Contribute
Register

Freak's GA-X99M-GAMING 5 mATX Build - I7 5930K - GTX 970 - Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep 980 should work as nVidia updated the drivers to support it on 10.10.3 I'm ordering the PNY GTX 980, exhaust is out the back of the case, not sure about the MSI variant though...

Hmmm... just looked up the PNY ones. They look good too. I guess I'll have to just pick which ever one and go with it. Hopefully these will be strong enough to run my 4k monitor. Thanks again!

@thermie: Post your config.plist...

Thanks!!

I tried the following and the ssd_config.plist downloaded (sans nvidia, since my system doesn't have nvidia on it). Both had the same boot arguments, and both had the same boot result: freezing in the middle if the system was booting from Clover on the HDD. npci=0x2000 or 0x3000 made no substantial difference, though 0x3000 did get me a little father before locking up...

When booting from USB flash drive and selecting the Yosemite partition from there, either config.plist works.

The HDD is on SATA port 0.

Swapping the HDD with a SSD and reinstalling on it from scratch made no difference, though the "Still waiting for root device" error that sometimes took place seemed to go away with the SSD (until it locked up at a different point but wouldn't resume after 30 minutes.)

I wonder, should I try not deleting the logical volume Yosemite makes during its install, and enable the PartitionDXE-64 driver package when installing Clover on the partition?

Here's the config.plist file - thanks again!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>ACPI</key>
<dict>
<key>DSDT</key>
<dict>
<key>Debug</key>
<false/>
<key>Name</key>
<string>DSDT.aml</string>

</dict>
<key>DropTables</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Signature</key>
<string>DMAR</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Signature</key>
<string>SSDT</string>
<key>TableId</key>
<string>CpuPm</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Signature</key>
<string>SSDT</string>
<key>TableId</key>
<string>Cpu0Ist</string>
</dict>
</array>
</dict>
<key>Boot</key>
<dict>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>-v npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1 nv_disable=1</string>
<key>Fast</key>
<false/>
<key>Legacy</key>
<string>PBR</string>
<key>Log</key>
<false/>
<key>Timeout</key>
<integer>5</integer>
<key>XMPDetection</key>
<string>1</string>
</dict>

<key>Devices</key>
<dict>
<key>Audio</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<string>1</string>
</dict>

<key>USB</key>
<dict>
<key>AddClockID</key>
<false/>
<key>FixOwnership</key>
<false/>
<key>Inject</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</dict>
<key>GUI</key>
<dict>
<key>Hide</key>
<array>
<string>BOOTX64.EFI</string>
</array>
<key>Language</key>
<string>en:0</string>
<key>Mouse</key>
<dict>
<key>Enabled</key>
<true/>
<key>Speed</key>
<integer>8</integer>
</dict>
<key>Scan</key>
<dict>
<key>Entries</key>
<true/>
<key>Legacy</key>
<false/>
<key>Tool</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>TextOnly</key>
<false/>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Yosemite</string>
</dict>
<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<false/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>PatchVBios</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
<dict>
<key>AppleRTC</key>
<true/>
<key>AsusAICPUPM</key>
<false/>
<key>Debug</key>
<false/>
<key>KernelCpu</key>
<false/>
<key>KernelHaswellE</key>
<true/>
<key>KextsToPatch</key>
<array>

<dict>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
RXh0ZXJuYWw=
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleAHCIPort</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
SW50ZXJuYWw=
</data>
</dict>

</array>
</dict>

<key>SMBIOS</key>
<dict>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>MacPro5,1</string>
</dict>
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>Detect</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Thanks!!

I wonder, should I try not deleting the logical volume Yosemite makes during its install...
What logical volume? No need for PartitionDXE-64.

Post your config list in PHP tags to maintain the format.

What logical volume? No need for PartitionDXE-64.

Post your config list in PHP tags to maintain the format.

Oops, sorry about not using PHP tags. I will be more mindful in the future!

