Motherboard
GA-Z87n-wifi (F7 bios)
CPU
i7-4970k
Graphics
GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Recently upgraded to High Sierra and having major problems with it from a GA 7 series mobo, 4790k.
Thinking about just starting from scratch with newer beefier parts since I outgrew the hardware anyhow. I do NOT game and I do loves more cores but 18 cores and such are out of my price range.
Debating whether to get 8700k because so low of prices on these right now or something else in that league as far as dawbenchs are concerned. What im looking at specifically is a chart here.
Intel
8700k (currently around $350 or even lower)
7900X (currently around $900)

AMD
1900X - not on the chart but i speculate performance is close enough to the 1920X but dont know if work with Thunderbolt 3...

Plan on getting NVMe sdd boot probably samsung 960.
Plan on getting a Thunderbolt 3 enabled Audio Interface

Anyone have any thoughts as to golden builds working on High Sierra?
I've seen this build but seems like to much work.. Im hoping something a little more that works out of the box...

I have a 8700, z370 gaming 5, geforce 1050ti and a Apollo Twin thunderbolt.
My Protools session work amazing. Lots of virtual instruments, samplers and buses and i have no drops (even with the buffer size in really low rates)
I installed high sierra to get native support for the NVMe drive (samsung 500gb evo) and there are no problems with all my audio software (Arturia, avid, NI, soundtoys and stuff like that)

Thanks for this man!
With the current prices of these chips it seems like a no brainer. The Apollo Twin is a good price point for all you get as well and honestly has been what ive been contemplating getting. I'm glad all of this gear is working because it's most likely my next build. Ive been pushing my 4790k a little bit too much these days and need something a little more but want to be budget conscious.

I have a 8700, z370 gaming 5, geforce 1050ti and a Apollo Twin thunderbolt.
My Protools session work amazing. Lots of virtual instruments, samplers and buses and i have no drops (even with the buffer size in really low rates)
I installed high sierra to get native support for the NVMe drive (samsung 500gb evo) and there are no problems with all my audio software (Arturia, avid, NI, soundtoys and stuff like that)
is it running like a thunder bolt 3 ? i am looking into buying a apollo audio arrow and i need an thunder bolt 3.

is it running like a thunder bolt 3 ? i am looking into buying a apollo audio arrow and i need an thunder bolt 3.

Im using it with a TH3 to TH2 adaptor. I guess the TH3 works well but i dont have anything to check it...
sorry i cannot be more helpful

Im using it with a TH3 to TH2 adaptor. I guess the TH3 works well but i dont have anything to check it...
sorry i cannot be more helpful

thanks brother..... that answers my question if you using an adapter of course is working ... thanks a million !

I'm also wondering how exactly you're using a thunderbolt interface. I want to build a new rig and upgrade my interface. Are you using an adapter from type c to thunderbolt? A thunderbolt card? What are the specifics? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back