Contribute
Register

CustoMac Pro Install Guide (X58A-UD3R+ATI 5770+10.6.7+64bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CustoMac Pro Install Guide (X58A-UD3R+ATI 5770+10.6.6+64bit)

Here is where you see if it's in 64-bit

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-27 at 6.43.17 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-27 at 6.43.17 PM.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 234

eelhead said:
Here is where you see if it's in 64-bit

nice! thanks! it seems to be working well at this point!

12 gigs of RAM all recognized and Running OK! 2 TB HD Recognized & formatted!

Hopefully it continues to stay stable while i Load all the Adobe Software!

Geekbench is: 9958 which seems pretty average for this system, will be looking into overclocking once i know for sure she's stable.

Thanks again to notshy and this guide! truly awesome!

Grovestand said:
I am running into the same issue that I had with my previous install, which is that my GPU fan is running at high speed all the time.

I had the same issue using Kabyl's bootloader (installed manually before it was introduced to multibeast.

The GPU works great. And the fan sounds normal in windows (it is in fact totally controllable), but I have yet to see an OS X installation that it worked with and I have tried a number of different methods.

I even typed in each ATIinit for Kabyl's bootloader with my last install, and none affect fan speed (or anything noticable).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

My GPU is an XFX 5870 by the way.

Haven't heard any suggestions regarding this. I'm thinking about soldering in a capacitor or something.

I even flashed the bios of the card so that it would run at 40% all the time, but it still jumps up to 90-100% in OS X. Can anyone please help?

It's always been annoying, but now I'm trying to record vocals in my apartment and it's really hindering me.

Thanks!

Grovestand said:
Grovestand said:
I am running into the same issue that I had with my previous install, which is that my GPU fan is running at high speed all the time.

I had the same issue using Kabyl's bootloader (installed manually before it was introduced to multibeast.

The GPU works great. And the fan sounds normal in windows (it is in fact totally controllable), but I have yet to see an OS X installation that it worked with and I have tried a number of different methods.

I even typed in each ATIinit for Kabyl's bootloader with my last install, and none affect fan speed (or anything noticable).

Haven't heard any suggestions regarding this. I'm thinking about soldering in a capacitor or something.

I even flashed the bios of the card so that it would run at 40% all the time, but it still jumps up to 90-100% in OS X. Can anyone please help?

It's always been annoying, but now I'm trying to record vocals in my apartment and it's really hindering me.

Thanks!

Hi, props to a fellow musician!

I do have a suggestion which may take a little more setup, but will ultimately be very very worth it.

Water cooling mi amigo... water cooling.

I took the dive not to long ago (terrible pun intended) and my rig barely makes a whisper.

Rasa 750 RS240 water cooling kit
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...240_Universal_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_-HOT.html

review:
http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/ ... eview.html

the above is an easy to install kit with everything you need to get started. It has exceptional performance with a very affordable price. That will cover the cpu water block, tubing, waterpump, reservoir, and fittings.

(contrary to popular belief, only use distilled water for your liquid. It is cheap, you can get it at the drug store. The dyed stuff costs like 13-25 beans and ultimately causes your motor to degrade)

Now for the 5870, there is a full cover waterblock that you introduce to your water cooling loop, also by xspc.
http://www.svc.com/rzr5870.html

Here is a review for the rasa 5870 waterblock:
http://www.pureoverclock.com/article920.html

Following the included instructions, you remove the fan housing and the fans of the 5870 and attach this waterblock instead (thus eliminating all fan noise from your 5870).

The last piece of the puzzle is a nice fan controller, so you can easily set all the fans in your hacky to minimum to maximum fan speed (minimum for whisper silence, maximum usually only if you overclock your cpu. I always have all my fans at minimum speed, but I don't oc my cpu. cpu avergage temp is 27 degrees Centigrade in a house that is air conditioned when it gets balls hot outside) I personally use the zalman 6 fan controller because it is simple, inexpensive, and the brushed metal face plate looks sexy in my corsair obsidian 800d case)

Zalman 6 fan controller
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811999171

Here is a forum who created a club of all the people that have used this kit, and a great video from Overclock3d on how to install it step by step. Really helped me out a lot.

