Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care about sleep as I don't need that feature ..but can I use rx 480 in first slot and hd 6870 in second will it make any difference performance wise

It can work but you need to put the 6870 in the first slot unless you use an IGPU on you CPU. The perofrmance will be less than if you have a Haswell or Skylake CPU with integrated graphics because the RX then can go in the #1 slot. Your benchmarks will probably be about 20-30% less than comparable benchmarks using igpu as primary display, except for some open CL benchmarks. Luxmark for example when running 2 RX 480 cards basically doubles the bench score versus the single card. The Open GL or Sierra for the most part wil only support one card at a time. You will need to learn how to boot using different methods to get max support from the RX card.

With the 6870 in the first slot it will act like integrated graphics and give you the clover screen to work with, the RX card will only have monitor support after you boot into Sierra. You can do this with "dedicated graphics" mode in your board bios instead of IGP, IGFX, or IGPU mode.

No, Crossfire is not supported in OS X / macOS.

With Sierra AMD cards suffer from a black screen after sleep, do your research carefully before committing to purchase.

I've been getting my sleep fully functional for my RX 460 and RX 480 cards lately on my Haswell pentium g3258 as a Mac Pro 6.1. I'm working on my Skylake to get the proper settings and it's close as well. My g3258 rig sleeps all night and the power button light goes on when deep sleep is activated. The fans stop, and only the power button lights up. I lightly touch the power button in the morning and the screen pops right back to whatever program I'm running. In the past my issue was not having a functional mouse but I've usually been able to get the home screen after sleep.

I've been getting my sleep fully functional for my RX 460 and RX 480 cards lately on my Haswell pentium g3258 as a Mac Pro 6.1. I'm working on my Skylake to get the proper settings and it's close as well. My g3258 rig sleeps all night and the power button light goes on when deep sleep is activated. The fans stop, and only the power button lights up. I lightly touch the power button in the morning and the screen pops right back to whatever program I'm running. In the past my issue was not having a functional mouse but I've usually been able to get the home screen after sleep.
thats great news I just built my skylake system and I was trying gtx 980 ti work . it worked for one time but sadly the gnu died for some reason so I decided to go for this now waiting until it arrives then I would need help making it work also I hope rx 480 will not die ...I ordered xfx rx 480 this will have full acceleration right? ..I am currently reading this long list of posts ...hopefully I will be able to achieve this and I will post some questions later ...thanks in advance guys this is a great community regardless of companies ...I hope one day hackintosh will grow bigger then these money hungry greedy companies .kudos to the devs here. maybe one day all hardware and software will be open source and talented people and creative people will save this planet and humanity ..high spirits for tech community...

It can work but you need to put the 6870 in the first slot unless you use an IGPU on you CPU. The perofrmance will be less than if you have a Haswell or Skylake CPU with integrated graphics because the RX then can go in the #1 slot. Your benchmarks will probably be about 20-30% less than comparable benchmarks using igpu as primary display, except for some open CL benchmarks. Luxmark for example when running 2 RX 480 cards basically doubles the bench score versus the single card. The Open GL or Sierra for the most part wil only support one card at a time. You will need to learn how to boot using different methods to get max support from the RX card.
With the 6870 in the first slot it will act like integrated graphics and give you the clover screen to work with, the RX card will only have monitor support after you boot into Sierra. You can do this with "dedicated graphics" mode in your board bios instead of IGP, IGFX, or IGPU mode.
SO if I use 6870 in first slot and rx480 in the second then with skylake cpu I get better bench or less performance vs rx 480 alone or 2 rx 480s ... btw hd 6870 is such a lovely card just plug and play I am lucky to have this card even when its not so fast ...anyways coming back to point so I need 2 cables with my 40 inch led going into one gpu and one in mobo for igpu if I use rx 480 alone ?please correct me if I understood wrong ;-) yes I need to learn many things but I will learn quick n try my best. I have yet to see if I will use hd6870 or not or only rx 480 first need to get the new card working and then maybe find an optimised pcie port placement .

Last edited:
With Sierra AMD cards suffer from a black screen after sleep, do your research carefully before committing to purchase.

Am not having that issue. I like the fast startup from sleep so it is important to me. Also, darkwake=0 seems to have improved the stability. Currently, I have zero issues waking from sleep.

SO if I use 6870 in first slot and rx480 in the second then with skylake cpu I get better bench or less performance vs rx 480 alone or 2 rx 480s ... btw hd 6870 is such a lovely card just plug and play I am lucky to have this card even when its not so fast ...anyways coming back to point so I need 2 cables with my 40 inch led going into one gpu and one in mobo for igpu if I use rx 480 alone ?please correct me if I understood wrong ;-) yes I need to learn many things but I will learn quick n try my best. I have yet to see if I will use hd6870 or not or only rx 480 first need to get the new card working and then maybe find an optimised pcie port placement .

If you have a Haswell 4xxx Intel or Skylake 6xxx series CPU it has integrated graphics so you don't need the 6870 in the #1 slot just the RX card will work using the igpu as primary.
This setup will give you the best single card performance in open GL. In open CL apps (results will vary) 2 or more cards will give you better compute results like in Luxmark bench tests. Try the 6870 in the 2 slot for open CL support and then your open GL will use the RX card, and when in open CL the 6870 card wil kick in. You may try it with and without the 6870 to see which setup works best for you.

how do you enable HDMI audio , i ran the Clover HDMI command and installed the relevant SSDT, IGPU HDMI Audio works fine just not Dedicated any tips ?

how do you enable HDMI audio , i ran the Clover HDMI command and installed the relevant SSDT, IGPU HDMI Audio works fine just not Dedicated any tips ?

I believe the RX cards only do audio through the DisplayPorts and maybe only one of them. The RX 460 may be working, I'm not sure but I don't think anyone has got the 480 to get sound yet. I use a USB sound card, although I did have my on board audio working before in early stages of Sierra. I've never had sound through the RX card.

You will have to look into some of Mork vom Ork's work with framebuffers and assigned ports along with RehabMan and Toleda script methods to figure it out. Eventually, if Apple puts RX 480s or something close in their new models it will get easier to fix once we know the port configuration. You may try starting with rehabman and asking him if he thinks it's doable yet.

the funny thing about RX4x0 AUDIO capabilities is:
if you don't load AMDRadeonX4100.kext you won't have acceleration but:

- you WON'T have blackscreen issue -and-
- SOUND capabilities where completely working (HDMI [up to 8-channel] and DisplayPort)

just tested yesterday. So cause of some weired functions within AMDRadeonX4100.kext,
Hackintosh-Users have to wait for a wonder to make RX4x0 work "out-of-the-box" without any hassle.

the funny thing about RX4x0 AUDIO capabilities is:
if you don't load AMDRadeonX4100.kext you won't have acceleration but:

- you WON'T have blackscreen issue -and-
- SOUND capabilities where completely working (HDMI [up to 8-channel] and DisplayPort)

just tested yesterday. So cause of some weired functions within AMDRadeonX4100.kext,
Hackintosh-Users have to wait for a wonder to make RX4x0 work "out-of-the-box" without any hassle.

Sleep also works flawlessly without the 4100kext loaded as well. It's like it has OOB support but without the most important part, acceleration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back