GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Intel HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
I've noticed that the RX 480s run just as smooth now as the 470s. They get slightly higher benchmarks especially with 8gb models. Once Apple created the 4100kext support improved dramatically.

XFX, MSI, Sapphire, and Powercooler RED DEVIL RX 480s are all working well. The Red Devil has 5 ports which I believe lines up with apple frame buffer(s) vs. the 4 port models others have. The Sapphire is a good choice, they are like the EVGA of AMD cards.

Updates so far haven't lost any cards, its been the other way around. Early on very few card brands were able to work but now there are more options. As for not having full support for polaris 10, open gl benchmarks are right at par with windows benchmarks using the same parameters (igpu as primary display, and open gl format). Open cl seems to be sub par and has some glitches so far. Its possible that apple could drop all the support for polaris 10, but I think its going to get better. I hope this Vega 10 works and we get these cards working in Sierra before New Years.

View attachment 220347

This is in the 9500controller kext now.
Vega 10, the RX 490 with HBM2.
Apple has this already and we don't have a card yet? Purely speculation, of course but so was the polaris rumor back in May and June this year about Sierra. Polaris 10 is also there now, and early on we only had polaris 11 (rx 460).

I would not choose a 470 over a 480 at this point, earlier on they ran better but that was before the 4000 kext got split and they dedicated 4100kext for the Island cards R9 XXX and RX 4XX cards. In the early stages you could barely get Uningine to open up and run let alone a benchmark, now you can run them all day long.

The purists will say they are not OOB, they require integrated graphics mode. But if you look at it Sierra has perplexed many Nvidia board owners as well and updates can require rework. When I do a fresh install it takes me about 5 minutes to get the 4100 kext change done, less if you have a copy of both info.plists and a kext tool handy on desktop. For me updates are not a big deal, and sometimes they don't even effect the 4100kext.
Sounds good i'm headed now to get the 4 gb sapphire. Do I still use the oatch found in the first page of this thread to get it working?? I have an nvidia in right now should i boot using that,install the patches, then remove it??

Gigamaxx

Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 Arous Gaming 7 WiFi
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
It will boot up without support, it will be in idle mode. You can make the changes with the card inserted, change the info plist in 4100 kext and be sure to use a kext tool to get repair permissions, before reboot.

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Intel HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
It will boot up without support, it will be in idle mode. You can make the changes with the card inserted, change the info plist in 4100 kext and be sure to use a kext tool to get repair permissions, before reboot.

So I made the required changes to my config.plist and x4100.kext and now my screen goes black before it goes to the login screen.
My card is going black when I get to login screen any ideas?

Attachments

• AMDRadeonX4100.kext.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 97
Motherboard
GA-Z270X-Gaming K7
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Has anyone been able to get dual 480s working yet? I only get black screens. I have dual monitors working now on one card with Sapphire RX 480 Nitro 8GB. However, as soon as I add the second card and boot I get black screens.

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Intel HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
Has anyone been able to get dual 480s working yet? I only get black screens. I have dual monitors working now on one card with Sapphire RX 480 Nitro 8GB. However, as soon as I add the second card and boot I get black screens.
Hey i know this is unrelated, but how did you get your sapphire nitro working?I have the same card and I edited the x4100.kext and my config but I get a black screen. Do you mind sharing your x4100.kext and config.plist so i can see where i went wrong?

Motherboard
GA-Z270X-Gaming K7
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey i know this is unrelated, but how did you get your sapphire nitro working?I have the same card and I edited the x4100.kext and my config but I get a black screen. Do you mind sharing your x4100.kext and config.plist so i can see where i went wrong?

I have attached my config.plist and AMDRadeonX4100.kext.

"*Make sure to set your mobo bios settings to primary display IGFX (internal graphics, the intel CPU graphics) and set to Auto if possible. My Gigabyte board has the IGFX selection in peripherals menu, and the Auto setting in Chipset menu. you are setting it up to run in integrated graphics mode similar to using a windows format."

