Contribute
Register

Final Cut X crash with R9 280X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170Z-UD3 << need manufacturer name >> See Forum Rules !!
CPU
i5 6600K
Graphics
<< need model number >> See Forum Rules !!
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
i just finished installing this video card R9 280X but everytime that i tried to run a final cut project its crash,i was using iMac 14,1 with Intel HD Graphics 4600 on El Capitan.i just changed to MacPro3,1 and still the same problem,my motherboard is GA-Z97X-UD5H,thanks in advance.

Which R280X card? Kinda useful knowledge to know :) XFX cards seem to be problematic.

Not sure MacPro3,1 is the right system definition. I run dual Vapor-X 280X cards with FCP X on a Z97X UD5H Black with no problems, from memory I use 14,1. I'm pretty certain that 3,1 is not the right thing to do.

What installation method did you use?

I'm on Sys Def 14,2 and all is great with my dual 7970's (essentially same as 280x's) in FCPX

Which R280X card? Kinda useful knowledge to know :) XFX cards seem to be problematic.

Not sure MacPro3,1 is the right system definition. I run dual Vapor-X 280X cards with FCP X on a Z97X UD5H Black with no problems, from memory I use 14,1. I'm pretty certain that 3,1 is not the right thing to do.

What installation method did you use?

is not a XFX video card,this the video card i bought "Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP Dual-X AMD PCI Express x16",i use the clover installation method.

I'm on Sys Def 14,2 and all is great with my dual 7970's (essentially same as 280x's) in FCPX

thank you man well im going to change Sys Def to 14,2 i was on Sys Def 14,1 before i changed it to Sys Def 3,1

if i try to open FCX with a new library,FCX doesnt crash,but im working on to FCX projects that i need to finish and FCX crash when i try to open my projects:banghead:

one question guys should i disable the intel graphic card?
also on the Bios i have these 5 options,i know IGFX is for the intel video,the other 4 are for the GPU,to boot with the R9 280X i selected PCI but what about PCI 1,2 and 3?i think i installed the GPU in the middle or last pci slot.

i just finished installing this video card R9 280X but everytime that i tried to run a final cut project its crash,i was using iMac 14,1 with Intel HD Graphics 4600 on El Capitan.i just changed to MacPro3,1 and still the same problem,my motherboard is GA-Z97X-UD5H,thanks in advance.
This is quite odd. I have (almost) the same Motherboard and CPU (no dedicated graphics though) and I also experience graphics related crashes - whenever I start the Photos app, the machine spontaneously reboots. At least a few others have reported similar problems with GigaByte Z97 boards and HD4600:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...opening-photos-app-for-the-first-time.202747/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/sierra-keeps-turning-off-my-pc.205781/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/sierra-hard-crashes-30-seconds-after-login.205013/

Some mention that disabling XMP fixes their issue, but not all - personally I see no difference with XMP disabled and lower RAM speed, so I suspect these are separate issues.

/n0dder

NB As a curiosity, I did have the same issue initially with Photos on El Capitan, but after a 10.11.1 (or .2, can't remember) the problem disappeared.

Last edited:
Same exact issue as Ni6htWalker's for me. Gigabyte z97xSLI, Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X.
FCPX crashes if I live Intel IGPU enabled with Clover injection. If I disable IGPU in BIOS card works very well. No FCPX crashes but machine won't wake from sleep then. Running macOS Sierra. Tried tons of settings including Nvidia GT 740 SC as a "helper". Turned clover Intel injection on and off. No combination is good enough for me. So for now running on nvidia alone.

Same exact issue as Ni6htWalker's for me. Gigabyte z97xSLI, Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X.
FCPX crashes if I live Intel IGPU enabled with Clover injection. If I disable IGPU in BIOS card works very well. No FCPX crashes but machine won't wake from sleep then. Running macOS Sierra. Tried tons of settings including Nvidia GT 740 SC as a "helper". Turned clover Intel injection on and off. No combination is good enough for me. So for now running on nvidia alone.

you know i dont really care for the wake from sleep issue because all the time im working on video projects and rendering projects so i will disable the IGPU in the Bios to see if fix the FCX projects crash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back