Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, it is this card.

is still working without any modification with official release 10.12.1?
I didn't upgrade to the official 10.12.1 yet, and I won't until at least November 1st for various reasons. I'll tell you then.

are your set to IGFX as a primary?

do you getting blackscreen until you boot to desktop ?
Kind of. I'm not following the "IGFX=primary" rule, because I need to see what the computer is doing.
I set IGFX=Auto, before computer boot I connect my display through DisplayPort on the IGFX DP connector. I wait for clover, start booting OSX, then I switch the display to the RX 460 DP connector.

Hi guys. First of all thanks for the help. This thread helped me to decide which graphics card to buy and the initial setup.

Here is the initial setup and what is happening.

Motherboard, GA-Z77X-UP5 TH with Intel HD Graphics 4000. With no setup in the BIOS about the IGFX=primary, it was AUTO.

I have just bought and XFX RX 480 gb reference card. Installed and boot. For my surprise it worked but without acceleration in all my three Dell Display Port monitors (Yes, I do have three monitors connected to the video card). I thought that I would have to change the BIOS and the kext file from the beginning.

So, I decided to activate the acceleration because the glitches were annoying me so, I changed just the AMDRadeonX4100 (Sierra 10.12.1) using this thread as a guide. Not the BIOS settings.

After the changes the computer was in loop or hanging during startup so I decided to change the BIOS configuration to IGFX=primary and connect an old monitor to the mobo DVI port.

Now the computer is starting with the old monitor as Main Monitor and when OS X start and I finish the login and startup process I have to setup my three monitor arrangement every time.

Is there a workaround already that release me from the requirement of connecting an old monitor to the Integrated Graphics for the computer start?

Kind regards,

Tulio.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 00.22.50.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 00.22.50.png
    647.4 KB · Views: 232
I posted this question somewhere else on this site but after reading comments I think it more appropriate here

I got a gigabyte rx480 with full acceleration running when boot with bios switched to igfx as mentioned in others posts. gigabyte Z77x board with alc898. Sierra 10.12.1 modified amd4100.kext

Has anyone managed to get audio working with the 480 and how?

Hi guys. First of all thanks for the help. This thread helped me to decide which graphics card to buy and the initial setup.

Here is the initial setup and what is happening.

Motherboard, GA-Z77X-UP5 TH with Intel HD Graphics 4000. With no setup in the BIOS about the IGFX=primary, it was AUTO.

I have just bought and XFX RX 480 gb reference card. Installed and boot. For my surprise it worked but without acceleration in all my three Dell Display Port monitors (Yes, I do have three monitors connected to the video card). I thought that I would have to change the BIOS and the kext file from the beginning.

So, I decided to activate the acceleration because the glitches were annoying me so, I changed just the AMDRadeonX4100 (Sierra 10.12.1) using this thread as a guide. Not the BIOS settings.

After the changes the computer was in loop or hanging during startup so I decided to change the BIOS configuration to IGFX=primary and connect an old monitor to the mobo DVI port.

Now the computer is starting with the old monitor as Main Monitor and when OS X start and I finish the login and startup process I have to setup my three monitor arrangement every time.

Is there a workaround already that release me from the requirement of connecting an old monitor to the Integrated Graphics for the computer start?

Kind regards,

Tulio.

If your clover settings are set, in other words you don't need to change any settings before you boot, then you can use clover configurator to "auto boot". In clover configurator select boot option and at the top of the menu there is a boot from " Last Booted Volume" option. This will make the system automatically boot after 5 seconds when the system is turned on. You won't see the clover screen or the Apple logo and progress bar. The only thing you will see is a black screen until the password screen appears.

Using "System Preferences" (the gear on bottom tool bar) is you select users and groups you can unlock settings and select automatic log in. If you do both of these AND, your clover settings ARE correct, it will boot right into Sierra without any need to use IGFX monitor.

*** setting auto log in means that anyone that turns on your computer will have access. So if you don't want others to have access don't use the auto log in option.

I posted this question somewhere else on this site but after reading comments I think it more appropriate here

I got a gigabyte rx480 with full acceleration running when boot with bios switched to igfx as mentioned in others posts. gigabyte Z77x board with alc898. Sierra 10.12.1 modified amd4100.kext

Has anyone managed to get audio working with the 480 and how?

Check out Toleda audio fix threads on this forum.

I was saving up money for new macbook pros but I'm dissapointed af...
I'm thinking about buying this rig:
i7 6800K, 3.4GHz, 15 MB, BOX
MSI X99A SLI, X99, QuadDDR4-2133, SATA3, SATAe,
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, 4x4GB, 3200MHz, CL16
XFX Radeon RX 480 GTR 8GB GDDR5 (256 Bit) 3x DP,
Will it be hackintoshable?
Thx in advance

X99 systems don't usually have integrated graphics capabilities so the key has been to use a AMD 5450, R9 270x or some other "native" functioning card as an "integrated graphics" substitute. It has been done this way a few times successfully.

It won't require a second video card if you get a z170, or z97 setup.

I have run my Z97 system in dedicated graphics mode (no IGFX) using a 5450 + RX480, and a R9 270x + RX 480 and it works. It can be done but you will more than likely need an extra video card to add to the list. My 5450 2gb model ran $50 US.

i have geforce 210?

i have geforce 210?

It may work, I think someone got one running using an Nvidia and RX card. Check the "Radeon Testers Needed for AMD cards in Sierra Public Beta". Somewhere between pigs 60 to present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back