Contribute
Register

Different Motherboard for CustoMac Pro Build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
OSX
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce 320M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I plan on doing the Ivy Bridge CustoMac Pro Build, specifically the i7 3770k and Nvidia GTX 670, but I was wondering if those are the only compatible motherboards on the list. Can I mix-n-match anything from the Budget build (such as the motherboards) into the Pro Build? I'm getting over budget, but I know for sure that I want the i7 3770k and the GTX 670....

Advice?

Thanks.

I plan on doing the Ivy Bridge CustoMac Pro Build, specifically the i7 3770k and Nvidia GTX 670, but I was wondering if those are the only compatible motherboards on the list. Can I mix-n-match anything from the Budget build (such as the motherboards) into the Pro Build? I'm getting over budget, but I know for sure that I want the i7 3770k and the GTX 670....

Advice?

Thanks.

Yes, you can mix and match parts. But, unless you plan to overclock your CPU and buy one of the Z-series boards (e.g., GA-Z77....) don't waste extra money on the i7-3770K, save a few bucks and go with the plain i7-3770. The 'K' models are unlocked for overclocking, but to overclock, you need to have a motherboard that supports it, like the Z-series boards.

-bth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back