Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey all, first time Hackintosh builder here. I just picked up an old G5 case, which I would like to use to build a dual boot Windows/Mac machine in. As far as parts, I was thinking along the lines of a dual core socket 1150 CPU for starters (Pentium maybe? An i3 is kinda spendy) will probably upgrade to an i5 later, a Gigabye MB (looking at a GA H81M HD, is it really worth it to get the H97 D3H?), a 1U server power supply, storage will be an SSD for OSx and a HDD for Windows, 4 gb of Transcend RAM that I have laying around (will add more later), and an unknown GPU (suggestions welcome!). Anyway,this is just a rough sketch, so suggestions and critique are welcome.
Thanks!

EDIT: Does the SSD have to be Samsung, or can I whatever brand I want?

look on the Buyer's Guide it has the hardware thats supported also for Haswel and Haswel Refresh when buying RAM make sure to look on the Memory Support List for which LGA1150 motherboard your looking at getting

look on the Buyer's Guide it has the hardware thats supported also for Haswel and Haswel Refresh when buying RAM make sure to look on the Memory Support List for which LGA1150 motherboard your looking at getting

The memory support list is REALLY important. My god, that seems to be the #1 culprit of all the freezing issues everyone's having.

However, I do believe in going by that doesn't always ensure things. Ie; I've had my brand new Hackintosh running for the last 3 hours without issues. After a couple or so hours over the first two days I figured out that turning off all C-States and upping the RAM voltage to 1.6V helped solve all my freezing problems (so far).

Thank god I'm doing OK so far, I got a wicked steal on memory; 16gb of Kingston HyperX Fury White for $110. I picked up two packs for a total of 32gb but it was clearance so I couldn't return it!

If building a new rig, I'd make sure I'd still have sometime to exchange RAM from the computer shop... so, buy locally!

Okay, in that case I will probably just go get 8Gb of whatever RAM on that list is the cheapest. (Right now it looks like some G.Skill)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back