Status
Not open for further replies.
OK - I edited the boot.plist to include:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1440x900x32</string>

It's now booting into a resolution of 1152 x 864 and looks much better :D

I just booted using the Vanilla Kernel.

What I did:

zip the mach_kernel then delete it. Use Multibeast to install the Vanilla 10.2.0 kernel then rename it to 'vanilla_kernel'. Unzip the original kernel so it's back and all is good. Repair permissions. Rebooted typing vanilla_kernel at PC EFI boot.

I did it this way in case it all went horribly wrong, I didn't want to replace the kernel without being able to get back to the patched one.

System profiler now shows "1.69 GHz Quad Core Intel Zeon" instead of Unknown.

Removed arch=i386 and maxmem=4096 from boot.plist and now 8GB of RAM is shown too.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

EDIT:
Battery now displayed due to VoodooBattery132.
Sleep not working yet- If the system is allowed to sleep, the mouse and keyboard stop working. Pressing the power button brings them back.

For some reason, the use of the Vanilla Kernel has now killed my Wifi connection... sort of... I think it's a DNS issue. DHCP grabs an IP address and I get a ping from the router, but nothing on the www.

I am getting this when I log in due to the 'fix' for Ethernet...

Insecure Startup Item disabled.

“/Library/StartupItems/Start_Promisc†has not been started because it does not have the proper security settings.

Any ideas?

Just for reference, here is some info about my system as well:

ATI Radeon 4600 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon 4600 Series
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x9488
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1152 x 864
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Display Connector:

ProductName: Mac OS X ProductVersion: 10.6.2 BuildVersion: 10C540
Kernel: Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0: Tue Nov 3 10:35:19 PST 2009
Bootargs: boot-uuid=D6D11658-7C98-35CD-B748-31C52138830F rd=*uuid GraphicsEnabler=Yes busratio=12
Model ID: MacPro2,1
CPU Signature: Ox106E5 (67301)
CPU TYPE: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
Core: 1692(1692) MHz x 12.7(12.7) Bus: 133 MHz FSB: 532 MHz
Cache L2: 0 Mb
RAM: 8192 Mb
SwapUsage: total = 64.00M used = 0.00M free = 64.00M (encrypted)
HibernateMode: 31

ANOTHER EDIT:

Realised that my GPU Dev ID is 0x9448 and that it wasn't in the plist in the 4600 kext. If I have read correctly and the format is to have the vendor after the ID, so I have added 0x94881002.

Also changed boot.plist to this:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>busratio=12 -pcie</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</string>
<string>y</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1440x900x32</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>

Sadly still no CI/QE.

Wow the VANILLA kernel? I didn't know that was possible on those CPUS. Looks like you chose the right 'top after all! ;)

This will make things easier! I think the quad mobile i7 stock just went up in the Hackintosh world! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I was a bit like :eek: o_O :crazy: :lol: when it booted...

The system seems stable as well.

The proof is in the pudding....

aboutinfo.jpg64yes.jpg

@thelostswede: This is interesting "If you get a blank or dark screen after boot, try set "enableBacklight" to false in Info.plist. I will stop the driver to set a low backlight value in next release."

Sounds familiar :p

Attachments

• 64yes.jpg
    64yes.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 200
  • aboutinfo.jpg
    aboutinfo.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 180
I'm curious, were you able to get the subwoofer to work? I read that was an issue with these speakers because of a glitch with windows 7. Just curious if that worked with the rest of the speakers with mac os?

adamsmasher said:
I don't know if it would effect anything other aesthetics but you can change your smbios.plist to the macbook version. :?:

Also, you can set system type, perhaps enabling some of the cool display dimming and such. You have so much to fiddle with- I can't wait to hear about it.

Check out AsereBLN's RC4 post- he talks about setting system id in com.apple.boot.plist- you may be able to (combined with a MacBookPro smbios) get the special laptop features enabled.

http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=644
To set system-type put a system-type= into com.apple.Boot.plist (1=Desktop, 2=Laptop enables Battery, 3=Workstation). Default system-type is 1 (Desktop).

I know there's a hack for 2 finger scroll too- maybe even swipe if your trackpad allows. ;)

The scrolling bar (although isn't printed on there) on the right side of the track pad seems to work. Gestures would be good though :D

I 'think' the sub woofer is working. I am using the 64bit Voodoo kext/enabler/prefpane as posted above. The sound seems to have some bass to it - but I will test this more later.

What I plan to do now is reinstall from the off. I now have better hackintosh knowledge and I will know what I can tweak without is going horribly wrong - Vanilla all the way. ^.^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back