Contribute
Register

Early Adopters > Mavericks on a Gigabyte H/Z97N-WIFI using HD4600 - No Graphics Card Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks a ton for the Guide.

I'm having an issue with the video. After the OS finishes booting, it just goes to a black screen before it displays the desktop.

I've tried multiple combinations of
-x
GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No
IGPEnabler=Yes/No
PCIRootUID=1/0

Using -v it finishes everything and then goes to a black screen.
Not sure what to do. I followed the install step by step. Done everything thing up to the change hardrive to the P0 setting in bios and restarted. Seems the os loads fine but can't display the desktop.

GA-Z79N-wifi
i5 4440 hd 4600
crucial ballistix 8gb sport
corsair cx430m psu

Any ideas?
Thanks!

After you complete the initial installation, you need to reboot again with UniBeast. Then, following the Guide, use -v -x to boot Mavericks to get to the Desktop to run MultiBeast.

I noticed that my Guide didn't state to reboot with UniBeast (it's in tonymacx86's Guides), so I'll add it to the OP.

thanks for the reply!

All my boots after the install where off the usb multibeast. I even tried to boot with the usb again, but it wouldn't go into the installer it just went to a black screen.

I've tried all the boot options. I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but i went back over the guide and checked each step.

The only thing that seemed off was your Multibeast configuration pic. I did not have an option for the second one, "Intel 9 Series Motherboard Support" for realtek ALCxxx. It was just simply not listed as a choice.

Your thoughts?

Then, you are not using the latest version of MultiBeast. Download the latest version which is v6.4.1 as of this time/date.

You're correct, I was using an older version.

Got the new one, copied it to USB, and incidentally i discovered how to get past the black screen.

I have to use the following:

-x GraphicsEnabler=Yes maxmem=4096 PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000

I ran multibeast and it looked exactly the same as your file this time. Installed, rebooted and choosing my mavericks HD from the Unibeast screen it still does the same thing, black screen :(

At this point am I supposed to be able to boot normally without boot flags?

Mavericks 10.9.4
i7-4790k
GA-Z97N-WIFI
HD 4600 graphics (no GPU)

Up and running with relative ease. Spent 4 hours troubleshooting kernel panics till I realized I needed to disable turbo boost in BIOS :lol:. Anyway, I'm getting terrible screen tearing / artifacts when I drag / scroll windows (or even adjust system volume). It's not impacting performance, it's just really distracting and UGLY. Is this normal behavior for toleda's graphics_intel_hd5k-azul-d-90 patch? Do I have to just grit and bear it till z97 is officially supported? Would it be alleviated with a discrete gpu? Thanks for any answers.

Using a Lian-Li TU100A case, by the way. It's like having a Mac Pro 5.1... Mini. BEAST! Thanks again for the guide, Stork.

EDIT: Seems like perhaps my graphics aren't working at all, when I run NovaBench it gives me an error and a graphics score of 0. However, HD 4600 graphics is showing up in the "About This Mac" pane.

...I have to use the following:

-x GraphicsEnabler=Yes maxmem=4096 PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000

I ran MultiBeast and it looked exactly the same as your file this time. Installed, rebooted and choosing my mavericks HD from the UniBeast screen it still does the same thing, black screen :(

At this point am I supposed to be able to boot normally without boot flags?
You should only need to boot with -v -x as I did. HD4600 is supported only with GE=No. You might need "maxmem" although I did not. I high recommend you boot using the UniBeast USB thumb drive, select your installation and use -v -x.

Finally, I can't say this enough, make sure your memory is on the GA-Z97N memory verification list and your PSU is Haswell read/certified. Haswell processors specs are "tighter" than previous Intel processors and can "fool" non Haswell PSUs to shut down your system or cause a freeze.

Mavericks 10.9.4
i7-4790k
GA-Z97N-WIFI
HD 4600 graphics (no GPU)

... I'm getting terrible screen tearing / artifacts when I drag / scroll windows (or even adjust system volume). It's not impacting performance, it's just really distracting and UGLY. Is this normal behavior for toleda's graphics_intel_hd5k-azul-d-90 patch? Do I have to just grit and bear it till z97 is officially supported? Would it be alleviated with a discrete gpu? Thanks for any answers...
I have no tearing and don't know what is causing your tearing, and I'm using two 24" monitors (1920x1200). Make sure you followed the guide, step-by-step. Getting HD4600 is really tough with the 9-series chipset. If you can't make it work with the guide, something might be amiss with your components. Try an inexpensive graphics card, like a 640/730 card. Initially, I got my system up and running with an old 6450 I had lying around; I had to set the BIOS to PCIe and disable the IGFX.

I went back and did a meticulous reinstall following the guide, now my HD 4600 graphics are working flawlessly. I guess I might have messed something up in my previous install whilst trying to get past the turbo boost kernel panics. I'm elated and very grateful for toleda and stork. :clap:

hello

stork

i installed mavreicks on my PC but i am curntly haveing some problems with enabling full graphics

i have

MB: GA-Z97-D3H
CPU: i5 -4430 -HD4600
ram: 4G

will this way will work with my specs ? wating for your replay to make a fresh install tonight

thanks alot

...i have

MB: GA-Z97-D3H
CPU: i5 -4430 -HD4600
ram: 4G

will this way will work with my specs ? wating for your replay to make a fresh install tonight
Welcome to the tonymacx86 Forum! :thumbup:

The Guide is targeted for the Gigabyte H/Z97N motherboards. However, the Guide will give an overview of the procedure you'll need to follow for achieving on-board graphics. You will need a different graphics Azul patch since the Z97-D3H Back Panel graphics connectors arrangement is different from H/Z97N motherboards'. See toleda's thread for more information. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back