Contribute
Register

CustoMac Pro Install Guide (X58A-UD3R+ATI 5770+10.6.7+64bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CustoMac Pro Install Guide (X58A-UD3R+ATI 5770+10.6.6+64bit)

Just wondering if you still need to remove all but 4gb of RAM before installing Snow leopoard with one of these builds? I'm hoping not, as I've got 12gb of dominator RAM wedged in under a Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler...which would be a pain to remove to say the least...

Pending the answer to this I should be all sweet to give this guide a whirl :D

remis said:
Just wondering if you still need to remove all but 4gb of RAM before installing Snow leopoard with one of these builds? I'm hoping not, as I've got 12gb of dominator RAM wedged in under a Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler...which would be a pain to remove to say the least...

No need to remove - iBoot restricts your RAM to 4GB anyway. So leave as much as you like in as long as you have tested that it is a stable build with the right BIOS settings etc for 12GB of RAM - use Memtest and Prime95/OCCT etc.

notshy said:
remis said:

No need to remove - iBoot restricts your RAM to 4GB anyway. So leave as much as you like in as long as you have tested that it is a stable build with the right BIOS settings etc for 12GB of RAM - use Memtest and Prime95/OCCT etc.

Awesome! Thanks heaps for the prompt reply. Well that makes life a lot easier :D Yeah I've actually had the system running OSX before, but made some tweaks and then started getting a KP each time I shutdown the computer and at the time couldn't be bothered troubleshooting as it was simpler just to throw in my W7 drive and get back to work (i've got a hot swap OS drive bay). But I'm potentially looking at dedicating this build to a customac pro for using Pro Tools and setting it up properly etc. I've currently got it stable OC'd at 3.8GHz with 12GB or RAM running at 1600MHz C8. This thing will chug along with Prime 95 for days and won't get CPU core temps about low to mid 70's (degree celcius).

I builded my tower almost 6 months ago and planned to Hackintosh but never had time.

Tonight, I had time. Took like 2 hours... and everything is all good now!

Thanks for the guide!

And thanks Tony and MacMan for the build :)

EDIT: And BTW, notshy, did you overclock ? If so, how was it? I never overclock nothing :?

Danv said:
I builded my tower almost 6 months ago and planned to Hackintosh but never had time.

Tonight, I had time. Took like 2 hours... and everything is all good now!

Thanks for the guide!

And thanks Tony and MacMan for the build :)

EDIT: And BTW, notshy, did you overclock ? If so, how was it? I never overclock nothing :?

Yes I'm running at 3.8.Hz but for overclocking support please head to the OC section of the forum as this thread is for install support. Glad your hack is working !

in MultiBeast:
can i select

/Customization->Boot Options->64-bit Apple Boot Screen
instead of

/Customization->Boot Options->32-bit Apple Boot Screen

so that i get the 64-version right from the start ?

Hello notshy,

thank you for your guide and thanks to all the community for the effort in making osx working for us.

I'm just going to buy the same parts, except for ati, because I already own an ATI 5750. Do you know if there are problems with that card?

Thank you for your time/help.

Sq.

@thesquiffy - is it a single slot or dual slot card? Can you post a link to a pic of the card and the exact manufacturer and model of your card.

Do some searching for the 5750 - I don't have one to test but some users have edited the device ID list in the ATI kexts to get it to boot.

If you already own the card then you don't have a lot to lose.

hello, thank you for your reply.

the card it's a dual slot, and it's exactly this:
http://www.eprice.it/Schede-Video-SAPPHIRE/s-2412177

bought almost 2y ago and working fine under win/linux.

Sq.

:beachball:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back