Contribute
Register

Dell Studio XPS 1645

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey ellnic, I noticed that your Dell build is very similar to the build I was going to do with the Dell Studio line. Only difference is you have the better ATI card, the sound blaster express card, and the slightly larger screen. You'll have to let us know how it goes. I'm quite interested in this build and would love to run Mac OS on it. I may have to just spring for the extra 150 and get this build myself. I'm chubbing up just thinking about it.

adamsmasher said:
I'd dress up like a leprechaun if I thought I'd get me a bag of gold.

:D You and me both

@big mac n' cheese - Sure mate, no problem. I'll let you know how it goes. I am hoping it will be relatively little hassle.

The laptop was shipped on the 1st...........

New EDD 4th/5th March (according to Walsh Westerns tracking website).

Any day now........... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh, interesting fact.. this bad boy is coming from China! Doesn't make sense when they have factories in Limerick.. Work that out? :confused:

01/03/10 19:30 CHINA DEPARTED MANU.FACILITY

Apparently even irish-made computers are made in China these days. o_O

I was looking at some of the Dell inspiron models at the store today; might have to get one at some point and assimilate it into the OS X fold (have to check on what they have for guts first, though).

Wow, maybe they do specific models there then, but that's odd, although it's a few years since I visited the Irish factory...
Still doesn't make a whole lot of sense shipping a notebook half way around the world when they make other models around the corner... :confused:

It's probably still cheaper to produce in China and pay for the shipping across the planet than it is to produce in any western culture country and ship it down the block. Simply amazing.

Yeah - and the Irish don't work weekends! That's how it was out the door so quick I should think. It started production late Friday, and finished quality checking and was out the door by Monday? That's not UK/EIRE working hours...

Two more days huh?
Have you done all your research on how to get the graphics working?
And downloaded all the kexts for everything else and put them on a USB key?
Burnt your boot CD?
So many things to prepare, so little time :ugeek:

Done better than that :) Not only have I been doing research but I have had a friends machine here to trial on.... my god that Extensions folder is full of useless rubbish.

If it's the P55 boot CD, I already have it along with my £25 SL disk.

The graphics drivers I don't have yet, but will. My main priority when I get it is to take an image of the system before first boot with Ghost 15 (maybe Acronis - but I am not sure about Win 7 support, which I know Ghost 15 has).

Attachments

• Hackintosh.png
    Hackintosh.png
    415.1 KB · Views: 164
But, but, that's ... that doesn't count, that's pre-hackintoshed... :thumbdown:
That's like cheating, or something... :mrgreen:

This might be of some help http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... 0&start=20 although it's a desktop 4670.
And this is about a 4570, but similar enough me thinks http://www.hackint0sh.org/f181/75226.htm

It seems like people are having LVDS problems with the 4570's though which doesn't bode well for hackintosh usage. Hopefully the 4670 won't have that problem.

Are you going to pop out 4 GB of your RAM for installation purposes, ellnic? Just wondering :p

Been peeking at some of the other Dell models to see what kind of viability there is in them for future laptops. Dell seems to like using the ATI Mobility Radeon HD4330 for inspiron line (unless you just get the integrated GMA950, of which I am unaware of it's SL compatibility).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back