Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Do the Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives work ? New Firmware Available 2B2QEXM7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @BlvckBytes, I'm attaching here my EFI folder, I removed the Apple and Boot folder, also the OC/Resources since they are not needed and to squeeze down the zip size.

I don't believe that I have an issue with my EFI though, but a second pair of eyes won't hurt! If you spot something unusual let me know, it might be on purpose for my system or I might miss something! I'm on OC v0.7.6 currently but I'll be upgrading to v0.7.7 this week.

From what I hear, the latest Samsung firmware won't solve the trim issue, but the response wasn't clear enough, therefore I'm waiting for someone to respond to that person here

Thanks!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 95
@panosru

Weird, I didn't see any difference between our configs, except that I have a trim-timeout of -1, which then again should be default, and should still yield slow boot times when trim doesn't work. You could just set it to like 500 and forget about it, although it's inefficient. But hey, better than long boot times, xD.

Also tried to boot the firmware update ISO, and my drive also doesn't get detected. After some research I found out that this seems to be a common problem that Samsung just doesn't go after fixing. What a joke.

@BlvckBytes yes indeed, I also had it to -1, I changed it to 4294967295 to allow trim to run, just in case it might fix the issue.

-1 stands for ~51.43 - 51.62 seconds, 999 stands for ~41.30 - 41.39 seconds and 4294967295 for ~1:45.62 - 1:46.87

Basically, -1 should be used in almost all cases. The issue here is that the trim-timeout is ignored. Check the following screenshot:

1639668996633.png

My second NVMe drive takes ~10 seconds to trim, but 970 Evo Plus takes ~384.5 seconds (that was with trim-time set to -1).

Samsung doesn't seem to be bothered with it and indeed, it's a joke of support.

Ok ; so basically it’d be better to get WD black SN750 to avoid issues?
or does the WD have its own problems? Is there a capacity limit ? 2TB ok ? I have a 2015 MacBook Air

@deepblonde

I have no issues with the SN750, and 2TB should work just fine.

I have a Samsung drive issue running Big Sur/Catalina. One of my EVO Plus NVMe (Catalina) stops showing purgeable data (Get Info window) it is about 40% full and dose not reclaim space back when files are deleted (only when large amount is deleted and then not all the space is reclaimed).

On my main Samsung EVO plus (Big Sur) this is not happening. Both are APFS.

Any advice? Should I format it differently. I primarily use it for data.

Update: well this seems to be random. I had just performed a security update for Catalina, and now the disk info has updated to what it should be.

Last edited:
@deepblonde check this post here: https://github.com/dortania/bugtracker/issues/192 I also will go an grab a WD NVMe for myself, I might buy a PCI-E card for additional nvme slot and put my 970 pro there or my crucial p1 since my mobo provides me with only two nvme slots, and I don't want to throw away my 970 pro, it can work just fine as a storage :)

I was wondering if someone tried SSD PATRIOT VPN100, I was thinking of buying it.

My alternative options are Crucial P5 and WD Green SN350

All three SSDs that I'm checking have almost same speeds R/W and 2TB capacity, spec-wise not much of a difference, the Patriot SSD has actually slightly higher stats that's why I'm thinking of buying it.

Thanks!

Is anyone still having issues with 970 EVO Plus with the latest version of opencore 0.8.2 and Monterey? I have one where I already have a Big Sur hack but I can't boot Monterey, and I have the latest firmware 2B2QEXM7

I have 2 of them (Big Sur/Monterey) and never had an issue. They both came with 2B2QEXM7 and I have never update the firmware. Also note one is on a PCIe card (Monterey which was upgrade install over Catalina).

Both are at about 50% compactly with no slow boot issue and the OS's have been on the disk's since their release dates. So Monterey almost a full year.

As far as booting, the most critical thing for my build is to set Booter>Quirks, SetupVirtualMap to False. Unlike what the office OC guide states. Not sure if the same for your Z370.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back