Contribute
Register

Ersterhernd's NUCiMac G4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Build Log 4 - Power Supplies

Cabling to the internal Power Brick is wired through the stock G4 plug via the stock G4 2-pin PSU power connector. The earth wire fastens to the case with one screw. Connect/Disconnect takes about 20 seconds.

tst6.jpg

Ersterhernd

Hi Ersterhernd!

Quick question for you.

How do you connect the stock G4 2-pin PSU power connector to the NUC power brick?

Cheers

Hi iCubeFan,

As you know, The NUC uses a 'Mickey Mouse' style cord (on this one I had to buy separately) and I cut it to about 12" length. Stripped the three wires off and soldered two of them. The cord had blue & brown which mated up to the G4 pigtail, and a green/yellow which I crimped on a circle connector and bolted to the faraday cage.

Wrapped the soldered joints with electrical tape too.

Ersterhernd

Hi iCubeFan,

As you know, The NUC uses a 'Mickey Mouse' style cord (this one I has to buy separately) and I cut it to about 12" length. Stripped the three wires off and soldered two of them. The cord had blue & a brown which mated up to the G4 pigtail, and a green/yellow which I crimped on a circle connector and bolted to the faraday cage.

Wrapped the soldered joints with electrical tape too.

Ersterhernd

Thanks for your quick reply!

iCubeFan

Sometimes its great to be in the 'right place at the right time'. I was the first responder to this local Craigslist ad a couple of days ago, within 10 minutes of it's posting in the 'FREE' section.

c2vi.jpg

As it turned out, the vendor lived about 5 minutes from our place, and contacted me back stating I was first of fifteen replies to the ad, and could come and pick it up if I wanted. Even though it was non-working, I figured perhaps it'll make a nice moddiing project someday. ( Perhaps I'll let Kiwi pave the road to success with his G5 first! ;) )

Got it home, and sure enough, the LCD didn't show an image, but the system was booting to OSX because the sleep function started when I pressed the power button after booted. I thought, hmmmm maybe a simple PRAM reset will fix it? Much to my surprise, it did. The system hasn't a mark on it, and I've updated it 10.4 to 10.5.8 flawlessly. Its been running for 3 days now without a glitch.

Cost? ZERO.

Some things you simply cannot argue with...

Cheers!

Hihi! I knew, that your new project would be an iMac G4 ++, I saw it in my crystal ball. ;)

Good luck!

Cheers!

MacTester

BTW: My Picaxe model railroad controller has now an IR receiver, which allows to control the trains with my Sony CD-player remote. This function could be interesting for a hackintosh...

LoL I doubt I'll actually mod it, as it's good enough for basic use as-is.

Then again, you never know... ;)

It's the 17" iSight model, Kiwi. A+++ condition. Dead pixel test came up clean, too.

I'll be watching your thread closely, just so you know.

Cheers!

I am not sure how much use my build will be to you, the iSight model you have is a significant redesign from the one I have. The iSight model changed to front acess, meaning you have to remove the LCD first to get access to the components underneath.

You're right, that would be much different and more difficult to work with.

It's really not bad the way it is anyway, for being the age it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back