Contribute
Register

Dell 7020 - Using only onboard HD4600 GPU - Build Files and Overview for the experienced. 4k ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that didn't go well, the 9020m has no usb2 ports, not sure if that's the issue, but all I get is this. Then the system reboots. It makes no difference if I add the 7020 clover files, so I'm guessing it's something major. Any ideas?

Optiplex 9020m, with the latest bios updates.

Pete

IMG_20191103_202814.jpg

Sorry but no clear ideas - the lack of usb2 ports might be a clue but if it is, I have no experience of getting the usb3 ports working on boot without first having their port details and only know how to find those out once osx is installed. The main thread has many more people watching it and posting there might provide some more guidance. Otherwise Id check bios settings and try with all each of the usb ports and again with a vanilla unibeast usb but that's just guessing on my part.

It makes no difference if I add the 7020 clover files, so I'm guessing it's something major. Any ideas?
Does your CPU have HD4400 graphics ? Some of the Haswell T processors do. Probably all of the i3 versions of the 9020m.

HD4400 graphics are not supported like HD4600 are. Try booting with a fake Intel Graphics ID and it may help. Try 0x12345678. It may get you past the kernel panic.

Last edited:
It has an i5-4590t, so 4600 graphics. I suspect my clover option selection is way off. I need to study the guide again. It's almost 1am here in the UK, I'll try again tomorrow.

Pete

It has an i5-4590t, so 4600 graphics. I suspect my clover option selection is way off. I need to study the guide again. It's almost 1am here in the UK, I'll try again tomorrow.

Pete
It's likely that you must remove the Intel wireless network card (AC 7260) before doing the install. Those are not supported. Can cause kernel panics.

Screen Shot 23.jpg

Last edited:
Progress :) Removing the WiFi card made no difference. I disabled the two front USB sockets, and just used the four at the rear (I read somewhere Mac OS doesn't like too many usb3 ports, as each uses twice the resource of a USB2 port). I also disabled the empty WiFi/Bluetooth socket just incase (I'll retest later to see what was actually causing the issue).

Pete
IMG_20191104_112658.jpg

Nice work. If you want to write up a brief guide with tips for 9020m owners in Mojave Desktop Guides I will link to it from the main guide page. I've never owned one so I've never been able to test it out for my Golden Build guide.

Well done, how's it behaving? Sleep? Sound? (if you get no sound from monitor swap DP port). Intel Speed stepping? (Intel Power Gadget should show full range)

Last edited:
There is only one DP port and a VGA. I have sound, but still trying to get it to boot from the install atm.

Pete

Not quite sure what you mean but if it will boot from the usb and then load osx from the sata, the bit in the instructions - Prepare the SATA drive for booting with Clover deals with getting it to boot directly from the SATA. If you have made changes to the USB Clover folder to get it to work, installing clover onto the sata and then copying over the Clover Folder from the USB to the SATA should do the same thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back