You may look at this and think, "GEEZ that is a lot of work", but i can say that it is totaly worth it.

Other non expensive options are to use a Shure SM58 dynamic mic to record, musicians use that to record right from the control room. (bono, bonnie raitt, billy idol, Tool, etc etc) It naturally captures a nice eq range vocaly and doesn't pick up a fraction of the room noise that a condenser mic would.

In addition to that, you can literally hang clothes behind your condenser mic and the rig on a boom mic stand or something. Cheap and effective. Put the mic about 12 inches away from your face, slightly above your nose, pointing down toward your mouth. You should be using a pop guard which is at least 3 inches from the mic itself (air turbulence requires that you have the guard a little distance from the mic or it still gets picked up in recordings)

good luck :)

I use the rasa kit myself to great success. I just found a Diamond ATI Radeon 5870 hd 1gb video card, should arrive shortly with my 5870 waterblock. :)

it seems like it, but no... i don't work for xspc. lol.

Hi, I followed this guide and my system was running perfectly, except sometimes no display after sleep and a few time it crashes. But now, i wanted to make it 64 bit and i think i selected the wrong option so my system dosent boot anymore. It gets to the apple logo and freezes Help Please!!
Thank you in advance

Just wanted to drop a note (about upgrading Chimera)

Cinebench RAN fine after cross grading from patched DSDT to Chimera with Graphics Enabler No (injecting ATI info for my 5850) BUT: Ableton Live crashed, League of Legends (Adobe Air and/or WINE) crashed. They both seemed to crash randomly, but infact it had something to do with the display driver as both apps initialize non-native graphics (e.g. their own UI).

1. I had to go back and use the DSDT with patched graphics information.
2. Chimera 1.4.1 from Multibeast 3.7.1 still made my system crash after back-garding to the old DSDT. Chimera 1.1.0 from Mulitbeast 3.5.2 worked.

Also see: viewtopic.php?f=118&t=20931&p=134258#p134258

colavoce07 said:
Grovestand said:
Grovestand said:

Thanks!

Hi, props to a fellow musician!

I do have a suggestion which may take a little more setup, but will ultimately be very very worth it.

Water cooling mi amigo... water cooling.

I took the dive not to long ago (terrible pun intended) and my rig barely makes a whisper.

Rasa 750 RS240 water cooling kit
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...240_Universal_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_-HOT.html

review:
http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/ ... eview.html

the above is an easy to install kit with everything you need to get started. It has exceptional performance with a very affordable price. That will cover the cpu water block, tubing, waterpump, reservoir, and fittings.

(contrary to popular belief, only use distilled water for your liquid. It is cheap, you can get it at the drug store. The dyed stuff costs like 13-25 beans and ultimately causes your motor to degrade)

Now for the 5870, there is a full cover waterblock that you introduce to your water cooling loop, also by xspc.
http://www.svc.com/rzr5870.html

Here is a review for the rasa 5870 waterblock:
http://www.pureoverclock.com/article920.html

Following the included instructions, you remove the fan housing and the fans of the 5870 and attach this waterblock instead (thus eliminating all fan noise from your 5870).

The last piece of the puzzle is a nice fan controller, so you can easily set all the fans in your hacky to minimum to maximum fan speed (minimum for whisper silence, maximum usually only if you overclock your cpu. I always have all my fans at minimum speed, but I don't oc my cpu. cpu avergage temp is 27 degrees Centigrade in a house that is air conditioned when it gets balls hot outside) I personally use the zalman 6 fan controller because it is simple, inexpensive, and the brushed metal face plate looks sexy in my corsair obsidian 800d case)

Zalman 6 fan controller
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811999171

Here is a forum who created a club of all the people that have used this kit, and a great video from Overclock3d on how to install it step by step. Really helped me out a lot.

You may look at this and think, "GEEZ that is a lot of work", but i can say that it is totaly worth it.

