Contribute
Register

Discussing older Mac OS X Design Language

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because he switched from an AMD MXM card to an Nvidia 765M when Apple never used Nvidia in those models. They did use them though the next few years after 2011. It may also be that Apple never used that specific Nvidia card. I know they used a 750M and a 775M. Maybe they never supported the 765M and those other two would give a boot screen and brightness controls. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, it seemed "quirky" because I assumed he'd got hold of a genuine Apple part and brightness is software controlled, at least by the keyboard. So maybe something missing in the drivers for a 765?

Oh well, interesting all the same. Thanks. :thumbup:

I assumed he'd got hold of a genuine Apple part and brightness is software controlled, at least by the keyboard.
He could have bought a 770M for about the same cost and it should work fine. The 765Ms were used mainly in Dell Alienware PCs.

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 1.07.45 PM.png

The AMD MXM cards in 2011 iMacs had a frequent failure rate because they would overheat and cause artifacts on the screen, vertical bars, or a full on white screen. That's the main reason Apple switched back to Nvidia in 2012 iMacs and MBPs. The old AMD MXM cards on Ebay are a dime a dozen.

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 12.51.26 PM.png

This quote is from a Mac Rumors post from 2019:

I bought my Mid-2011 iMac 27" from Apple in 2012. Everything was great until 2015 when it started having the infamous graphics issue (symptoms included artifacts on screen, vertical bars, or full on white screen).

Apple did recognize this as a "known issue" in my Mac and replaced the graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1GB) free of charge even though the machine was out of warranty. Great!

Now, 4 years later the same issue is back. However at this point, Apple says the machine is "vintage" (5+ years by definition from Apple) and they no longer stock parts for it, so even if I wanted to pay for a repair I'm out of luck.

Last edited:
He could have bought a 770M for about the same cost and it should work fine. The 765Ms were used mainly in Dell Alienware PCs.

View attachment 554343
The AMD MXM cards in 2011 iMacs had a frequent failure rate because they would overheat and cause artifacts on the screen, vertical bars, or a full on white screen. That's the main reason Apple switched back to Nvidia in 2012 iMacs and MBPs. The old AMD MXM cards on Ebay are a dime a dozen.

View attachment 554341

This quote is from a Mac Rumors post from 2019:

Ah, now you mention it, those failing GPU cards do ring a bell from way back. Hadn't realised the form-factor Apple used was a common one. How unusual for them! :lol:

So, to "put my money where my mouth is" so to speak, I re-installed CandyBar from 2012, on my Big Sur system. Surprisingly it did run, but there are pretty serious glitches and it's not much actual use nowadays. BUT it does show what was possible back then.

With the window as you see it here, you had your library to the left - drag and drop to add icons or pre-built libraries - the preview pane to the bottom and, depending on the option you chose, the destination for the icons. Here you see a lot of my installed apps. Drag and drop. Job done.

Doesn't work now though ...

Those were the days!!

:D
I use this app, it works perfectly in Monterey:
iconadams_big_sur_by_valvator_de9xhqp-250t-2x.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 09.24.42.png

Last edited:
I honestly hate it. Some icons and deign language is nice, they nailed the dark grays of dark mode, but overall the flatter looks is boring, lack of depth makes it feel shallow.

macOS 11 made things worse. The square icons are less interesting than the mix of round and any of the variety of shapes. Many of the apps feel forced into this new shape as well, with many of Apple’s icons feeling like they were just phoned-in.

What’s worse is the wasteful space of the windows. They’re making the look like the iPad, but the iPad has a touch interface, and the Mac doesn’t.

The new menu bar is awful. You can’t move icons around like you used to, and the way that little submenu is a pain.

Every time I go back to Catalina, I think how much better it is in 11+. I try to replace icons where I can as well.

The loss of interesting scroll bars and colored Apple logo just sucks.

Don’t get me started on the lack of brush metal and those wonderful candy drop buttons.

I’ll post some of my custom icons when I get a change.

I'm mystified by the whole scene these days: Apple UIs are trash simply because there's supposedly a point-and-click interface but every bit of turf is modal with poor visual cues and ever growing mystery-meat.

