Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, just did the kext edit. But since I am booting from USB (haven't got boot from SDD to work yet...), do I have to have a system/library/extensions folder on USB, or just on the SDD? Just trying to figure out how to run KextWizard. By the way, do I need to force kext load in config.plist? And since I plan on just using my RX card, do I even need to worry about that SKL business? thanks!

Ok, after applying the enable all cores fix, GeekBench is 133226. Lux was 13445, now 15750. So this is pretty cool! Showing 64 compute units for my RX480. Is that right? Now I will test FCPX. Any consensus on what version is stable? thanks!

Also, what should I do about wake from sleep and/or any other related issues. I did notice that I left computer, came back and screen was black and computer was seemingly turned off. Then touched keyboard/mouse and computer was instantly back on. So I guess that was some sort of return from hibernate/sleep or whatever.

Anyway, thanks again for the help! Look forward to reporting more results.

Brian

**As of 12/3/16 Polaris 10 support is in Sierra Beta 4 version, and now there is Vega 10 (the new unreleased AMD card Polaris10xt2) in the AMD9500Controllerkext.

So... newb question... does this mean that if one is running beta 4, the RX480 will run with acceleration OOB without any modifications?

Any predictions for the upcoming "full" release of Sierra supporting the RX480 OOB with no Kexting?

How about other cards like the Fury X?

Sorry for being a newb.. thanks.

Updated to 10.12.3.
To do so I used some tips from ITSage site (link: www.theitsage.com/install-radeon-rx-480-gpu-macos-sierra/)

Steps:
1. cloned drive and EFI partition
2. Run updates using terminal instead of App Store, to allow me to edit the kexts prior to rebooting.
(sudo softwareupdate -i -a)
3. Then edited the AMDRadeonX4100.kext and the AMD9500Controller.kext in the same fashion as before.
4. After reboot, I ran multibeast to reinstall my audio (ALC1150 in my case), and rebooted again.
5. Lastly, I applied the "enable-baffin-cus-script" mentioned on the ITSage website to enable more computing cores on the RX480. The link to the script and the terminal commands are listed at the ITSage website link above in the section titled "Performance Easter Egg".
6. Reboot and test.

Much to my delight, there does seem to be a nice OpenCL performance boost with the changes.
Here's my latest benchmarks. Compared to my prior post, this is definitely better.

BruceX time = 8 sec now (was about 11 sec before)

View attachment 244022 View attachment 244023 View attachment 244024 View attachment 244025 View attachment 244026
I see that you're using a dual RX 480, but I was informed that crossfire is not supported in macOS. So is yours working? how do you make it work?

Dual Rx 480s do work for some systems according to gigamaxx. Skylake does not work and will just result in a black screen even though you will hear the cards turn on. I'm wondering if putting it in an x16/x4 config will work as I know for sure the x8/x8 does not. Also technically crossfire does not work but certain program can utilize both GPUs. Feelsbad since most motherboards do not allow disabling PCI-e lanes which would be nice if you have dual Rx 480s for windows.

Edit: x16/x4 also doesn't work. Damn probably gonna have to return my second one :(

Last edited:
I see that you're using a dual RX 480, but I was informed that crossfire is not supported in macOS. So is yours working? how do you make it work?
Multiple GPU computing is not the same as CrossFire

So... newb question... does this mean that if one is running beta 4, the RX480 will run with acceleration OOB without any modifications?

Any predictions for the upcoming "full" release of Sierra supporting the RX480 OOB with no Kexting?

How about other cards like the Fury X?

Sorry for being a newb.. thanks.

The Polaris 10 support was newly added at that time, the RX 460 is Polaris 11. You still need to do the Kext info.plist edit for RX 470-480s or other Fury cards. You may get lucky and the Fake ID 0x67EF1002 may work for you for RX 480. If it doesnt work use the kext mod.

Gigabyte RX 460 is OOB or the closest to OOB for any new AMD card. All you need to do is set to IGPU or integrated graphics mode.

Ok, after applying the enable all cores fix, GeekBench is 133226. Lux was 13445, now 15750. So this is pretty cool! Showing 64 compute units for my RX480. Is that right? Now I will test FCPX. Any consensus on what version is stable? thanks!

Also, what should I do about wake from sleep and/or any other related issues. I did notice that I left computer, came back and screen was black and computer was seemingly turned off. Then touched keyboard/mouse and computer was instantly back on. So I guess that was some sort of return from hibernate/sleep or whatever.

Anyway, thanks again for the help! Look forward to reporting more results.

Brian

Did you follow the FDury card mod, or the one FlOr!an posted a few posts below the furry card data set? There should be 36 compute units not 64, I think you used the wrong data set.
RX 480 pentium 3258 Geekbench.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 6.20.59 PM.png

off topic gigamaxx, I want to switch back to a 17,1 from the 6,1 I copied from you. I ran multibeast, changed the system definition, saved it. then I went into clover configurator and copied my serial number from the old plist to the new one. when I reboot it still says Mac Pro in about this Mac, what else needs to be done? I attached my plist, can you take a look?

In system information it says 17,1 so not sure what to make of it.

Attachments

• config.plist
    3.6 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back