Contribute
Register

Creative CA0132 codec discussion (Sound Core3D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The updated AppleALC has only a few changes that will likely enable the audio on the ZXR codec.

Does the audio prefpane show headphones while they are not connected? If you not use Windows, live Linux could be useful. Unfortunately, I deleted almost all CA0132 relevant files, of course unintentionally and I need to recreate a few scripts.
Here the AppleALC.

Hi Wern. Just to confirm that the prefpane shows headphones even when they are not connected. Also, I'm looking into installing a Windows partition on the machine, given your suggestion. In what way will that help? Thanks again for your help with this.

The updated AppleALC has only a few changes that will likely enable the audio on the ZXR codec.

... If you not use Windows, live Linux could be useful...
Here the AppleALC.

I have now installed Windows to another partition. All sound is working on the Windows side. I hoped that coming back to the MacOS side things might have changed, but that's not the case. Still not hearing anything via MacOS.

I’ m sorry guys, I fell off from my bike, l’m at the hospital. Tomorrow I may go home

I’ m sorry guys, I fell off from my bike, l’m at the hospital. Tomorrow I may go home
So sorry to hear this Wern. Hope you're soon recovered.

I'm back.

(Something I forgot over the weekend... is it OK for me simply to copy kexts such as the AppleALC to EFI/Clover/kexts/other via Finder (i.e. without a special tool like kextBeast)? I think it is OK, but just to make sure I've not forgotten a step.
Yes, just copying is enough, clover loads the kexts and does not care about permissions.

I have now installed Windows to another partition. All sound is working on the Windows side. I hoped that coming back to the MacOS side things might have changed, but that's not the case. Still not hearing anything via MacOS.
Did you try it right after Windows was started? Do not use the switcher, until we understand the differences between Recon3D and ZXR.
Also try this AppleALC, you should see two digital outputs, try both of them.

Attachments

• AppleALC.kext.zip
    668.6 KB · Views: 82
I'm back.

Yes, just copying is enough, clover loads the kexts and does not care about permissions.

Did you try it right after Windows was started? Do not use the switcher, until we understand the differences between Recon3D and ZXR.
Also try this AppleALC, you should see two digital outputs, try both of them.

Sound running fine in Windows. I have just put this revised AppleALC in Clover and rebooted MacOS. I haven't run the switcher. Still no sound.

There are indeed two digital outputs. However, I don't have anything to plug into the digital output on the back of the motherboard, so if one or both of these is supposed to produce output via that connection then I don't know if it is successful. Certainly neither of them produces anything through headphones. If these "digital outputs" were successful, which output would the sound be coming from?

(Good to see you back, BTW, hope you're doing OK).

Would you like me to boot Windows then boot MacOS and then see what happens? Might that make a difference?

Wern, I have an issue with the screen going black once in a while for about 1/4 second then coming back again. RehabMan is suggesting I install his version of Clover to fix that problem. If I install that, will it cause any problems for us in our work getting the audio fixed? Just thought I'd check before I go ahead, since I can live with the brief blackouts until we get the audio fixed if that's the best way to go.

Certainly neither of them produces anything through headphones.
Do you only use headphones?
Would you like me to boot Windows then boot MacOS and then see what happens? Might that make a difference?
Yes.
Wern, I have an issue with the screen going black once in a while for about 1/4 second then coming back again. RehabMan is suggesting I install his version of Clover to fix that problem. If I install that, will it cause any problems for us in our work getting the audio fixed? Just thought I'd check before I go ahead, since I can live with the brief blackouts until we get the audio fixed if that's the best way to go.
No, I expect no problems.

These codecs have a channel mapping, but ZXR and Recon3D work differently. Therefore, if the digital output is selected, you should test if you have sound on the front speakers.

Do you only use headphones?

You're right, I have been using headphones only up to now, but now have some speakers to test the speaker outputs too.

These codecs have a channel mapping, but ZXR and Recon3D work differently. Therefore, if the digital output is selected, you should test if you have sound on the front speakers.

OK, I have done this, plugging the speakers into the "front speakers", but no sound.

Wern (and anyone else). I'm wondering if there's anything I can do at this point to take this forward. Help so far has been terrific, but still no sound from this motherboard yet. I feel we are close to a solution!

I can confirm that the audio hardware is fully working on the windows side.

I have speakers plugged in to the "front speakers" (socket on rear panel) and also the "headphones" (socket on the front panel).
  • In Clover/kexts/Other I have the AppleALC.kext that you sent me most recently.
  • In L/E I have CodecCommander.kext (with the red spot!). I don't think I have any other relevant kexts in L/E.
  • I don't know if there are any kexts I either should or should not have in S/L/E. There are many kexts in that folder.
  • Under "Sound" in Preferences, I have the following devices:
    • Headphones (Headphone port)
    • Line Out (Audio line-out port)
    • Line Out (Audio line-out port)
    • Digital Out (Optical digital-out port)
    • Digital Out (Optical digital-out port)
I have also borrowed a Scarlett 2i2 USB audio interface, which is plugged in. This works perfectly, but obviously I want to get the on-board sound working.

I don't know if there is any other information I can give, and perhaps we just need a revised AppleALC.kext, but please do let me know if there's anything else I can try.

Thanks for all the great help, as ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back