Much thanks for your taking the time to help, BTW!

Yosemite 10.10.3 installs a new partition scheme - coreStorage - automatically. After rebooting at one point this week, diskutil revealed a "logical" partition encompassing the boot HDD. I ran terminal, and ran diskutil coreStorage revert YosemiteHD to replace the original directory structure then rebooted. The coreStorage partition was also why EFI was not installing in the appropriate /EFI volume location.

I have another update and I am very embarrassed right now -- I had transposed the SATA ports with sSATA. That was why I wasn't able to boot Clover from the HDD. Port 0 on the motherboard was indicated but I didn't clock the extra s in sSATA. At first I enabled EHCI hands-off, but then I decided (on a whim) to look at the system board ports. The SATA ports are divvied between two groupings. sSATA 1-4 and SATA 0 and 1 are on the same 6-port block, with the remaining ports on the other grouping.

I also think it was, all along, the transposition of HDD ports that caused the reboot instability and never once the USB drivers.

So, power save aside (as expected for x99), the system is booting. Will get back to the audio drivers, and reinstalling onto the SSD with the ssd_config.plist you'd provided. PNY CL1100 480GB drive. Should be great!

I'll be trying this out later. I'm currently running Chimera for booting via a USB, although I want to get Clover on my SSD to boot. Installing Clover keeps failing on me for some reason, so I'll try fix that up.

Hmmm... just looked up the PNY ones. They look good too. I guess I'll have to just pick which ever one and go with it. Hopefully these will be strong enough to run my 4k monitor. Thanks again!

It will be. I believe it's strong enough to run (3) 4K monitors... Althought for me it'll just be a 27" 4K. But it'll easily handle 1 4K monitor and if you use the display port, you should get 60fps.

I'll be trying this out later. I'm currently running Chimera for booting via a USB, although I want to get Clover on my SSD to boot. Installing Clover keeps failing on me for some reason, so I'll try fix that up.

Please let us know how it turns out!

I just installed on a new SSD (PNY CS1100, 480GB) and had no problems. Clover does have a learning curve (but that is well worth it).

I'm doing a test render right now - load temps are awesome across the board (50/49/55/54/56/52, 50/50/55/53/57/50, et al, and sometimes all 6 cores are within 3 degrees of each other), all 12 threads under load, 3.56GHz speed, with processing power to spare, but reported CPU voltage used is only 0.18v. The sensors are not working, but this is currently an unsupported motherboard. Until it's supported I probably wouldn't try overclocking as Gigabyte tends to overdo voltage on Auto settings. In the next day or two I'll reinstall FakeSMC and see if that improves the CPU voltage readout.

I also noted the Activity Monitor's timer is off - in less than one minute, Terragen's "CPU Time" readout went from "01:52:44.46" to "2:00:45.70". It just went up another 2 minutes, as I typed that last time counter, LOL. I imagine that all goes back to x99 compatibility. The main system clock still runs at normal speec, this issue is just Activity Monitor.

But, wow, doing a 2560x1440 render at full AA and detail settings, this machine F-L-I-E-S. It's almost 40% done and it's been 15 minutes. (Terragen's render clock IS accurate, only Activity Monitor's is sped up.)

If I install a Linux partition, or Windows, and install system monitoring software, I could do a little overclocking and then feel comfortable running OS/X full time for rendering. With liquid cooling, getting this up to 3.9GHz per my old 4770k would be sweet.

Managed to get it working. Was booting in safemode which I forgot and it couldn't mount the drives it needed for EFI. Took a look at console and fixed it all up.

Only issue I face is some graphical bugs. I can't use all three displays, but other than that it runs fairly decently. My temps are quite similar to yours and I'm overclocked at 4.3, although I'll push up to 4.9 when I get the chance. No speedstepping yet, although hopefully that'll be working in the future along with all three monitors.

I've had it at 4.9 before, ran pretty stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back