Contribute
Register

Dual monitor detected but won't display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there!

I'm actually building my second hackintosh from scratch - first one was with an old laptop where everything worked - and so far I managed to make 99% of it working correctly on Sierra with dualboot on Windows 10 - and can't say how thanksful I am to this website for all the guide and apps. But now that I'm almost done, I'm getting stuck with some weird issue: my graphic card is detected (correct name given in About this mac), the QE/CI works 'fine' (got rid of all the flickering glitches and low resolution, etc.), and my two monitors are detected... But they just won't display at the same time!
To be a bit more precise, the System Preferences lists both of them, offers me the possibility to use an extended desktop or a mirror one, I can change both settings, and I can move the mouse from one monitor to the other or move applications from one desktop to the other. But one would always stay black (doesn't matter which one), and some settings messes the display up (for example some resolutions will switch the positions of the monitor, and he thinks Monitor 1 is the Monitor 2, etc.)

At first, I had problem detecting the second monitor, which was plugged on the HDMI port (with a HDMI->VGA adapter, VGA port of the graphic card just does not seem to work at all). Following some threads here, I removed the ATI=True and the Inject ATI options from the Clover options, but can't really find any solutions about that new problem - especially since I can't even name it properly. Can't see if there's a problem with my kext, DSDT or Boot options (since changing allowed the detection of the second monitor).

Did someone had a similar issue? Or any clue on where to star looking at?

Thanks in advance!

Hardware:
Graphic card
- ATI Radeon HD 4890 (output: DVI & HDMI, QE_CI exotic kext used)
Motherboard - ASUS P5Q SE Plus
Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
OS - OSX Sierra 10.12.3
(Note: I know it's a rather old hardware, just using an old computer since we upgraded to a new one, so I don't really plan to change this computer hardware)

Yes, they both work perfectly when connecting one at a time.
Sierra is able to tell which is which (with the true name of the monitor in System Preferences), and it can find the most fitting resolutions and settings for both. And same if I plug them both : it knows that they are two monitors (it recognizes both name), find the good settings, and it is aware that there is two desktop (one per monitor, so). I.e. I can send an application to the other monitor, etc.
The problem is just that he cannot display them both at the same time (despite knowing there are two of them), and if I change several times the settings, he will start to mess them up

On Windows, both monitor are displayed without a problem, either as DVI + VGA or DVI + HDMI (of course, I only try DVI + HDMI on MacOS, since the VGA does not work at all).

Well, for the framebuffer personalities, I followed the instructions in the thread ATI/AMD 5xxx 6xxx 7xxx 2xx 3xx Graphics Cards Framebuffer Personalities, and so far I understood that they're three framebuffer personalities for the ATI Radeon 4890:
- Cardinal
- Motmot
- Quail
I tried all of them (edit config.plist, <key>FBName</key><string>Cardinal</string> for example), but nothing seem to change. Should I try other framebuffer from other cards? Or should I proceed in another way to set the personality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back