Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Do the Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives work ? New Firmware Available 2B2QEXM7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Samsung NVME 970 EVO 250GB with Firmware 1B2QEXE7, should I upgrade it to 2B2QEXE7?
What is the difference?

I had upgraded to Monterey but due to long boot delay I switched back to Big Sur.

@Rajkhand

Of course, upgrade the Firmware. Have you had a look at what I wrote that could be a cause to long boot times, and are you sure your setup is correct for Monterey?

@BlvckBytes
I think it is fine but have look at my Kext config is it OK? Specially for my DW1560 bluetooth.
The attached file shows Root->add but actually it is Kernel->Add

Please give link to your post about long delay.

Also there is a very powerful program in Linux for ALL NVME drives from any manufacturer, please see the link
NVMe-CLI

Attachments

• KernelAdd.plist
    7.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
@Rajkhand

You're still loading BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, disable it, but keep using BlueToolFixup.kext.

@Rajkhand

You're still loading BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, disable it, but keep using BlueToolFixup.kext.
I am using MaxKernel 20.99.9 so it will not load in Monterey

@Rajkhand

Right, I overlooked that, sorry. So, if you still experience slow boot times, first of all update your SSD, and if it still persists, share your *whole* EFI folder.

@BlvckBytes

@BlvckBytes I'm also experiencing long trim delays on boot after upgrading to Monterey (7 minutes boot delay). I don't have any *Brcm kexts, I only use BlueToolFixup kext. I also tried with and without nvme driver and kext, but I'm getting the same issue.

My current 970 evo+ firmware version is 2B2QEXM7, Samsung released 4B2QEXM7, I'm using that disk as my OS disk, but when I boot into Samsung SSD Firmware Update Utility (Ver. 3.1), it scans for disks and it says "No supported SSD detected for Firmware Update" Screen photo:

IMG_20211214_134550780.jpg

I tried every possible way I can think of to make the bootable usb, so I don't think that the issue is there, the only thing that I can think of is that maybe the update utility requires the 970 evo+ to be formatted in ntfs or fat format, mine is in APFS, and I really don't want to format my primary disk and then re-installing everything it is much more painful than waiting 7 minutes on each boot.

Additionally, I'm not sure if 4B2QEXM7 fixes the slow boot issue because of trimming, maybe someone who has the issue and then updated the firmware to that version can confirm the fix?

Thanks!

@panosru

Hey there and sorry for my late response! I just downloaded smartmontools using homebrew, and then ran sudo smartctl --all /dev/disk<your-id>, to quickly check what firmware version I'm running. Funny enough, I'm on 2B2QEXM7 too, running Monterey.

If you don't mind, attach your full EFI folder, just so I can check whether or not there are any issues present which I can spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back