Contribute
Register

Fix for failure NVIDIA Web Driver on High Sierra, black screen, panics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks;-) I must say that this particular post was hard to find in the midst of a long list of Nvidia related posts. This post fixed it for me. Notably the necessity of the complete clean up (cli commands option 2) of the NVIDIA Web Drivers in both directories '/Volumes/HDD/System/Library/Extensions/' and '/Volumes/HDD/Library/Extensions/' . Without this clean up the problem persisted.

- Samsung EVO 960 250GB NVME M.2 (the only reason I didn't give up and went back to Sierra early on)
Question, I'm sure this may have been answered else where.
I currently have an 960 500GB M.2 for Windows, and a EVO 850 normal SATA for MacOS HS.
So with this statement are you telling me if I went out and bought a EVO 960 M.2 for MacOS, it would work out the box?

I had the same problem, the fix? Just unplug and plug you HDMI cable, that'll do the trick!

This post addresses very specific issue which seems to be common problem world-wide - black screen or infinite reboot loop after installing NVIDIA Web Drivers.

View attachment 284837

You have installed High Sierra on your comp or upgraded Sierra into High Sierra and everything looks nice expect you month have proper graphics with your NVIDIA graphics card. So your next step is to install NVIDIA Web drivers and instead of having nice and smooth picture you got black screen or infinite reboot loop. If you upgraded from Sierra and have updated Sierra several times you might scratch your head, what has happened now, why previous methods doesn't work.

I assume that you read this topic because you already got into trouble and doesn't know how to solve your problem with NVIDIA web drivers.

How to get back access to the High Sierra GUI?

This is your primary goal once you lost access to your Desktop. According to various web recourses an easiest option is to remove NVDAStartupWeb.kext from /Library/Extension. If you have installed High Sierra properly you should have access to the Recovery Mode. So reboot you comp into Recovery mode and launch Termina and remove NVDAStartupWeb.kext from /Library/Extension. Replace HDD with name of your High Sierra startup disk.

Code:
rm -R /Volumes/HDD/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext
touch /Volumes/HDD/Library/Extensions/
reboot

or commands below to clean completely NVIDIA Web Drivers.
Code:
cd /Volumes/HDD/System/Library/Extensions/
rm -R GeF*.*
touch /Volumes/HDD/System/Library/Extensions/
cd /Volumes/HDD/Library/Extensions/
rm -R GeF*.* NVDA*.*
touch /Volumes/HDD/Library/Extensions/
reboot

Do some cleanup once you gain access to your Desktop

Once you got access back to your Desktop you have to do some cleanup. Mount your EFI partition and remove all these kexts:
  • Lilu.kext
  • NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext
  • NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
Check folders /System/Library/Extensions/ and /Library/Extensions/ for these kexts and remove these. Also check /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other etc for these kexts and remove these! Also remove FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext etc.

Uninstall completely NVIDIA Web Drivers.

Choose proper location for your kexts

I recommend to install your hackintosh kexts into /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other, which makes things a lot easier on High Sierra.

Install Clover driver EmuVariableUefi if not installed
Add EmuVariableUefi.efi into /EFI/CLOVER/Drivers64UEFI. With CLover Configuratior you can easily to do it from panel Install Drivers. On section "DRIVERS UEFI 64 BIT" should be button EmuVariableUefi grey. If not, then press it and EmuVariableUefi will be installed.

Download and install new NVIDIA Web Drivers fix kexts
Usage of Lilu.kext, NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext together can cause your HS to loop reboot as the latest NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext already has built in the NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext!

Use only the latest:
Do not use NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext with them!

Reboot

Enable SIP temporarily *
Update: Enabling SIP might not be necessary anymore. Seems that Nvidia has fixed issue with installation error, which occurred if SIP was disabled. At least installation of 378.10.10.10.25.102 on macOS 10.13.2 went fine with SIP disabled. But it depends which version of web Drivers you are going to install.

To avoid error during installation of NVIDIA Web Drivers you might choose to enable SIP temporarily. Edit Colver configuration file, set SIP related setting CsrActiveConfig to 0x00. Reboot.

Install NVIDIA Web driver

Download proper version of NVIIDA web drivers for your High Sierra.
See Full list of drivers.

Once you have got proper version of NVIDIA web drivers follow this procedure:
  • Mount EFI partition of your Clover
  • Edit Colver configuration file, set SIP related setting CsrActiveConfig to 0x67
  • Do not reboot yet!
  • Install Nvidia Web Driver and reboot as installer demands.

Polishing + installing CUDA
Install other kexts which might be relevant for your system.

UPDATE: New CYDA driver 9.0.214 avaialble. You can upgrade it easily from CUDA preference panel. Patch below not needed anymoe! Or download driver from here: CUDA driver 9.0.214

If you want to use CUDA you might need to patch it to work with current Nvidia drivers, as CUDA Framework is prepared to read only specific version of the GPU Drivers, and with the last update at the moment, it doesn't recognise the installed version.
  • Check the driver version from CUDA preference panel (for example GPU Driver Version: 10.25.28 378.10.10.10.15.117)
  • Go to /Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework/Versions/A/Libraries
  • Find closest dylib match to your driver version, on my case for 378.10.10.10.15.117 and duplicate it. Rename duplicated file, on my case libcuda_378.05.05.25_mercury copy.dylib into libcuda_378.10.10.10_mercury.dylib.
  • Copy /Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist on yourDdesktop
  • Add related lines at the end of NVDAResmanVersions section
Code:
<key>378.10.10.10</key>
<string>378.10.10.10</string>
  • Replace /Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist with an updated file.
  • run these commands on terminal:
Code:
sudo kextunload -b com.nvidia.CUDA
sudo kextload -b com.nvidia.CUDA

Voila, you should have CUDA working now.

