Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
off topic gigamaxx, I want to switch back to a 17,1 from the 6,1 I copied from you. I ran multibeast, changed the system definition, saved it. then I went into clover configurator and copied my serial number from the old plist to the new one. when I reboot it still says Mac Pro in about this Mac, what else needs to be done? I attached my plist, can you take a look?

In system information it says 17,1 so not sure what to make of it.

The top window is the EFI partition (boot partition 200mb) it is accessed using EFIMounter or Clover configurator. This is the one you added a new config.plist to. Its a strange thing there seems to be a third clover hidden that you can't see, but we will put that aside for now. The bottom window shows the main partition clover EFI Backups folder in it. This is the main drive that has OS Sierra on it. When you run multicast or clover and change your EFI partition clover config.plist the main drive config.plist needs to be removed or you have conflicting configurations. I usually remove completely the entire clover folder in EFI backups folder on main partition '"Before" making any changes to the EFI "boot" clover folder (the one you see when starting system). After you remove it and run Clover or Multibeast you will see the EFI backup folder has a clover folder so check art it may still have your original config.plist ( this is the hidden clover folder). Pull that clover folder out or trash it and run Clover/Multibeast one more time to get the new config.plist in your main partition EFI backups folder. Now, all your config.plists are the same and you can go on with your business without conflicting settings.

In short, remove config.plist from both clover EFI and EFI backup folders then run Clover or Multibeast twice to get the hidden clover file exposed and removed.

Clover EFI and MAin partitions.png

I see that you're using a dual RX 480, but I was informed that crossfire is not supported in macOS. So is yours working? how do you make it work?

One of my main activities in MacOS is using Final Cut Pro X. FCPX and some other apps will use multiple GPUs and so Dual RX480s are still a benefit to me on the Mac side. However, this is a dual boot system. So, in Windows 10, crossfire is enabled and I can benefit from that too. It does great with Oculus on the windows side.
My Motherboard is a Gigabyte z97x-gaming 7. The RX480s are plugged into slot 1 (PCIEX16), and slot 2 (PCIEX8), so both run at up to X8. All monitors are plugged into card #1 in slot 1. I have the latest bios for this board. I've had no issue with 2 cards vs. 1 card. If one works, both work.
This set up drives a 4K monitor and 2 x 1080p monitors for a great 3 screen video and photo editing set up.

M

Last edited:
After you remove it and run Clover or Multibeast you will see the EFI backup folder has a clover folder so check art it may still have your original config.plist

In short, remove config.plist from both clover EFI and EFI backup folders then run Clover or Multibeast twice to get the hidden clover file exposed and removed.
View attachment 244301
Thats so weird, I deleted clover from EFI, emptied the hidden trash folder, ran multibeast, copied my serial number in and rebooted. it still said Mac Pro. I then just ran multibeast again and restarted and it now says iMac 5k.. weird weird. thanks for the help!

One of my main activities in MacOS is using Final Cut Pro X. FCPX and some other apps will use multiple GPUs and so Dual RX480s are still a benefit to me on the Mac side. However, this is a dual boot system. So, in Windows 10, crossfire is enabled and I can benefit from that too. It does great with Oculus on the windows side.
My Motherboard is a Gigabyte z97x-gaming 7. The RX480s are plugged into slot 1 (PCIEX16), and slot 2 (PCIEX8), so both run at up to X8. All monitors are plugged into card #1 in slot 1. I have the latest bios for this board. I've had no issue with 2 cards vs. 1 card. If one works, both work.
This set up drives a 4K monitor and 2 x 1080p monitors for a great 3 screen video and photo editing set up.

M
Thanks a lot for your reply. My main activity on Mac is also Final Cut Pro, so does it mean if I get another RX 480, I can also boot into macOS without problems and improve my gaming experience in windows? This is actually really helpful because I am thinking about getting a better monitor but my RX 480 can't handle it.

If I am understanding you correctly, dual RX 480 won't cause problem in macOS but it will improve Final Cut Pro(with multiple GPU), and I can use crossfire normally under windows? BTW I am using Gigabyte F6 BIOS, which one is yours?

:)

Thanks a lot for your reply. My main activity on Mac is also Final Cut Pro, so does it mean if I get another RX 480, I can also boot into macOS without problems and improve my gaming experience in windows? This is actually really helpful because I am thinking about getting a better monitor but my RX 480 can't handle it.

If I am understanding you correctly, dual RX 480 won't cause problem in macOS but it will improve Final Cut Pro(with multiple GPU), and I can use crossfire normally under windows? BTW I am using Gigabyte F6 BIOS, which one is yours?

:)

It won't work with Skylake systems, only Haswell and X99 systems will run dual RX 480s. The Skylake systems don't work you get black screen. Haswell works well though for dual cards.

Not sure about Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge.

It won't work with Skylake systems, only Haswell and X99 systems will run dual RX 480s. The Skylake systems don't work you get black screen. Haswell works well though for dual cards.

Not sure about Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge.

Oh okay, I never thought the CPU will be the problem. I have a skylake CPU so I guess there is no luck for me. BTW Gigamaxx, is there any support in the new 10.12.4 beta?

Oh okay, I never thought the CPU will be the problem. I have a skylake CPU so I guess there is no luck for me. BTW Gigamaxx, is there any support in the new 10.12.4 beta?

It works, there are a few changes but so far it has been doable. It has the AMD9510Controlerkext and they got rid of the AMD9500ControllerKext. You now have to add 0x67Df1002 to the 9510ControllerKext as well as the AMD4100kext is doing the manual info.plist change. For some using ATI fake ID 0x67EF1002 (RX 460 ID) will work. It depends on your setup, make extra copies of the AMD4100kext and keep them in a folder before you update to do the CU limit change ("Enabling All Cores AMD Fury Cards").

It works, there are a few changes but so far it has been doable. It has the AMD9510Controlerkext and they got rid of the AMD9500ControllerKext. You now have to add 0x67Df1002 to the 9510ControllerKext as well as the AMD4100kext is doing the manual info.plist change. For some using ATI fake ID 0x67EF1002 (RX 460 ID) will work. It depends on your setup, make extra copies of the AMD4100kext and keep them in a folder to do the CU limit change ("Enabling All Cores AMD Fury Cards").
Thanks, I have been following your threads, and I really appreciate all the works. :D It really helped me to get my perfect Hackintosh. I am just hoping for an OOB support in the coming 10.12.4.

Thanks, I have been following your threads, and I really appreciate all the works. :D It really helped me to get my perfect Hackintosh. I am just hoping for an OOB support in the coming 10.12.4.

My Gigabyte RX 460 4gb has never needed anything but the IGPU enabled, its the closest to OOB for the Polaris cards.

The good news is that the SkyLake graphics don't have the glitch anymore so the fixes aren't necessary. I opened up Sierra without a graphics card and the SKL CRB graphics were running real smooth. No more glitch on the top left corner.

My Gigabyte RX 460 4gb has never needed anything but the IGPU enabled, its the closest to OOB for the Polaris cards.

The good news is that the SkyLake graphics don't have the glitch anymore so the fixes aren't necessary. I opened up Sierra without a graphics card and the SKL CRB graphics were running real smooth. No more glitch on the top left corner.
That is a really nice thing to know. I have been using RX 480 and it is good enough for me know. Maybe there will be support for RX 5XX or Vegas :) and I have given up on the Nvidia pascal. I don't think they will come.. forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back