Contribute
Register

Final Cut X crash with R9 280X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, First of all disable the onboard graphics if you have a 280X (or a pair of them).

1. FCPX will work (I think) with an internal graphics card, but the performance may be rubbish. Certainly rendering can be problematic as its not clear what FCP X chooses. FCP X is optimised heavily for FCPX. The internal graphics card is vastly inferior to your AMD and offers nothing the AMD card doesn't have.

2. Don't mix and match nVidia and AMD cards for FCP X work.

3. Sleep is a known issue on AMD cards and Clover. If sleep is important to you, you have a problem :) I simply ignore sleep.

4. 280X PCI slot position makes little difference. The difference in bus speed seems immaterial when I did my testing on a Mac Pro.

5. The system definition is important. I use 14,2. I *think* 3,1 is if you have ECC type memory (or similar).

6. The Sapphire Radeon cards work very well.

7. The Gigabyte Z97X UD5H boards work very well. I have one. No issues so long as you have the right RAM.
How do you disable onboard graphics? Sorry if I'm ultra newbie here. I just want to get FCPX to work.
I have the same cards you have Rwillett. Got it based on your posts and recommendation. any help would be appreciated.

How do you disable onboard graphics? Sorry if I'm ultra newbie here. I just want to get FCPX to work.
I have the same cards you have Rwillett. Got it based on your posts and recommendation. any help would be appreciated.

you disable onboard graphics on the Bios,Peripherals/Internal Graphics.

Thanks. disabled onboard graphics and FCPX doesn't crash anymore... however, playback is not working. any thoughts?
no idea man FCX its working fine on my system.

Ok. Everything is working great now.
Playback wasn't working because audio was set to something different other than HDMI so its all good.
Bruce X test came in at 19 seconds. I have to think that's pretty good? Bruce X on my 2013 fully loaded MBP came in at 90 seconds so I'm happy.

Does anyone know why it won't shut down (computer) though? Even if I select shut-down, it still re-starts the computer.

Ok. Everything is working great now.
Playback wasn't working because audio was set to something different other than HDMI so its all good.
Bruce X test came in at 19 seconds. I have to think that's pretty good? Bruce X on my 2013 fully loaded MBP came in at 90 seconds so I'm happy.

Does anyone know why it won't shut down (computer) though? Even if I select shut-down, it still re-starts the computer.

on clover configurator tick the FixShutdown box.

i just get my second Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Dual-X 3GB,it did the BruceX Test in 10 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back