Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Preferences/Displays/Gather Windows, then drag the white bar on top of one screen to the other it should make the spdestination screen have a red ring around it. If the ring is on the RX display let it go and you should have this as main screen for the rx.

Thats what happens with me as well, I get both displays.
I Fixed it, well for kaby lake cpu's (which is what I am on) If you have kaby lake and follow the instructions on the Early Adopters page for intel 200 series (Link:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...cpus-200-series-motherboards-in-macos.211743/) and properly set up intel hd graphics, it will automatically negotiate that 1080p (or higher) is not supported over VGA so it switches by default. Same for skylake, just have igpu set up properly and have both cards connected to the same monitor If possible and it will auto switch. Thanks to @Gigamaxx for his help by the way in getting me fully set up.

Edit: Would anyone here happen to know anything about iMessage and how to enable it.

Last edited:
I Fixed it, well for kaby lake cpu's (which is what I am on) If you have kaby lake and follow the instructions on the Early Adopters page for intel 200 series (Link:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...cpus-200-series-motherboards-in-macos.211743/) and properly set up intel hd graphics, it will automatically negotiate that 1080p (or higher) is not supported over VGA so it switches by default. Same for skylake, just have igpu set up properly and have both cards connected to the same monitor If possible and it will auto switch. Thanks to @Gigamaxx for his help by the way in getting me fully set up.

Edit: Would anyone here happen to know anything about iMessage and how to enable it.

There's a great fix thread for that use search window, I think it's Toleda's thread.

I am about to follow this guide, just wanted to clarify a couple things first.

So I am up and running with Sierra 10.12, with intel 530. I haven't put the RX 480 in yet. I have the Sapphire version. So here are some questions:

- Will connecting MB HDMI or Displayport and 480 HDMI or Displayport to one monitor work? From what I read here, seems people are using VGA from board.
- As far as recent posts about auto switching, if I follow the guide (provided I update to 10.12.4), should that be non-issue?
- Final Cut Pro: I read people have problems with FCPX crashing. ANy current word on what to expect from FCPX?

thanks!
Brian

I am about to follow this guide, just wanted to clarify a couple things first.

So I am up and running with Sierra 10.12, with intel 530. I haven't put the RX 480 in yet. I have the Sapphire version. So here are some questions:

- Will connecting MB HDMI or Displayport and 480 HDMI or Displayport to one monitor work? From what I read here, seems people are using VGA from board.
- As far as recent posts about auto switching, if I follow the guide (provided I update to 10.12.4), should that be non-issue?
- Final Cut Pro: I read people have problems with FCPX crashing. ANy current word on what to expect from FCPX?

thanks!
Brian

Two hdmi connections will work, once you get used to the Sierra screen or display menu settings it shouldn't be a problem.
One user removed the SKL CRB support kexts to prevent FCPX from crashing with his Skylake build. There is enough of a Framebuffer left to operate the RX 480 but it doesn't interfere with FCPX. It is hard to tell with FCPX we walked a haswell user through a fix and they had hd4600 sound injection that was causing the crash. Some people have standard setups and report no crashes. It's elusive what your results will be only time will tell.

It's vga or DVI DVI-D?

Check in clover configurator/graphics for dual link settings try 0, or 1.

both the motherboard and RX use DisplayPort - even if IGFX is disabled and I plug the monitor into it, it will have video coming out of even pre-boot in clover and the bios. must be something with this motherboard, nbd.

I thought of a work around for the crossfire RX cards on skylake - dont enable the kext variable in the 4100 file, use the IGFX for macos. have a external switchbox for the graphics output, have it on the IGFX for macos and switch it to the RX for windows gaming. downside is no RX performance in macos other than compute but unless your doing some gaming in macos (why?) then it shouldnt be a big deal. I dont think I will do this because the single RX 480 card seems fine for me for gaming, not huge into games currently.

Since im using an apple Cinema Display which only has one input and its DP, that wont work for me. but I can see how that would work - I just shut off my monitor when I want to boot into macos and it doesnt initialize the RX card and works fine.

I have a ghost monitor...
My system is registering that a projector is connected when there is no such thing. Any way to make this display disappear? It's getting annoying losing my cursor and windows to this invisible projector....

At what point in the process are we supposed to connect the RX480 to the MB? Is it ok if it is connected right from the beginning?
thanks, Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back