Hardware Acceleration Issues
If macOS High Sierra is logging you out while you’re using Chrome, try opening up the Chrome web browser and going to the settings. At the bottom of the screen click ‘Advanced’, then turn off hardware acceleration.

Recommended readings
I'm getting gIOSreenlockstate 3 after installing Nvidia web driver

GPU : Nvidia GT 730 2GB DDR3
Connected to monitor via HDMI port
latest clover installed,
OS version : 10.13.2 (17C205)
SMBIOS : iMac 15.1
SYSTEM CONFIG in the signature.
CLOVER FOLDER IS ATTACHED
P.S : Web driver is enabled at config.plist

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 129
Last edited:
D15D1808-92B4-4BD9-AAC2-AA80942D55E2.jpeg
Hey guys I could really use some help here.. I have read through the comments on this post about 2 times through and can’t seem to make any progress.

I recently did a direct update to 10.13.1 and all was well aside from some glitchy UI that I was dealing with. After the 10.13.2 direct update, my pc gets stuck in a boot loop or boots to the black screen with a cursor if I set it to safe mode. Right now, I only have DVI monitor going to my GPU.

I do have the ability to boot into recovery but I can’t seem to properly input the terminal codes on p.1 to save my life. My HDD is called “Internal Drive” and I have been inputting the codes line by line, with the \space, so “Internal\ Drive” but I always end up getting no file or directory. A few just went through without any error but nothing seemed to happen.

While using 10.13.1, I specifically remember uninstalling Nvidia Web drivers and that dramatically reduced the amount of glitches I had. So I know I don’t have the drivers but I have no clue what kext files are in my HDD or clover.

In my BIOS, I have my intel graphics disabled, VT-d enabled, windows 8 features to windows 8, CMS support enabled with a boot mode to UEFI only.

If I could just get past the black screen, I’d have the ability to fix my clover settings and Kexts and follow the rest of the instructions, but for now I’m at at a loss. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! I’ve been doing this for about a year but I’m not the best at this so specifics and explainations are welcome.

If my sig doesn’t specify, I’m running a GA-z97x- gaming 7 with and intel i7 and an nvidia 660 TI with a single DVI display to my gpu.

**edit**
What the F**k.. on a hail marry I decided to type in my passcode on the black screen and in a fit of rage, clicked my mouse all over the screen and my display glitched on! Now my pc seems to be complete if the install it never apparently finished from 10.13.2. I will post more if I make any progress after this.

Last edited:
This post addresses very specific issue which seems to be common problem world-wide - black screen or infinite reboot loop after installing NVIDIA Web Drivers.

Thanks iLikeHackintosh, this had me pretty stumped booting 10.13.3 after upgrading from Sierra. Cleaning the old install by hand fixed it.

Thank you again ILikeHackingtosh. :)

GigaByte GA-Z97X-UD3H with i5 processor
Nvidia GTX 1060 6 GB

Did the OS update from 10.13.1 to 10.13.3 and the NVida update left me with the black screen. I updated Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsFixup under the EFI partition Others folder but no joy.
CSR is what did the trick with the latest Nvidia drivers

• Edit Clover configuration file, set SIP related setting CsrActiveConfig to 0x00
  • reboot
  • Edit Clover configuration file, set SIP related setting CsrActiveConfig to 0x67
  • Do not reboot yet!
  • Install Nvidia Web Driver and reboot as installer demands.
This is still required.

regards

Last edited:
FWIW, I had the same problem and miraculously, by just booting (clover options in the clover boot menu) with CsrActiveConfig to 0x00 I got Nvidia drivers working (but my mouse and pretty much everything else was frozen). Reboot, changed CsrActiveConfig to 0x67, now everything works perfectly fine... :-o

Hi,

I seem to be having the black screen issue after installing the Lilu, and fix up kexts also tried the fix app nothing seems to be working any help please?

I'm getting gIOSreenlockstate 3 after installing Nvidia web driver

GPU : Nvidia GT 730 2GB DDR3
Connected to monitor via HDMI port
latest clover installed,
OS version : 10.13.2 (17C205)
SMBIOS : iMac 15.1
SYSTEM CONFIG in the signature.
CLOVER FOLDER IS ATTACHED
P.S : Web driver is enabled at config.plist

Me too... This isn't working for me for Mac OS 10.13.3
I had this working in 10.13.0, did a fresh install to 10.13.3 using Unibeast, haven't messed with Mulitbeast yet... so everything basically fresh Unibeast, keeping older version of Clover, etc.

Now trying to get the video card working - always getting gIOSreenlockstate 3 after installing Nvidia web driver (when in verbose mode). In non-verbose mode, you see the progress bar go about half way with the apple logo, then you see the spinner.

To try to make this work,
In installed version 1.2.2 of Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext to CLOVER:kexts:Other
I tried with SIP enabled (rebooted), used the preference pane to download and install the video drivers (you could tell SIP was working, had to go into preference pane to allow the installation). Same problem on reboot, setting SIP to 0x67 before rebooting.
I can't find anything related to "CSM" in the BIOS for my motherboard, so that lead in this thread doesn't work.
I tried unplugging and replugging my HDMI cable - no dice...

I followed the guide exactly. just not working...

any ideas?! maybe I give up and go to just plain old Sierra.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 127
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back