Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-SOC
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
Intel HD4600 on-board
Mac
  1. iMac
After weeks of scratching my head and frustration and unanswered posts, this neophyte could not figure out why I HAD to boot from my USB and select my internal drive in order for my installation to recognize my ethernet network. I finally compared the bdmesg output between the booting with the USB, first, and booting directly from the internal drive. What I discovered is that I needed to add an Extensions directory to /Extra and include the IONetworkingFamily.kext. Now I can boot straight to my internal drive without the USB!

I know others were aware, but in all my weeks of searching, I never had this kind of thing spelled out. I wonder what other kexts would benefit from being in that directory?

After weeks of scratching my head and frustration and unanswered posts, this neophyte could not figure out why I HAD to boot from my USB and select my internal drive in order for my installation to recognize my ethernet network. I finally compared the bdmesg output between the booting with the USB, first, and booting directly from the internal drive. What I discovered is that I needed to add an Extensions directory to /Extra and include the IONetworkingFamily.kext. Now I can boot straight to my internal drive without the USB!

I know others were aware, but in all my weeks of searching, I never had this kind of thing spelled out. I wonder what other kexts would benefit from being in that directory?

Nothing should be installed to /Extra/Extensions as putting things there precludes using kernel cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back