Contribute
Register

Finder freezes on right click

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if the problem has been solved on my computer or not but all this evening I haven't experienced any problems since turning off System Preferences > Energy Saver > 'Put hard disks to sleep when possible'. I'll check back in if I notice anything different.

This issue has been plaguing me for months! Thanks for sharing this. I've been going nuts having to restart the computer every time I right click on a file in Finder.

Hi there,
I am running 10.11.5 on my Gigabyte Z170-UD5-TH board with i7 6700K and 970GTX near perfectly.
However I still experience this bug even after disabling the 'Put hard disks to sleep when possible'. I have reproduced the issue multiple times with and without Totalfinder, and on a clean install, but after a few hours of sleep when I wake up and right click anywhere in finder the spinning beach ball comes and my machine is unusable until I reboot it.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be or how to fix the freezes? Everything else is practically working perfectly :/

Thanks in advance

I also have this issue since Yosemite and now El-Capitan. I tried the power save tip but that does not work. This is very annoying.

I also have this issue since Yosemite and now El-Capitan. I tried the power save tip but that does not work. This is very annoying.

Didn't fix the problem for me either. I did find that I could just log out and back in to fix instead of having to reboot every time.

Have you implemented Native Powermanagement? Any kernel panic log?

Turns out my problem was the invidia driver. I had started the build with a GTX750 but got the on board video working to my satisfaction. I removed the card but never uninstalled the driver.

FYI, every time the finder crashed, it would drop a file here:

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Finder_[Date]_[Machine Name].hang

Yeah, that doesn't work for me either. It happens when right-clicking files in Finder, System Report, etc.. Just did a fresh install to try and fix the problem. Didn't fix it. Running 10.11.6.

This problem plagues me too. Try disabling TRIM if you have an SSD: sudo trimforce disable
That worked for me until I entered: sudo pmset -a standby 0 && sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0
I was able to undo the pmset ... etc by "Prevent the computer from sleeping ..." in the Energy Sever. Now things are stable. HOWEVER, the first right click in the Finder after re-booting takes 65 seconds, after that, right click works fine.

I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but has anyone gotten any further in diagnosing why we need to disable "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" in System Preferences>Energy Saver> ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back