Other non expensive options are to use a Shure SM58 dynamic mic to record, musicians use that to record right from the control room. (bono, bonnie raitt, billy idol, Tool, etc etc) It naturally captures a nice eq range vocaly and doesn't pick up a fraction of the room noise that a condenser mic would.

In addition to that, you can literally hang clothes behind your condenser mic and the rig on a boom mic stand or something. Cheap and effective. Put the mic about 12 inches away from your face, slightly above your nose, pointing down toward your mouth. You should be using a pop guard which is at least 3 inches from the mic itself (air turbulence requires that you have the guard a little distance from the mic or it still gets picked up in recordings)

good luck :)

I use the rasa kit myself to great success. I just found a Diamond ATI Radeon 5870 hd 1gb video card, should arrive shortly with my 5870 waterblock. :)

it seems like it, but no... i don't work for xspc. lol.

Definately. I would love to watercool, but A) I'm terrified of a leak ruining everything and B) I can't really afford to right now (hoping to buy an electric drum set since my "Recording studio" is actually an apartment.

I have a fan controller a Corsair 700d (w/ 800d side panel) and a Corsair H70 CPU cooler (not custom, but still can allow my i7-875k to hit 4.0gHz).

If there really isn't a better solution than I will consider it (though I would probably switch to a different video card rather than risk the leak).

Thank you for your alternate solutions. I do have a Shure SM58, and I just got back my Firewire 410, so I can actually use it.

Till now I have been recording vocals on my Yeti directional condenser microphone, which has been OK, when I set it to the right cardioid pattern.

Anyway, thanks for the links. I will peruse them.

Does anyone else have a less expensive, software based solution?

EDIT:

also, I made the following post in general tuning but I thought that I would put it here as well.

"I'm running an i7-875k (at stock) with an XFX 5870 1GB and 8GB of G. Skill 1600Mhz CAS 7 RAM and an Intel X25-M SSD.

I was using Kabyl's bootloader and Chameleon and I recently switched to using Multibeast.

Now my geekbench has dropped from 10k+ to around 3000.

Can anyone explain why that might be happening and how to make it stop??"

Edit: I have updated my signature to include my system. I thought that I had done so before, but it vanished.

Double Edit:

My CPU is running at 3.2GHz, but system profiler shows it running at 2.93 GHz.

I updated the system definition to Mac Pro 5,1 and my geekbench jumped up to 8kish. Processor still IDs as 2.93GHz though... I will keep tweaking.

HELP! CustoMac Pro Install (X58A-UD3R+ATI 5770+10.6.7)

Dear Notshy: Trying to build first Hackintosh with very similar components to yours -- same mobo rev. 2 FF Bios, same Batman GPU, i7-960, 6Gb Crucial DDR3 1333 (only 4 Gb for install), Sony Optiarc & 64 Gb SSD Boot Drive. Followed all the directions on this site incl. latest FF rev of DSDT, MB 3.7.0 & 10.6.7 combo. Install of 10.6.3 goes smoothly, and upgrades fine to 10.6.7, but get black screen with white bar on top left of screen after that. Cannot boot into iBoot afterward either. What steps am I missing, please? Attached screen image of errors. More available upon request. Thank you.

Attachments

• X58A-UD3R Hintosh Err.jpg
    X58A-UD3R Hintosh Err.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 188
Re: HELP! CustoMac Pro Install (X58A-UD3R+ATI 5770+10.6.7)

248 said:
Dear Notshy: Trying to build first Hackintosh with very similar components to yours -- same mobo rev. 2 FF Bios, same Batman GPU, i7-960, 6Gb Crucial DDR3 1333 (only 4 Gb for install), Sony Optiarc & 64 Gb SSD Boot Drive. Followed all the directions on this site incl. latest FF rev of DSDT, MB 3.7.0 & 10.6.7 combo. Install of 10.6.3 goes smoothly, and upgrades fine to 10.6.7, but get black screen with white bar on top left of screen after that. Cannot boot into iBoot afterward either. What steps am I missing, please? Attached screen image of errors. More available upon request. Thank you.

That Kernel Panic says something about EvoReboot - you shouldn't need to install this kext with a DSDT. I'd try a fresh install if you aren't that far along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back