Contribute
Register

Final Cut X - GPU usage when rendering - 5700 XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely understand this. The only reason I did try this was because tedyun mentioned that he enabled the IGPU in the BIOS as well as qbe saying that for the best performance use iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS, IGPU only as headless.

Sorry for the confusion.

You can enable IGPU in BIOS without setting it to being default.

I'm just the messenger here! Others have set in the bios to have the iGPU as the "Initial Display Output" option on Gigabyte and Asus motherboards which reportedly speeds up rendering in FCPX. When I do this, I still get video coming from my dGPU (Vega 64), with or without a monitor connected to my mobo output. What I believe is happening is all video outs are getting a mirrored signal.

@Diorama experimented extensively to get his rendering times down. You can track his progress in that link I posted. I think what got my rendering times down was to

1. enable the iGPU,
2. set it as primary display (although in retrospect, I didn't try it without this option)
3. delete the iGPU framebuffer from my DeviceProperties

I am running iMac 19,1 because I need Sidecar

In this config, the usage goes from iGPU to predominantly the dGPU. I use the HWMonitorSMC2 to observe the usage differences between the GPUs. My Bruce FCPX render test dramatically shifts from about 50s to 15s.

I think Diorama was able to get that down to 8s using his tweaks. I think he is running MacPro 1,1 and disabled WEG.

I completely understand this. The only reason I did try this was because tedyun mentioned that he enabled the IGPU in the BIOS as well as qbe saying that for the best performance use iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS, IGPU only as headless.

Sorry for the confusion.

I'm just the messenger here! Others have set in the bios to have the iGPU as the "Initial Display Output" option on Gigabyte and Asus motherboards which reportedly speeds up rendering in FCPX. When I do this, I still get video coming from my dGPU (Vega 64), with or without a monitor connected to my mobo output. What I believe is happening is all video outs are getting a mirrored signal.

@Diorama experimented extensively to get his rendering times down. You can track his progress in that link I posted. I think what got my rendering times down was to

1. enable the iGPU,
2. set it as primary display (although in retrospect, I didn't try it without this option)
3. delete the iGPU framebuffer from my DeviceProperties

I am running iMac 19,1 because I need Sidecar

In this config, the usage goes from iGPU to predominantly the dGPU. I use the HWMonitorSMC2 to observe the usage differences between the GPUs. My Bruce FCPX render test dramatically shifts from about 50s to 15s.

I think Diorama was able to get that down to 8s using his tweaks. I think he is running MacPro 1,1 and disabled WEG.
with my previous build - vega56 and 8core x299, using iMacPro, BruceX was around 9-10sec (fcpx 10.4.7 / 10.5.3-4

Are you talking about setting my 5700 XT as default in FCPX, or in the BIOS?

In the end I have enabled DGPU in the bios and FCPX has by default used the 5700 XT in the preferences.

I was just trying to find the optimal performance for rendering/transcoding by either using the SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 with iGPU enabled in the BIOS vs SMBIOS iMac17,1 with the DGPU enabled in the BIOS.

In the end I didn't seem to notice much difference in performance with FCPX when trying both options. Your responses are appreciated :)
from my findings it really depends on your workflow.

If all you do is export from fcpx to h264 using quicksync (and you dont mind the not so good quality), imac smbios is way to go. you can have igpu enabled in bios, but boot 5700xt

if you work in many formats, export prores etc, imacpro smbios is more powerful. (also you can feed this file to handbrake for lot better quality)

havent tried just basic rendering, as with 5700xt i usually dont render until the final export.

also i wastn able to recreate diorama setup and speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back