Contribute
Register

Dell Studio XPS 1645

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok-

It seems to boot ok without LegacyRTC but I think the CMOS is still resetting. I may well try that other RTC file.

Voodoo power mini makes the screen judder and the mouse LAG big time lol. Removed. :p

Uh oh...

EBIOS errors on boot - Device time out.

That other RTC causes a panic lol :banghead:

ellnic said:
Ok-

It seems to boot ok without LegacyRTC but I think the CMOS is still resetting. I may well try that other RTC file.

Voodoo power mini makes the screen judder and the mouse LAG big time lol. Removed. :p

Well, you can solve the CMOS reset issue by DSDT- the code is the same in yours. Just follow this guide. Check your work by looking at one of the Gigabyte ones in the DSDT Database.

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... dtaml.html

Thanks Tony - I'll check that out.

I am also having an odd issue with Wifi (again). In safe boot it will work - otherwise it won't.

In normal boot it sees the router - and connects - it just won't grab anything off the www. I can login to my router by means of 192.168.0.1. It's like one of the extensions that is loaded normally, but not in safe boot is killing DNS resolution or something. In safe boot I can browse the www all I like!

Have you come across this before?

First thing i've noticed with the DSDT is that my _WAK says 'Serialized' not 'NotSerialized'...

Do I change it to NotSerialized or leave it?

Dunno about the DSDT but for the power, did you try VoodooPower ACPI? http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.p ... 094.0.html
As the two are a bit different and from what I understand, if one doesn't work, then the other might. VoodooPower goes in S/L/E though, so if you stuck it elsewhere... :think:

Not sure you need VoodooPower though, although to get VoodooBattery to work, you need to set the notebook up as a MacBook Pro.

Did you ever get the graphics card to work properly?

Dude, I think you need to take a step back, look at what you're doing and slow down.

Start by jotting down how you got each and every part working. Then if something goes wrong, start over, apply everything you've figured out and then carry on from there.

Once again, this is NOT an exact science, it's a trial and error process.

Did you read the links in my posts above? There are a few install guides there for Dell machines, although Core 2 systems.

You need to take your time with it, as you won't get it working in 5 minutes.

Trust me, I was messing around a fair bit before I figured it all out and laptops are a bitch compared to desktops.

I know you've spent a lot of money on a notebook in the hopes that it could work as a hackbook, but as things goes, there's no guarantee of things working perfectly with notebooks. Just look at the kind of problems some people are having with desktop systems here. You've actually done a lot better than most of them :mrgreen:

As a temporary WIFI solution you could buy an inexpensive USB wifi card. It's far from ideal but it'll allow you to focus on some of your other issues in the mean time. Like thelostswede said, laptops are universally a total pain in the ass to get working so you are doing really well! :D

Thanks everyone for help and suggestions. The links and information you post is, I assure you, being digested and I will eventually get this sorted.

Plan of attack:

Drive partition scheme is at the moment: 280/40.
Install on 40GB (will be used for Win 7 later)
Leave 10.6.2 Vanilla on 280GB.

I will do one thing at a time, as suggested - will make it easier to sort things out if they all go horribly wrong.

I will probably get to start on this again tomorrow as going out this evening.

I won't let it beat me...... :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back