Contribute
Register

Ersterhernd's NUCiMac G4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of making my own iMac G4 20" mod with a NUC and early testing shows that the NUC runs fine with 12V in. I need to run some more computaionallly intensive test but that's a good news since that one less part you need to fit in the dome (the 12 to 19 v up converter)..

Greg

After some more reading, I'm going to make an unholy amalgam of your's and dremeljunkie's builds. Try and use the internal PSU with the picoPSU and a 19V upconverter. With teh bonus that I'll have an optical drive.

Any words of advice?

Well see how it goes.

Wow, that's one AMBITIOUS project! Space usage will be of paramount importance.

Good Luck!

So... any particular advice? areas where you anticipate that I might lose my marbles?

I am in the process of making my own iMac G4 20" mod with a NUC and early testing shows that the NUC runs fine with 12V in. I need to run some more computaionallly intensive test but that's a good news since that one less part you need to fit in the dome (the 12 to 19 v up converter)..

Greg

Wow. That would be awesome! Long term would that be a danger to the motherboard or any of the components?

So... any particular advice? areas where you anticipate that I might lose my marbles?

It'll be challenging to fit all that hardware in there with the G4 PSU. The DVD drive takes a TON of room. Mactester kept his, and faced severe space restrictions even using the NUC PSU as I did. Also, I believe the G4 PSU runs different than a regular ATX one does. Dremeljunkie covers that topic in his project.

Theres no way to adjust any hardware positioning after the base screws on, everything must fit safely before the final 4 bolts go in. Risk of a short goes higher the tighter is inside. Having done two of these and watching Mactester build his, I have to say your goals are very ambitious. I'd say continually ensure your base bolts on properly after each step, don't take a chance leaving it to the end of the project.

Cheers!

Greg

Hi Greg, have you tested your inverter yet? Does it need 24v? Are you using the G4 PSU?

I thought some form of upconverter would be required for that if using the NUC PSU, but I haven't worked with a 20" so don't know for sure. The inverter on the 17" is a 12v part. I'm planning a 20" mod at some point so am very interesting in knowing.

Ersterhernd

Updated both my NUCiMac's to 10.9.1 without any issue whatsoever. The NUC took the update like a champ.

Ersterhernd

The DVD drive takes a TON of room.

...Theres no way to adjust any hardware positioning after the base screws on, everything must fit safely before the final 4 bolts go in. Risk of a short goes higher the tighter is inside...

You're right! That is a space hog. But I just had a brainwave. External slim dvd like this is about 1/3 of the size... And I actually have one floating around.

http://www.tmart.com/Black-USB-Exte...aign=product&gclid=CKijlbS2xLsCFUzZQgodlh8AEg

Attachments

• $T2eC16hHJH0FG2hm,G27BScZoRiIkQ~~60_3.JPG
    $T2eC16hHJH0FG2hm,G27BScZoRiIkQ~~60_3.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 153
I've got 8 computers running in my house, all modded running OSX and not one of them has an internal DVD. I use a 20 dollars USB external similar to the one you linked to. 99.9% of the time it sits in my desk drawer.

Esthetetics are the primary reason they are installed in the G4 and G5 builds. Preserving original functionality is important to some, and not too others. Just a matter of preference. DVD technology is fairly redundant now in all but the occasional rare circumstance.

Just my 2c.

Cheers!

Preserving original functionality is important to some, and not too others. Just a matter of preference. DVD technology is fairly redundant now in all but the occasional rare circumstance.

You're probably right, gotta let the old iMac poke it's tongue out tho ;)I found that the slim dvd fits very nicely, I'm sure it'll still be tight, tho. It might help that I'm going to try to use the original PSU. we'll see. I'm quite impressed with the board BTW. just finished the Mavericks install.

Poke its tongue out! LOL

Should be interesting to see your project develop. The more of these we see, the better.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back