Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @Gigamaxx If I follow this steps on my hackintosh could work? https://www.theitsage.com/install-radeon-rx-480-gpu-macos-sierra/ of course, editing the AMDRadeonX4001 kext

Abosolutely, this is the same method, however he's adding the disable SIP. To disable SIP when you get to clover screen select "restore" disk. When you get to screen select "terminal" from top tool bar in utilities. Open terminal and type in: csrutil disable After you hit return/enter you should see a few scripts and successful message, reboot as normal and then make the kext change. I have used that option when I had a system that wouldn't take and get metal support for the RX. If anyone is following all the steps correctly and not getting support this may help, but on most of my test builds I don't need it.

I have only one card. And tried all four combinations of injections. Got stuck at the same place

Can you pull a copy of your config.plist and place it on desktop and use upload a file to post it so we can look at it? You can remove serial number and uuid first if you want.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to post an ioreg export and list out any ssdt/ddst modifications you made?

If you search in laptops section rehabman and toleda have a link to the right ones.

It also depends on which gfx you have your monitor(s) connected to. Are you femailar with the black screen boot?
If you have one monitor connect it to igpu then set clover settings and before you hit enter switch the cable to the RX card. If you have multiple monitors you can use System Preferences/Displays to adjust monitor and card output or support.

Which version(s) of the XFX RX480 8GB do you have?
There are 4 versions: OC, RS, GTR and GTR Black edition

Both cards are the RS version.

Sorry the delay. Been up to my neck in work.

Abosolutely, this is the same method, however he's adding the disable SIP. To disable SIP when you get to clover screen select "restore" disk. When you get to screen select "terminal" from top tool bar in utilities. Open terminal and type in: csrutil disable After you hit return/enter you should see a few scripts and successful message, reboot as normal and then make the kext change. I have used that option when I had a system that wouldn't take and get metal support for the RX. If anyone is following all the steps correctly and not getting support this may help, but on most of my test builds I don't need it.

Can you pull a copy of your config.plist and place it on desktop and use upload a file to post it so we can look at it? You can remove serial number and uuid first if you want.

Here is my config.plist.

CPU: i7-6700k
MOBO: Z170MX Gaming 5
Memory: 16GB DDR4

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.1 KB · Views: 237
Here is my config.plist.

CPU: i7-6700k
MOBO: Z170MX Gaming 5
Memory: 16GB DDR4

Thanks for your help.

I removed all the kexts to load in kernels and kext patches. If this works now keep a copy of your current config and add them back one by one until it crashes. Otherwise, you look pretty simple which is good to get booted easily. config.plist

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.2 KB · Views: 416
I removed all the kexts to load in kernels and kext patches. If this works now keep a copy of your current config and add them back one by one until it crashes. Otherwise, you look pretty simple which is good to get booted easily. config.plist

Thanks. I tried the cleaned config.plist yesterday and got stuck at the same place, right after the IGPU has loaded.

Sometimes there would be an extra line after the iGPU saying
Setting BTCoex Config: enable_2G:1, profile_2g:0, enable_5G:1, profile_5G:0
And the it freezes. Sometimes there is no such line.
I am wondering if it is a bluetooth issue?
The Wifi/Bluetooth card I am using is BCM94360CD. And it seems to work fine before I edit the 4100kext.
Also I did not hear the fan of my graphic card running as others say.
Shall I try using the 14,2 instead of 17,1 mac profile as well?

I really hope I could make it work. Thanks a lot.

Thanks. I tried the cleaned config.plist yesterday and got stuck at the same place, right after the IGPU has loaded.

Sometimes there would be an extra line after the iGPU saying
Setting BTCoex Config: enable_2G:1, profile_2g:0, enable_5G:1, profile_5G:0
And the it freezes. Sometimes there is no such line.
I am wondering if it is a bluetooth issue?
The Wifi/Bluetooth card I am using is BCM94360CD. And it seems to work fine before I edit the 4100kext.
Also I did not hear the fan of my graphic card running as others say.
Shall I try using the 14,2 instead of 17,1 mac profile as well?

I really hope I could make it work. Thanks a lot.

The 17.1 definition will fit better on your skylake but should not be necessary, I'm using a Mac Pro 6.1 definition with the same Wifi/Bluetooth module. Maybe try disconnecting the wifi cards to see if you can get booted. Did you add anything for you're wifi, ant injections?

The 17.1 definition will fit better on your skylake but should not be necessary, I'm using a Mac Pro 6.1 definition with the same Wifi/Bluetooth module. Maybe try disconnecting the wifi cards to see if you can get booted. Did you add anything for you're wifi, ant injections?

No, I thought it was supported out of box. I will try disconnecting the card and let you know. Thank you.

Bought Saphire Nitro RX480 8GB for my hack but about to give up. Wanting to move my GTX 960 to the family computer so I bought the RX480 after seeing some positives with respect to native support. However, it doesn't work for me. I don't have a graphics device in my mobo BTW. Modified the X4100 kext as described. The system boots and my screen goes blank just at the point where I should see the desktop. My system runs fine using 10.12.1 and the GTX 960. Do I have to have an IGPU for it to work at all? Clover sees my RX480 just fine BTW. Any pointers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back