi Kiwi, The Cube Chassis will be completely removed from the Perspex case, and installed into the cut down G5 case, it will be removable from it's metal frame that was held by the two screw's in the top of the Perspex case, and is now bolted into the G5 through the front of the G5's mesh panel, with the DVD slot perfectly centred in the G5's DVD bay . It will be a modded cube with a GA-H77tn motherboard(when they finally release them). And it will have to have a fan in the centre sucking air through it. I am also going to do the sensor switch in it's original position as well. I will have some more photo's up tomorrow night, and you will see more detail of what it will look like. Cheers, Rossi.

Here's the Cube's core locking drum attached to the G5's front panel, ready for the final cutting of the G5's case.
100_0561.JPG

This is gonna be interesting to watch.

Rossi, what are you gonna call it, a G Four and a Half?

Regards,
Ersterhernd

Hi Ersterhernd,
I was actually thinking of G9, but I can't say what my teenage son said about that.

Cheers.
Rossi.

Edit. Your probably correct, with 4 and a half, or how's about G4.5 ?

I didn't get too much done today, because I had to work back, but I got this far.
I got the empty case on ebay for $10, and it came without a door, so I had no problem's with cutting it up. But I had to save the Logo.
100_0563.JPG It's a shame I can't use the cutout section with the logo for the left side panel,but it was too small, so I will cut the right side in half and flip the lower half over to form the left side panel. I hope to finish all the major cut's tomorrow,and it will start to show it's form.
100_0564.JPG100_0565.JPG100_0566.JPG100_0567.JPG

Good Work Rossi, make us updates about your proyect look very

Thank you for your support fmanza,
I wish I had more spare time to get more done on it. As I have got it all sorted out in my head as what needs to be done to get it finished.

Cheers.
Rossi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back