It's like there's a Apple dept of unpleasantness working to make everything difficult to discern, unintuitive and gimpy.

Modes and controls are inconsistent, contradict each other, behave indeterminately, and are full of bugs which moonlight as features and vise versa.

Try to find a place to click and drag a Finder window since Big Sur. And controls resize and jump around.

If a Finder spotlight search produces no results, is it because no match exists, no match has been found yet, or because indexing is skrogged? How long should you wait? The more I use Finder search the longer it takes to produce results. Sometimes it will sleep on it and offer results minutes later, then eventually offer no results at all. Or it will offer specific search results, but recents never populates, or only provides a few arbitrary items. If I kill Finder, it works again for a while. Ever tried to really get to the bottom of Spotlight config with mdutil? Joy! It's impossible to determine what's going on.

Finder Sidebar is another total mystery, it just does what it wants, but if you pet it enough it will settle down and nap instead of spontaneously fidgeting and rearranging itself. There are bugs there that have been around for almost a decade!

So older Mac is no refuge. Things that work break with security updates. In Catalina it's decided I can no longer enable or disable file sharing, where sometimes you can check the boxes but they just don't work, then spontaneously reset, and other times the boxes are there but don't respond to clicks at all. This is an OS that no longer gets support that they are breaking!

iPhone is horrible for all this and more: The disaster is in the design. The camera app makes the experience of photography completely suck! It's pretty hard to just hold the device because it's entire touchable surface has side effects. Try changing the zoom in camera without switching the entire camera mode! Suddenly I'm doing video or panorama; whoops my fingers are in the shot; now I'm losing my grip; how long should I wait with this unsteady grip for the shutter to cycle? Did I hit the button? Oh noes blurry shot due to tap on screen that causes rotation perpendicular to axis of the shot; let's see, to delete I need to follow an arrow in some corner, top-or-bottom left-or-right, to the photos app and pick through the library and go to that little trashcan, and — what was I shooting again? hey I just got a text message! — ok and back to camera but with an arrow, no ok swipe up and pick from fan of open apps no not messages, camera, and ok reset the zoom (gar! panorama again?!) I'll use the side button to snap, which side button? Damn! That's Power (which is not actually power but blank the screen, where the next big thing is a screen that never fully blanks — I am not making this up) hold-on, I used Accessibility to overload clicks on that other button, but which one?

And on and on... I am not being even slightly hyperbolic, it actually feels even worse than I make it sound.

Ok now for a million laughs, try googling details on apple photos.

EVEN THE APPLE TAXONOMY IS INSANE!

The phone app is just as bad. I defy anyone to make sense of "Add to existing contact" Which phone number is the one you just added?! Do I want to call a number or update metadata? Why is "edit" sometimes on left versus on right? When can I swipe? What does "cancel" mean? Which label goes with which address entry? Is the little red do-not-enter telling me to avoid the entry or that i can't do something to it in this mode, or that there's something I should do. Contacts now provides an experience, where it points out work I need to do to maintain it, and modally offers temporally limited feedback like i'm in a vid game! Something will flash on the screen and I'm going "Wait I didn't catch that what happened? Did my contact turn into a pokemon and I need to chase it around the house?

When i drop my phone on the couch, it composes email!

It's mind numbing. It's like putting a touchscreen on a car radio...

Dumbfoundingly bad design.

So I'm at a loss as to nostalgia for the old candy look and feel. WTH does the current or old Music app icon have to do with anything?!

I'll take a break for a while, so frustrated with this shiiii (beep!)

i do hate brushed metal and glass(vanilla aqua only)

I'm glad I grabbed a screen recording of this earlier, it reminds me of the Picasso Style branding for early Macintosh.

Apple2.gif

Apples Holiday Gift Guide/Promotion has started and there's a rather festive 'Hero' you can download, dark mode version would've been cool too!. I really like the Apple Pencil star but most of all campaigns past and the G3 iMac.

Apple-Holiday-Gift-Guide-hero.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back