Contribute
Register

[Fixed]Cannot Get To Installer (Didn't enable XHCI Handoff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
CPU
i7-10700KF
Graphics
RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Guys,

Thank you an advance for reading this. I have been running High Sierra flawlessly for about a year now on my first hackintosh build. (I have since upgraded the GPU to a liquid cooled gigabyte 1080ti, no other hardware changes) https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-starting-my-first-build.248783/

I STUPIDLY installed Mojave, and it bricked my pc. (No nvidia web drivers) I tried the work arounds and none helped. So I made a new usb drive with unibeast and high sierra, erased Mojave, but now when I get to clover and choose to install high sierra, I get to the apple logo, and the loading bar appears, but does nothing after that. I have tried verbose, safe mode, nothing works. Any thoughts or pieces of wisdom? I'm essentaly starting with a wiped NVME drive

(Also I've seen in other threads to try removing the gpu and go with internal graphics, tried it and it did not work)

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Thank you an advance for reading this. I have been running High Sierra flawlessly for about a year now on my first hackintosh build. (I have since upgraded the GPU to a liquid cooled gigabyte 1080ti, no other hardware changes) https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-starting-my-first-build.248783/

I STUPIDLY installed Mojave, and it bricked my pc. (No nvidia web drivers) I tried the work arounds and none helped. So I made a new usb drive with unibeast and high sierra, erased Mojave, but now when I get to clover and choose to install high sierra, I get to the apple logo, and the loading bar appears, but does nothing after that. I have tried verbose, safe mode, nothing works. Any thoughts or pieces of wisdom? I'm essentaly starting with a wiped NVME drive

(Also I've seen in other threads to try removing the gpu and go with internal graphics, tried it and it did not work)
So I made a new usb drive with unibeast and high sierra, erased Mojave, but now when I get to clover and choose to install high sierra, I get to the apple logo, and the loading bar appears, but does nothing after that.
Those of us reading your post about boot failure of a USB Installer disk, depend very much on information contained in the post that includes:

• The BIOS options chosen for the boot that includes: ( the stock answer "I have followed the GUIDE or I have not made any change" won't be useful) (1)BIOS Features Screen(s),(2) Peripherals screen shot showing : Initial Display First: , USB Controllers options, (3)Chipset Screen shot, (4) Power Management Screen shot to be uploaded to the Forum
    • It is very easy to get BIOS screen shots from Gigabyte Motherboard BIOS on a Flash disk formatted in FAT32 and inserted and accessed with F-12 key while viewing the BIOS screen to save that screen on that Flash disk by pressing ENTER key or clicking OK with Mouse on prompt and moving on to the next screen and so on until you get all needed screen shots saved in the flash drive
    • You don't even need a separate Flash disk, your High Sierra USB Installer disk has an EFI Partition formatted in FAT that has a lot of spare space to save all the Screen shots from BIOS.
    • . The saved images in BMP format have to be converted to PNG by opening in Preview and Exporting as PNG with a suitable title (instead of the default long number.) as the Forum cannot accept BMP.
  • Verbose boot screen Image of any problem boot screen.
  • EFI Folder or CLOVER folder from the Booting USB Installer disk compressed as a zip file uploaded to the Forum.
    • For steps see : #4
  • Any answer without the above items are hit or miss based on guess work.
  • Verbose boot screen gives a clue to possible cause of boot failure and BIOS and EFI or CLOVER the possible source for that cause.

Those of us reading your post about boot failure of a USB Installer disk, depend very much on information contained in the post that includes:

• The BIOS options chosen for the boot that includes: ( the stock answer "I have followed the GUIDE or I have not made any change" won't be useful) (1)BIOS Features Screen(s),(2) Peripherals screen shot showing : Initial Display First: , USB Controllers options, (3)Chipset Screen shot, (4) Power Management Screen shot to be uploaded to the Forum
    • It is very easy to get BIOS screen shots from Gigabyte Motherboard BIOS on a Flash disk formatted in FAT32 and inserted and accessed with F-12 key while viewing the BIOS screen to save that screen on that Flash disk by pressing ENTER key or clicking OK with Mouse on prompt and moving on to the next screen and so on until you get all needed screen shots saved in the flash drive
    • You don't even need a separate Flash disk, your High Sierra USB Installer disk has an EFI Partition formatted in FAT that has a lot of spare space to save all the Screen shots from BIOS.
    • . The saved images in BMP format have to be converted to PNG by opening in Preview and Exporting as PNG with a suitable title (instead of the default long number.) as the Forum cannot accept BMP.
  • Verbose boot screen Image of any problem boot screen.
  • EFI Folder or CLOVER folder from the Booting USB Installer disk compressed as a zip file uploaded to the Forum.
    • For steps see : #4
  • Any answer without the above items are hit or miss based on guess work.
  • Verbose boot screen gives a clue to possible cause of boot failure and BIOS and EFI or CLOVER the possible source for that cause.

You wont believe this (you will)

Im a double idiot and didnt have XHCI hand off enabled, it must have gotten turned off, that fixed it, I'm currently installing. It may not seem like you did anything cmn699, but you made me go over the installation guide one more time. I'm so dumb and I'm sorry i wasted your time, been fighting with this for 2-3 days and the answer was directly in front of my face. Thank you cmn699!!!

You wont believe this (you will)

Im a double idiot and didnt have XHCI hand off enabled, it must have gotten turned off, that fixed it, I'm currently installing. It may not seem like you did anything cmn699, but you made me go over the installation guide one more time. I'm so dumb and I'm sorry i wasted your time, been fighting with this for 2-3 days and the answer was directly in front of my face. Thank you cmn699!!!
You are a Greater Man than you want to admit by educating others by explaining what really happened. I salute you for your effort. Good luck:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back