Contribute
Register

EVGA 550 Ti on Mountain Lion - Panic on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
[solved] EVGA 550 Ti on Mountain Lion - Panic on boot

Hey all,

after much head scratching today, and a few clean installs, I managed to get my first ever hackintosh system working... sort of. It works great using my on board graphics, but when I try to use my EVGA GTX 550 Ti, with or without GraphicsEnabler set to yes or no...... it gets ugly.

I don't have a picture handy, but when I try booting with my graphics card set as the main graphics device, it gives a kernel panic shortly after boot. The last line off the top of my head is:

"kdp_poll: no debugger device"

I should note, this is after I tried installing the official nVidia CUDA package, as well as the OpenCL patch from MultiBeast. Like I said earlier, I've tried with a number of flags... -x won't even work now. I've just about exhausted every resource I could find on these forums & others (I went through that 100+ page topic looking for answers, but it seems it was geared more towards people who already had working cards. I cant even boot in).

Is this an issue any one else has experienced? It's really the only major roadblock I've experienced in my hackintosh quest. Thanks for any help.

For reference, my hardware:

UPDATE: SOLUTION:: thanks to stehor and PJALM for helping me figure this out. If anyone else has similar hardware and is experiencing this issue, this is how we fixed it:

1) boot into your system somehow... I used my iGPU, shared memory set to 64mb, etc. When I used my onboard graphics, I didn't need to use safemode, so I only used the flag -v for verbose output.

2) Install the nVidia Web Drivers (thank you PJALM!) available here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-313.01.01f03-driver.html (subject to change depending on when you are reading this)

3) To install the drivers above your system definition has to be MacPro 3,1 - you can change this in MultiBeast or another SMBIOS editor. But usually you'll have to reboot for the system to update its own definition of itself.

4) reboot, use your graphics card output instead of the onboard graphics.

5) when booting up now, I had to use -f and GraphicsEnabler=Yes (as well as -v so I could see whts happening). YMMV here, you may not need to use GE=Yes or -f

6) profit! I got in after this and edited my boot flags so hopefully I wont need to fuss again in the future. Thanks again to everyone who helped.

try using your unibeast thumb drive and use flag -f aslo note ti cards have issues

Hi stehor, thanks for the reply.

I understood going into this I would be wrangling some problems with my graphics card. But my understanding was that it was more of a freeze issue & stuff related to sleep/wake. I figured I would at least be able to boot...

I'm going to try your recommendation, but would this mean booting with that USB stick permanently?

ALSO: here is a picture of my verbose startup with the graphics set to PCI-E in my bios. Again, note my monitor is my TV, connected to my card through HDMI:
IMG_20130809_003318.jpg

u can add the -f to the .plist in the extra folder then wont need unibeast thumb drive.sometimes if the bootloader doesnt get in stalled right will need -f too

dart=0 disables vt-d its used mostley for asus mobos and only if u have vt-d in your cpu

Making progress. In my UEFI (I realized I should stop calling it BIOS...) I changed my internal graphics share memory back to AUTO (It was set to 64mb for the installation), and disabled Render Standby and Deep Render Standby (*edit: also disabled multi-monitor). Then I booted using boot flags -v and -f; this resulted in me getting much farther than last time. The last snag is the monitor shuts off instead of loading up my desktop. I feel like I'm so close.

heres the kext for the bcm57781 lan note most people already note that asrock mobos need 32mb shared if using 64mb chimera/chameleon has freeze issues

Attachments

• 3089-BCM57781.zip
    620.2 KB · Views: 120
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back