Contribute
Register

Discussing older Mac OS X Design Language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we seeing a return to 'Glass'?
Screen Shot.jpg

What are these ? Wide skinny colored folders on your desktop ?

The Stickies app!, often forgotten amongst the Mac community I feel but useful!. Stickies don't have fat round corners either.

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 9.51.22 AM.png
20130329-01-Stickies.jpg

It's simpler to update my notes and observations for my builds using Stickies than the 'Notes' App. Example of me trying to find the right BIOS settings for the A320I-K.

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 10.02.36 AM.png

I liked the first ios 7 kind of look for the itunes logo but now that they kind of brought thhem back with big sur/ios14 but my all time fav was the color gradint one

I've just spotted the "Front Row" icon in the Mavericks photo. Considering people do use their Macs as media-players it's a pity the remote was dropped. I even built an external IR dongle-thing to mimic a Mac's built-in receiver. I suppose their iPhones do the job now.

Funny how over the years Macs and the OS have "shrunk", dropping so much clever stuff. Even the iWorks apps have dumbed-down.
I have a imac 2011 so it only goes to high sierra and it has iwork installed and sometimes i want to colab with m y buddy for pages, keynote etc but it says i have to get the latest version and i cant do that becuase they dopped 2011 out on high sierra.

I have a imac 2011 so it only goes to high sierra
Try using this: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/
You should be able to install at least Big Sur. You'd have to try it and see how it works.

I believe some AMD graphics cards in iMacs don't work well with Big Sur and may also fail at a higher rate.

Make a full Time Machine backup of your system drive before attempting this if you like upgrading old hardware.

This video shows how to upgrade to a better supported Nvidia Kepler card in the 2011 iMac.

Last edited:
Try using this: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/
You should be able to install at least Big Sur. You'd have to try it and see how it works.

I believe some AMD graphics cards in iMacs don't work well with Big Sur and may also fail at a higher rate.

Make a full Time Machine backup of your system drive before attempting this if you like upgrading old hardware.

This video shows how to upgrade to a better supported Nvidia Kepler card in the 2011 iMac.

Too many "not workings" with this project for me - no boot screen, no brightness controls.

He demonstrates using Arctic Silver thermal paste, which in this video appears white. I've used it for years and it's always a metallic silver colour. Bit curious that ... May be there's another version I haven't seen.

Gives the impression of being an expert modder so I have to bow to his knowledge.

:)

no boot screen, no brightness controls.
That's because he switched from an AMD MXM card to an Nvidia 765M when Apple never used Nvidia cards in those models. They did use them though the next few years after 2011. It may also be that Apple never used that specific Nvidia card (765M). I know they used a 750M and a 775M. Maybe they never supported the 765M and those other two would give a boot screen and brightness controls. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back