Before you boot make sure you have your monitor connected to the integrated graphics first. When Clover loads use your arrow keys to select the appropriate option to boot MacOS. Then switch the cable to your Radeon card and hit return (enter). If you have an extra monitor you may leave a monitor plugged into your integrated card. Enjoy. I hope you get it to work.

Attachments

• config.plist
    11.5 KB · Views: 156
  • AMDRadeonX4100.kext.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Intel HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
I have attached my config.plist.

"*Make sure to set your mobo bios settings to primary display IGFX (internal graphics, the intel CPU graphics) and set to Auto if possible. My Gigabyte board has the IGFX selection in peripherals menu, and the Auto setting in Chipset menu. you are setting it up to run in integrated graphics mode similar to using a windows format."

Before you boot make sure you have your monitor connected to the integrated graphics first. When Clover loads use your arrow keys to select the appropriate option to boot MacOS. Then switch the cable to your Radeon card and hit return (enter). If you have an extra monitor you may leave a monitor plugged into your integrated card. Enjoy. I hope you get it to work.

AHH I have to have it plugged into integrated gfx??? Wow that's super weird I thought the patch would allow me to boot without unplugging and re-plugging :( i'll try it out! thanks

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I have a quick question. I also game on windows, so my question is with RX480 Nitro 8gb, how do I boot into Windows?
Do I need to change in BIOS graphics card every time for that?

Motherboard
GA-z97x-gaming 7
CPU
4790 @ 4.4ghz
Graphics
dual XFX RX 480 8gb
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My problem is FCPX and iMovie. Both crash immediately upon opening.
My setup:
GA-z97x gaming 7 mobo
2 x XFX AMD RX 480 8gb

I did the edits to the 4100 Kexts. ATI injected in clover. It boots up fine. Everything works well, even the benchmarks look good. 3 monitor setup is great. My only problem is FCPX. FCPX works fine if only IGFX is used. It worked with GTX 770 before. Crashing happens if either or both RX 480 cards are used. I can even boot with just the IGFX, start FCPX, and then plug in the RX 480 card, drag FCPX window to the AMD connected monitor and it works. But, quit FCPX and reopen... crashes.
Any clues where to look next?

Motherboard
GA-z97x-gaming 7
CPU
4790 @ 4.4ghz
Graphics
dual XFX RX 480 8gb
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My problem is FCPX and iMovie. Both crash immediately upon opening.
My setup:
GA-z97x gaming 7 mobo
2 x XFX AMD RX 480 8gb

I did the edits to the 4100 Kexts. ATI injected in clover. It boots up fine. Everything works well, even the benchmarks look good. 3 monitor setup is great. My only problem is FCPX. FCPX works fine if only IGFX is used. It worked with GTX 770 before. Crashing happens if either or both RX 480 cards are used. I can even boot with just the IGFX, start FCPX, and then plug in the RX 480 card, drag FCPX window to the AMD connected monitor and it works. But, quit FCPX and reopen... crashes.
Any clues where to look next?

Figured it out.
Changed system def to 15,1 (from 14,2). The 15,1 more closely fits my hardware. Also, changed config.plist to "false" for inject ATI & Intel. Just did the 4100 kext edit alone.
Now FCPx and iMovie work fine. I have dual XFX RX480 cards driving 3 monitors in MacOS Sierra 10.12.1.
DP = 4k monitor
HDMI to DP adapter = 1080p monitor
HDMI = 1080p monitor
Scaling works beautifully. I have all 3 monitors plugged into a single card right now and in Win 10 can run crossfire. I keep the IGFx DVI to HDMI plugged into a second port on my 4k monitor and use the Picture in Picture feature to see the IGFx during boot.

BruceX test = 11.7 seconds

Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 18.09.28.png Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 18.16.12.png

Last edited: