Contribute
Register

Early Adopters > Mavericks on a Gigabyte H/Z97N-WIFI using HD4600 - No Graphics Card Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I plan to build my first hackintosh with a GA-H97N and a i3-4330 using this guide(I am basically waiting for the delivery of the 8GB RAM stick ). I also plan to buy a MSI GTX760 OC ITX in the near future. Will the system work out of the box after the gpu upgrade or at least after a view Multibeast tweaks? If not, what is the best way to handle the first installation?

:beachball:

james_bondo & jonbon,

I have no idea why you are having the problems you stated. I've seen them before while I was developing the Guide with tonymacx86 and toleda, but if you follow the Guide steps, you should have a successful installation and reach the Desktop upon booting.

A user in another thread stated that his system worked only after he loaded both Ethernet Drivers, which I did (without thinking about it as it seemed like the right thing to do).

So, (I know you'll not like this recommendation but) I recommend you repeat a fresh install. I have printed out my guides to use as I install the systems. The check boxes make it easy to insure each step accomplished. :thumbup:

So.. I started all the way from the beginning - made an installation disk with unibeast to 10.9.3, disconnected all my usb 3.0 drives, sat my ssd drive in the sata 0 slot on my board, took out 1 slot of ram disabled vt-d, enabled IGFX, Enabled Graphics on Intel Cpu, disabled board graphics power saving, installed Multibeast with all of Storks choices(the updated ones). I used kextbeast to install the Azul 10.9.3 patch and the other kextes provided in the head post (exept the one for imessage), Rebooted and : Succes!!

For some reason the ethernet wasn't working, but after I reinstalled my network intel driver with multibeast and rebooted That is now working too. Haven't had time to check out every aspect of systems but so far i am happy to have a system working with sound, ethernet and on boards graphics.
Maybe what did the trick was using the 10.9.3 version of the azulfile (and osx) but more likely it was disabling the power saving for graphics in bios.
If anybody is having trouble with getting onboard graphics to work and they are using a "non specifically certified hasswell PSU" try disabling the power saving for graphics in BIOS. I actually think i succeded in the full installation much earlier on when installing 10.9.4 - So the patch is probly fine. In that instant i was imediately taken from the white apple startup screen to a frozen white/gray screen with the mouse hanging in the top left corner - it thought this was some kernel panic caused by the graphics-
but now I think, it was the PSU -
Any way i am happy. Right now system wakes up fine, Boots the system in about 5 sek from chimera boot menu to loaded desktop and working mouse / keys / apps. But osx can't probably shut down the cpu so it just halts it. I am Probably gonna make a SSDT for better power management

Haven't tested bluetooth.

Cheers! And thank you so much Stork for the guide - even though it was frustrating to get it right -

So...If anybody is having trouble with getting onboard graphics to work and they are using a "non specifically certified hasswell PSU" try disabling the power saving for graphics in BIOS...
Good Tip! Glad to hear you're up and running. Welcome to the Early Adopters Club! :thumbup:

Hello everyone. I plan to build my first hackintosh with a GA-H97N and a i3-4330 using this guide(I am basically waiting for the delivery of the 8GB RAM stick ). I also plan to buy a MSI GTX760 OC ITX in the near future. Will the system work out of the box after the gpu upgrade or at least after a view Multibeast tweaks? If not, what is the best way to handle the first installation?
If you're not going to use the on-board graphics, this Guide is over-kill. You can use the tonymacx86 Mavericks Installation guide. Check out the other Guides and User Builds for the H/Z97 motherboard based systems with a graphics card, and you'll see what I mean. :thumbup: So, I'd wait until you get the 760 unless it's some time in the future buy.

However, if you do decide to install using the on-board, before the graphics card is installed, just change the following in the BIOS:
Peripherals > Initial Display Output > from IGFX to PCIe 1 Slot
Peripherals > Intel Processor Graphics > Disable​
Then, save the changes and shut down. Hook up your monitor to the graphics card and reboot. That should do it.

If you're not going to use the on-board graphics, this Guide is over-kill. You can use the tonymacx86 Mavericks Installation guide. Check out the other Guides and User Builds for the H/Z97 motherboard based systems with a graphics card, and you'll see what I mean. :thumbup: So, I'd wait until you get the 760 unless it's some time in the future buy.

However, if you do decide to install using the on-board, before the graphics card is installed, just change the following in the BIOS:
Peripherals > Initial Display Output > from IGFX to PCIe 1 Slot
Peripherals > Intel Processor Graphics > Disable​
Then, save the changes and shut down. Hook up your monitor to the graphics card and reboot. That should do it.

Thank you!:headbang:

So I'm still getting to the same point. I've redownloaded and run unibeast to make a bootable 10.9.4 on my USB, loaded the other files on to it. Printed your instructions and have ticked off everything I've done. And at the start of the installation of OS X I get the grey apple screen with the spinning thing which then goes black and the monitor turns off. I've tried the boot flags -v -x and maxmem=4096 in different combinations and am getting nothing. I tried enabling power loading to no avail. Not sure where the power saving for graphics option is? My PSU also seems to not be on the list specifically but says something like not tested but should be supported.

Any my help would be much appreciated!

edit: I always get this error: BootCacheControl : unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist : 2 no such file or directory. And then it panics!

The only thing I can think of is that you might be using the wrong graphics port connection on the motherboard. VGA is not supported; The 2nd HDMI connector (on top of HDMI #1) doesn't work by itself. Use either the DVI or HDMI #1 (bottom & next to DVI connector).

Thanks but unfortunately not, I've been using HDMI #1 ie the bottom one. Could it be the PSU? I was assuming it wasn't because of how far I was getting but could be wrong. Didn't realise there was a supported list when I was buying parts.

Thanks but unfortunately not, I've been using HDMI #1 ie the bottom one. Could it be the PSU? I was assuming it wasn't because of how far I was getting but could be wrong. Didn't realise there was a supported list when I was buying parts.
No, the PSU is usually related to freezing. I think your PSU is OK. It's something else, and I'm not sure what it could be. It's hell being an Early Adopter.

only other thing I can think of is that when setting boot order, P0 was my SSD not my USB so I chose the USB not P0. I'll try that after work'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back