Contribute
Register

Final Cut X crash with R9 280X

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is quite odd. I have (almost) the same Motherboard and CPU (no dedicated graphics though) and I also experience graphics related crashes - whenever I start the Photos app, the machine spontaneously reboots. At least a few others have reported similar problems with GigaByte Z97 boards and HD4600:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...opening-photos-app-for-the-first-time.202747/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/sierra-keeps-turning-off-my-pc.205781/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/sierra-hard-crashes-30-seconds-after-login.205013/

Some mention that disabling XMP fixes their issue, but not all - personally I see no difference with XMP disabled and lower RAM speed, so I suspect these are separate issues.

/n0dder

NB As a curiosity, I did have the same issue initially with Photos on El Capitan, but after a 10.11.1 (or .2, can't remember) the problem disappeared.

i never had any issue using HD4600 on my hackintosh,i think the app crash is because people dont use the right Sys Def.

see if you have new pro format drivers, update FCPX version, disable onboard video in bios, try deleting FCPX preferences (i think you launch it while holding shift).

ok guys good news disabled the IGPU did the trick,FCX its not crashing but now my monitor colors change its looks a bit like burry,dark not the same color like the IGPU,is there any way to adjust the settings in the R9 280X?

Ok, First of all disable the onboard graphics if you have a 280X (or a pair of them).

1. FCPX will work (I think) with an internal graphics card, but the performance may be rubbish. Certainly rendering can be problematic as its not clear what FCP X chooses. FCP X is optimised heavily for FCPX. The internal graphics card is vastly inferior to your AMD and offers nothing the AMD card doesn't have.

2. Don't mix and match nVidia and AMD cards for FCP X work.

3. Sleep is a known issue on AMD cards and Clover. If sleep is important to you, you have a problem :) I simply ignore sleep.

4. 280X PCI slot position makes little difference. The difference in bus speed seems immaterial when I did my testing on a Mac Pro.

5. The system definition is important. I use 14,2. I *think* 3,1 is if you have ECC type memory (or similar).

6. The Sapphire Radeon cards work very well.

7. The Gigabyte Z97X UD5H boards work very well. I have one. No issues so long as you have the right RAM.

Ok, First of all disable the onboard graphics if you have a 280X (or a pair of them).

1. FCPX will work (I think) with an internal graphics card, but the performance may be rubbish. Certainly rendering can be problematic as its not clear what FCP X chooses. FCP X is optimised heavily for FCPX. The internal graphics card is vastly inferior to your AMD and offers nothing the AMD card doesn't have.

2. Don't mix and match nVidia and AMD cards for FCP X work.

3. Sleep is a known issue on AMD cards and Clover. If sleep is important to you, you have a problem :) I simply ignore sleep.

4. 280X PCI slot position makes little difference. The difference in bus speed seems immaterial when I did my testing on a Mac Pro.

5. The system definition is important. I use 14,2. I *think* 3,1 is if you have ECC type memory (or similar).

6. The Sapphire Radeon cards work very well.

7. The Gigabyte Z97X UD5H boards work very well. I have one. No issues so long as you have the right RAM.

1 yes i disabled the onboard graphics and no more FCX crash

2 yeah i know that,cool tip:thumbup:

3 yeah i read about the slepping issues with AMD cards and Clover but i can live with that.

4 cool thanks for leeting me know:thumbup:

5 yeah im just changed my system definition to 14,2

6 yes it does:headbang:

7 i used to have some freeze with yosemite when i connected external HD but with El Capitan everything works fine.

Last edited:
i never had any issue using HD4600 on my hackintosh,i think the app crash is because people dont use the right Sys Def.
Which Sys Def would you recommend? I have tried 14.2, 15.1 and 15.2 all behave the same in terms of crashing when Photos starts doing it's housekeeping stuff.

Regards,
n0dder

Which Sys Def would you recommend? I have tried 14.2, 15.1 and 15.2 all behave the same in terms of crashing when Photos starts doing it's housekeeping stuff.

Regards,
n0dder

if you use a GPU use 14,2 is what im using with El Capitan Intel Skylake
for El Capitan with Intel Skylake i was using MacPro3,1 with the onboard graphics

For Haswell builds, toleda recommends iMac 14,1 for HD4600 and iMac14,2 for graphics cards.

For Haswell builds, toleda recommends iMac 14,1 for HD4600 and iMac14,2 for graphics cards.
Ok thanks, just tested 14.1 to make sure, but that crashes too, so in my setup there is no difference between 14.1, 14.2, 15.1 and 15.2 - they all crash when (and only when) photoanalysisd gets going.

Regards,
n0dder

Ok thanks, just tested 14.1 to make sure, but that crashes too, so in my setup there is no difference between 14.1, 14.2, 15.1 and 15.2 - they all crash when (and only when) photoanalysisd gets going.

Regards,
n0dder

very weird man i dont have any issues with Photos.!!!maybe you should try to reinstall your mac osx.

Clover settings for me is :
  • IGPU (intel hd) must be GFX@2 (GFX@1) (rename patch GFX>IGPU disable)
  • Injection of intel card is NO
FCPX not crashing with this settings , but we have Ghost monitor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back