Contribute
Register

Early Adopter's Guide to Intel's Haswell CPUs and 8-Series Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Early Adopter's Guide to Intel's Haswell CPUs and 8-Series Motherboards

Haswell processors' claim to fame are in the group of processors devoted to lower power devices, like laptops. The desktop processors, like the i7-4770K, according to early reviews, only have a 10% performance improvement (for certain applications). So, again, the improvement is in the lower power processors.

However, there are improvements in the Intel Integrated Graphics - HD4600 and HD5000. But, again, we have to await what the reviewers provide us, and, of course, what Apple is supporting. I'm interested in the update to Tom's Hardware Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart which in the next iteration should have these two Integrated Graphics shown in the hierarchy.

So, since I am a general purpose computing type of user, I'm in a wait and see mode for now. (My current systems are meeting all my expectations right now. :thumbup:)

I tend to agree with you Stork. I'm also a general purpose user and built my first Hackintosh (UP5-TH 3770K) almost a year ago. I still can't buy a genuine iMac that's as powerful. Unless there's something really fun to build, either an affordable dual processor monster or an elegant fanless super low power Hackintosh to use as a small server I'll probably stick to bathroom renovation as my next project :lol:

Thanks for all your hard work on this forum. Cheers!

Article: Early Adopter's Guide to Intel's Haswell CPUs and 8-Series Motherboards

when will all the motherboard cpu will be official announce

Currently there is no support for Haswell in OS X. There will be an official guide announced once Haswell is supported maybe in a future update of Mountain or in 10.9 later this year.

This is my first pc with OS X and I want to build a haswell with these parts

GA-Z87X-OC Force not yet bought
i7-4770K processor not yet bought
EVGA GeForce GTX770 not yet bought
Ready Venceance 32Gb Corsair RAM
Ready Corsair Hydro H100i
Ready Corsair TX 750 Watt Modular 80 PLUS Bronze

You might find out a little about what suits me
I know that there is no support yet for haswell but i wanna run some risks
Only need you approve or disapprove my build and make any suggestions about
thanks
google translate used
greetings from Honduras :wave:

This is my first pc with OS X and I want to build a haswell with these parts

GA-Z87X-OC Force not yet bought
i7-4770K processor not yet bought
EVGA GeForce GTX770 not yet bought
Ready Venceance 32Gb Corsair RAM
Ready Corsair Hydro H100i
Ready Corsair TX 750 Watt Modular 80 PLUS Bronze

You might find out a little about what suits me
I know that there is no support yet for haswell but i wanna run some risks
Only need you approve or disapprove my build and make any suggestions about
thanks
google translate used
greetings from Honduras :wave:

Greetings and Welcome.

Everything looks ok from what I can see. But nobody can be completely sure what will definitely work at this time. But if i were taking a risk then that would be along the lines of what I would buy.

Be sure to read the Rules of tonymacx86.com via google translate if you like:thumbup: To get the assistance you require please fill out your signature with your build details. But as you know there is no support for Haswell yet so enjoy the site and familiarise yourself with the installation guides.

So can I build a Haswell system and run OS X on it yet or is that not a possibility? I really want to get a board soon but don't want to get one that won't be OS X compatible until X amount of days to months later.

So can I build a Haswell system and run OS X on it yet or is that not a possibility? I really want to get a board soon but don't want to get one that won't be OS X compatible until X amount of days to months later.

Read the two previous posts by @wildwillow on July 1st and 10th in this thread.

OS X 10.8.4 does not (yet?) support Intel Haswell CPU's, it means that you could not load the OS with Haswell processor.

It is entirely up to you how long you wait. As the others have mentioned there is no support as of yet. If you want to get a system up and running with OS X sooner then take a look at the Buyer's Guide. There are some great deals available. Baring in mind that the real aspect of Haswell is the power saving of the mobile CPU's and a marginal performance of 10-15% on the desktop CPU's.

I think one additional thing to keep in mind is forward compatibility with the Intel CPU socket. The older socket is dead ended at Ivy Bridge. The socket in the MBs that support Haswells is the socket that will also be used in the next CPU. While the Haswell CPU may be underwhelming for desktop performance at only 10% better, in two or three years when the Haswell successor comes out, X87 MBs will be able to take the new processor. Older Ivy Bridge MBs are stuck on IB. I tend to do a whole new computer every 5 years or so, but I have taken CPU upgrades in the interim. Broadwell will fit in the Haswell MBs.

Another thing to consider is that Haswell is 10% faster at running code that is written with Ivy Bridge in mind. Haswell also has new instructions sets like Advanced Vector Extensions 2. When compilers are ready to support these instruction extensions, we may see closer to 25% or better increases in certain process intensive code.

Anyway, I am on a C2Q 8300 now, so I am lagging. I intend to do a Haswell MB, but am content to wait a few more months. It's summertime and I don't intend to waste it futzing around with a new Macintosh build. Get out if the darkness and into the sunshine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back