Contribute
Register

G4 + G5 = A G4 Cube in a Modded G5 Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one addictive hobby.

That is an under statement. Again, your progress is very interesting and I am looking forward to more progress reports.

neil

Please be patient Neil, I am currently tied up doing a Father and Son project on a classic GM Holden pickup and hope to get back to the mini G5 as soon as I can, I am hoping to see if you, or one of the other experienced modders would be doing a mini pro or G5 case in a conventional configuration with side door and inner Perspex air deflector, as that would be a mighty little machine, especially with a Z77 ITX main board and i7 with water cooling and graphics card squeezed in, I am sure an SFX 450 watt PSU could be shoehorned in as well, and supply enough juice for the components. Rossi.

Please be patient Neil, I am currently tied up doing a Father and Son project on a classic GM Holden pickup and hope to get back to the mini G5 as soon as I can, I am hoping to see if you, or one of the other experienced modders would be doing a mini pro or G5 case in a conventional configuration with side door and inner Perspex air deflector, as that would be a mighty little machine, especially with a Z77 ITX main board and i7 with water cooling and graphics card squeezed in, I am sure an SFX 450 watt PSU could be shoehorned in as well, and supply enough juice for the components. Rossi.

Sounds like you want my scratch build http://www.tonymacx86.com/others/87637-high-power-mini-itx-scratch-build.html in a cut down G5 case.
:geek:

Good luck with the Holden.

Neat little project. No pun intended. I would guess the most difficult part would be the metal work to keep it looking clean.

That's exactly the components minihack, Now all you need is an old G5 that's not loved anymore and turn it into a G5 "minihack" I'm sure you have the skills and access to the tools, I am sitting here looking at mine,that's so close to finished but I don't want to do it in dribs and drabs, I have 2 weeks leave coming up very soon and will get stuck into it then. I've been running an SFX 450 Watt in my G5 Hackintosh for near on two years now, without any sign of trouble and it's pushing a core 2 duo on a GA- P35 mobo a 9600gt graphics card 4x fans and 2x HDD's 101_0382.JPG Cheers Rossi.

Neat little project. No pun intended. I would guess the most difficult part would be the metal work to keep it looking clean.

It's more time consuming looking at it this way and that and trying to picture what things are going to look like, but once you start the physical work it doesn't take too long, remembering though that this one is just a sealed box, with the cube's internals, I hope to have some more progress shots up soon. Cheers, Rossi.

That's exactly the components minihack, Now all you need is an old G5 that's not loved anymore and turn it into a G5 "minihack" I'm sure you have the skills and access to the tools, I am sitting here looking at mine,that's so close to finished but I don't want to do it in dribs and drabs, I have 2 weeks leave coming up very soon and will get stuck into it then. I've been running an SFX 450 Watt in my G5 Hackintosh for near on two years now, without any sign of trouble and it's pushing a core 2 duo on a GA- P35 mobo a 9600gt graphics card 4x fans and 2x HDD'sView attachment 49414 Cheers Rossi.

Sadly, with one thing and another it'd be a project too far at the moment. Am up to my eyeballs in stuff right now (but still find time to write this!). It will have to go into the when I have worked myself into some free time pile - others in the waiting list: G4 powermac case conversion (High powered Mini ITX), Mac Pro stuff (next?), a redesign to change a test bench E-ATX computer into a scratch built re-configurable huge test bench / versatile plexi case........the list goes on.

Sadly, with one thing and another it'd be a project too far at the moment. Am up to my eyeballs in stuff right now (but still find time to write this!). It will have to go into the when I have worked myself into some free time pile - others in the waiting list: G4 powermac case conversion (High powered Mini ITX), Mac Pro stuff (next?), a redesign to change a test bench E-ATX computer into a scratch built re-configurable huge test bench / versatile plexi case........the list goes on.

Amen to that, time is a huge factor in today's world. I am a single parent with 2 teenage kids that are both learner drivers wanting a car each, so finding the time for myself and my projects as well as the chore's is gold. but it's what keep's us modder's going, dreaming about our next project that get's us through the current one. Cheers. Brian.

I didn't get too much done today, because I had to work back, but I got this far.
I got the empty case on ebay for $10, and it came without a door, so I had no problem's with cutting it up. But I had to save the Logo.
View attachment 48342 It's a shame I can't use the cutout section with the logo for the left side panel,but it was too small, so I will cut the right side in half and flip the lower half over to form the left side panel. I hope to finish all the major cut's tomorrow,and it will start to show it's form.
View attachment 48343View attachment 48344View attachment 48345View attachment 48346

Okay you have me hooked. Your project is most interesting. I am thinking about following your lead and doing a slice and dice on the G5 Power Mac that I have sitting on my work table. I have pulled the water cooling CPU block but that is all. Looks like I should get through the dismantling phase and into the re-design phase.

I even caught myself planning the process steps to use my table saw to slice the chassis. This hobby is consuming me.

Good luck with your project and many of us are waiting more details on your project.

neil

Okay you have me hooked. Your project is most interesting. I am thinking about following your lead and doing a slice and dice on the G5 Power Mac that I have sitting on my work table. I have pulled the water cooling CPU block but that is all. Looks like I should get through the dismantling phase and into the re-design phase.

I even caught myself planning the process steps to use my table saw to slice the chassis. This hobby is consuming me.

Good luck with your project and many of us are waiting more details on your project.

neil
This is great news Neil, I was hoping one of the more experienced modders would take this on,
It is an awesome task that I have been mulling over, and took the easy route with the cube internals in the cut down G5 case.
I can't wait to see you start your post's on it, and I'm sure there will be plenty of other interested party's also chomping at the bit.
I am particulary interested in the layout of the mainboard, wether you are going to use a tray or not and what graphics you are planning to use.
I have two weeks leave coming up after Easter break and will finish the G5 cube then.
Enjoy your build, because when it's finished it will be a very unique machine, and I am sure will take pride of place amongst your other builds.
Good Luck with it, and looking forward to it.
Rossi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back