Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sapphire Nitro RX 460 4GB works OOB under 10.12.
Metal supported, but the system and the applications (game, benchmark) tend to be unstable under load. The fan is stopped and doesn't seem to increase its speed under load.

Check out prior posts around page 30 or so Mork Vom Ork posted a fix and injection for the Sapphire 460, it has a 6 pin connector right? I had success oob more or less with the Gigabyte 460 but not the Gigabyte 480. You may need to inject settings and add framebuffers through clover for that card. Check Mork's posts for this and look for a config plist with added FB in clover.

hey bro,

i am Adit from indonesia
my building

Asus B150 Pro Gaming Aura
i3 6100
Corsair CMU RED DDR4
RX 470 8GB

already almost a month MacOS Sierra cannot full QE / CI
can you help me please..

Google the Apple Sierra public beta program. I have had updates once a week which usually have better graphics support. It definately is much better than the public release.

Did you try the AMD4000kext ID change method? Watch the Phillips garage video and download the picture guide found on this site. "Enabling AMD RX 4xx cards in Sierra" if you can get it to work there is also a better method using FakeSMCkext to avoid being flagged by updates. But first, try the 4000kext mod, and if that works use the FakeSMCkext method.

If you upgrade to the beta the kext is AMD4100kext, it's just for the Baffin cards mainly the RX Polaris.

You can connect both, but support levels may vary, depending on your IGFX settings in clover.

I had three monitors connected at one point, one to the main board, one to graphics card one and one more to graphics card two. You can get accelration after boot if you use the display preferences tool and adjust screen priority. However, the best acceleration is achieved if only one monitor is connected to card during boot, otherwise there is a sharing of power and support.

Display port works, but I did have one card that had one of the display ports inactive but the other two worked fine.

Thank you for your response. It turns out to be different with what I remember. When I keep 2 ports connected, it only has acceleration on HD530. Too bad that it could be HIS RX 470, which is not working as MSI or XFX. However, you bring hope about DP port, will retry other ports :)

That's possible, try the Uningine Valley or Uningine Heaven benchmarks they're free trial versions and they work well and will show you how your graphics are supported. Luxmark benchmark is another good one as well.
Many thanks Gigamaxx - will try and let you know - great work on your part as always by the way getting us this far, thank you.

Thank you for your response. It turns out to be different with what I remember. When I keep 2 ports connected, it only has acceleration on HD530. Too bad that it could be HIS RX 470, which is not working as MSI or XFX. However, you bring hope about DP port, will retry other ports :)

Try using the display preferences in Sierra. You click on the monitor icon on top tool bar, and select display preferences. Select arrangement and drag the box with a white bar across the top to the other box and it loads the card screen as primary. There will be a red ring around the active monitor screen when you do it. When you get the red ring around the monitor with the vCard you should get acceleration for that screen if the card is supported.

Last edited:
I have my XFX 480 accelerated now under Sierra, thanks!

I do wonder though if there's a way to monitor the GPU stats, like temperature? I have iStats Menus, but for the GPU it only seems to know about memory and processor usage. Is there any way to get temperature? I do notice that this thing runs really hot, so I want to keep an eye on it.

I have my XFX 480 accelerated now under Sierra, thanks!

I do wonder though if there's a way to monitor the GPU stats, like temperature? I have iStats Menus, but for the GPU it only seems to know about memory and processor usage. Is there any way to get temperature? I do notice that this thing runs really hot, so I want to keep an eye on it.
Do you have the reference model? Are you in the beta version of Sierra?
The public release Sierra works for acceleration but they added more drivers in the beta which is updated weekly, sometimes with improvements in graphics support. I noticed very early on that all my cards got very hot during benchmarks and the fans were running fast, I would check the power 6-8 pin connector part of the vCard by briefly touching to see how hot it was getting. In the early pre-public Sierra they would get very hot near the power input of the video card. As time went on and they improved the drivers the heat was lower in this power input area of the card. The better drivers distributed the power better and with less resistance so overheating of the power bus is no longer an issue for me. Check your card backplate if you have one near the power input and then at other area of the card especially towards the output HDMI and Displayports. If it's hotter towards the back of the card (reference model) then it should be fine. My reference card blows a lot of heat out of the back end of the card which is normal and the fans reduce speed after running benchmarks so it's working correctly. AMD cards do run hot in general so you should be ok as long as you check the card itself and look for even heat on the backplate. If you're getting heat and the fan(s) aren't spinning try signing up for the public beta program your card will do better in it.

Do you have the reference model? Are you in the beta version of Sierra?
The public release Sierra works for acceleration but they added more drivers in the beta which is updated weekly, sometimes with improvements in graphics support. I noticed very early on that all my cards got very hot during benchmarks and the fans were running fast, I would check the power 6-8 pin connector part of the vCard by briefly touching to see how hot it was getting. In the early pre-public Sierra they would get very hot near the power input of the video card. As time went on and they improved the drivers the heat was lower in this power input area of the card. The better drivers distributed the power better and with less resistance so overheating of the power bus is no longer an issue for me. Check your card backplate if you have one near the power input and then at other area of the card especially towards the output HDMI and Displayports. If it's hotter towards the back of the card (reference model) then it should be fine. My reference card blows a lot of heat out of the back end of the card which is normal and the fans reduce speed after running benchmarks so it's working correctly. AMD cards do run hot in general so you should be ok as long as you check the card itself and look for even heat on the backplate. If you're getting heat and the fan(s) aren't spinning try signing up for the public beta program your card will do better in it.

I'm not actually sure on the "reference model." I'm actually pretty new to caring about having a good GPU, and this is probably the first "good" one I've ever had!

I'm running the public Sierra at the moment. The card gets hot, but not really too hot to touch. It's just noticeably hotter than my old NVIDIA 750.

The fans on this one are very quiet, but I do hear them spin up a bit when running a 3D application, so hopefully they're working!

Thanks for the info!

I'm not actually sure on the "reference model." I'm actually pretty new to caring about having a good GPU, and this is probably the first "good" one I've ever had!

I'm running the public Sierra at the moment. The card gets hot, but not really too hot to touch. It's just noticeably hotter than my old NVIDIA 750.

The fans on this one are very quiet, but I do hear them spin up a bit when running a 3D application, so hopefully they're working!

Thanks for the info!

The reference model was the original release with one fan, you have the aftermarket model with better cooling system fans, glad to know it works as well. So far no one has been able to get temps on these cards working.

Well minutes after getting it to work I decided to upgrade to 10.12.1, which broke it of course! I read somewhere in the forums about changes in the betas, with something in the AMDRadeonX4000.kext changing, but I can't find that now. Did I imagine that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back