Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well minutes after getting it to work I decided to upgrade to 10.12.1, which broke it of course! I read somewhere in the forums about changes in the betas, with something in the AMDRadeonX4000.kext changing, but I can't find that now. Did I imagine that?

I found the 10.12.1 reference, which happened to be in the first post of this thread! Unfortunately that didn't seem to work. I edited AMDRadeonX4100.kext and changed the IOPCIMatch, just like in the other kext of the original Sierra.

Well minutes after getting it to work I decided to upgrade to 10.12.1, which broke it of course! I read somewhere in the forums about changes in the betas, with something in the AMDRadeonX4000.kext changing, but I can't find that now. Did I imagine that?

Go to page 64, on this thread, there's a fakeSMCkext that you add to the clover kext folders in your EFI partition. Place them in kext folders 10.11 and Other. This method when you get it working will allow you to survive future updates.

If you want to repeat the process, use the AMD4100kext in the beta, the 4000 kext is for the other AMD cards now.

Go to page 64, on this thread, there's a fakeSMCkext that you add to the clover kext folders in your EFI partition. Place them in kext folders 10.11 and Other. This method when you get it working will allow you to survive future updates.

If you want to repeat the process, use the AMD4100kext in the beta, the 4000 kext is for the other AMD cards now.

I already did have the fakeSMC kext in there, and I've edited the AMD4100 kext to update the device ID. No luck unfortunately!

It's also a bit weird with regards to the on-board graphics. Previously when it worked, the AMD would come up as the primary display. Now it makes the internal primary. Not sure if that means anything.

I already did have the fakeSMC kext in there, and I've edited the AMD4100 kext to update the device ID. No luck unfortunately!

It's also a bit weird with regards to the on-board graphics. Previously when it worked, the AMD would come up as the primary display. Now it makes the internal primary. Not sure if that means anything.

The FakeSMCkext I placed on 64 has been modified. If you are using the one from the pre beta format it will not work and needs to be replaced. If you changed the 4100 kext did you remove it from folder, change it, replace it with permissions, and then use kext tools to get repair permissions? It won't take if you don't follow those guidelines, especially the kext tool.

The FakeSMCkext I placed on 64 has been modified. If you are using the one from the pre beta format it will not work and needs to be replaced. If you changed the 4100 kext did you remove it from folder, change it, replace it with permissions, and then use kext tools to get repair permissions? It won't take if you don't follow those guidelines, especially the kext tool.

I only see 8 pages on this thread, where is page 64 that you're referring to? I am still using the fakesmc from my original Sierra install, so I will look for that updated version.

On the kext, I did remove info.plist from the kext package, change it, and place it back, just like I did when I got the 4000 kext to work. However, I'm not sure about repairing permissions there. Is "kext tools" something in MacOS or elsewhere? The permissions seem correct, at least compared to the other kexts in there. All owned by root.wheel and have the same modes.

Thanks!

I found the 10.12.1 reference, which happened to be in the first post of this thread! Unfortunately that didn't seem to work. I edited AMDRadeonX4100.kext and changed the IOPCIMatch, just like in the other kext of the original Sierra.

I got it working! It turns out I had a copy of the old Sierra AMDRadeonX4000.kext in L/E! Removing that did the trick.

Normally I wouldn't have tried to use such a new and unsupported GPU, but I dual boot and wanted to try some VR stuff under Windows with this card.

Thanks for the help!

Google the Apple Sierra public beta program. I have had updates once a week which usually have better graphics support. It definately is much better than the public release.

Did you try the AMD4000kext ID change method? Watch the Phillips garage video and download the picture guide found on this site. "Enabling AMD RX 4xx cards in Sierra" if you can get it to work there is also a better method using FakeSMCkext to avoid being flagged by updates. But first, try the 4000kext mod, and if that works use the FakeSMCkext method.

If you upgrade to the beta the kext is AMD4100kext, it's just for the Baffin cards mainly the RX Polaris.

hey bro..

I already updated from 10.12 to 10.12.1 but my graphic card not full QE/CI
I am confused I already try all methods but nothing has changed..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 5.09.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 5.09.06 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 309
I found the 10.12.1 reference, which happened to be in the first post of this thread! Unfortunately that didn't seem to work. I edited AMDRadeonX4100.kext and changed the IOPCIMatch, just like in the other kext of the original S

When you did the change of 4100 kext did you first download kextbeast or some kind of repair permissions utility? After removing the kext from folder you change the ID 67EO1002 to 67DF1002, hit save, replace back to 4100kext and follow permission prompts, and then run kextbeast for repair permissions. Kextbeast is free on this site.

Check out prior posts around page 30 or so Mork Vom Ork posted a fix and injection for the Sapphire 460, it has a 6 pin connector right? I had success oob more or less with the Gigabyte 460 but not the Gigabyte 480. You may need to inject settings and add framebuffers through clover for that card. Check Mork's posts for this and look for a config plist with added FB in clover.
Yes the Sapphire Nitro RX 460 4GB has a 6 pin connector. After upgrading to 10.12.1 beta 4, it works like a charm: No artifact, stable (so far), fans off on the desktop and running under load. Without injecting anything or modifying any file, straight out of the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the Sapphire Nitro RX 460 4GB has a 6 pin connector. After upgrading to 10.12.1 beta 4, it works like a charm: No artifact, stable (so far), fans off on the desktop and running under load. Without injecting anything or modifying any file, straight out of the box.

is this card you mention about right?

http://sapphirenitro.sapphiretech.com/en/460.html

is still working without any modification with official release 10.12.1?

are your set to IGFX as a primary?

do you getting blackscreen until you boot to desktop ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back