Hello, I have successful Mac Os High Siera Hackintosh build on this HW:

Asus P8Z77-M PRO
Intel Core i5 3570K
Geforce GTX970
16 GB RAM
SSD Kingston 1TB - APSD partition with Hackingtosh on it
SSD Corsar 128GB - NTFS partition with Windows 10
HDD Seagate 2TB (about 6 year old) - NTFS partition

I am using the HDD in both systems (Windows with native NTFS and Mac OS with Paragon NTFS for Mac). Everything worked perfectly until yesterday.
When my HDD started to slow down and after that finder began to freeze. After the restart, bios notified me that SMART control went bad on HDD and that I should back up my data. I was able to backup data via Parted Magic which told me also that HDD is in bad condition.

I was able to see HDD in finder and read from it (sometimes HDD got unmounted after the long freeze), but I wasn't able to mount it with NTFS for Mac. So I've used Parted Magic and formatted HDD to HFS+. After that, bios still notifies me that SMART is bad, but I can write to disk - a problem is that speed is constantly falling down and disk sometime freeze finder for about 5 minutes. So I guess the disk is really dead (maybe someone knows how to fix up bad SMART readings).

But my question is. Couldn't Hackingtosh somehow cause HDD corruption which ended into SMART bad reading?

Hope it makes sense :) and thank you for responses

Couldn't Hackingtosh somehow cause HDD corruption which ended into SMART bad reading?

SMART monitors drive health and detects imminent hardware problems, it does not relate to file system corruption - Wikipedia

@P1LGRIM yeah I know, but I thought if Hackingtosh couldn't do some kind of HW corruption - something like unmanaged writing to sectors - I know it's nonsense, I am just ensuring myself, that my new HDD will be fine with Hackingtosh :D

@P1LGRIM yeah I know, but I thought if Hackingtosh couldn't do some kind of HW corruption - something like unmanaged writing to sectors - I know it's nonsense, I am just ensuring myself, that my new HDD will be fine with Hackingtosh :D

From my own experience it is more likely the NTFS driver which has caused the corruption. It is not always easy to simply reformat and get a stable system back.

I would copy the data to another external USB drive while you can. If your activated Windows system is also on the same drive you probably don't want to ruin that partition...

However removing all partitions with parted and then creating new and formatting them *should* recover the drive. (There is always "Testdisk" for advanced users). Assuming the physical drive is ok, which it probably is.

I had this problem many times until I learned not to use certain cross-drivers!

:)

@UtterDisbelief I've deleted partition in Parted Magic and created new HFS+, but Bios still yells SMART error. Parted Magic health tool also reports 40000 unstable sectors, so I guess, that HDD is really dead. Or is there any way how I can repair that disk?

Btw is it OK to format new 2TB drive as HFS+ for mac data partiton and NTFS for Windows data partition?

@UtterDisbelief I've deleted partition in Parted Magic and created new HFS+, but Bios still yells SMART error. Parted Magic health tool also reports 40000 unstable sectors, so I guess, that HDD is really dead. Or is there any way how I can repair that disk?

Btw is it OK to format new 2TB driven as HFS+ for mac data partiton and NTFS for Windows data partition?

Sorry to hear the drive might be failing. It does happen, though they are surprisingly durable usually.

Personally I won't mix formats on a single *boot* drive. I do have a data drive split 50/50 HFS+ and FAT32, so I can copy Mac stuff to Windows via the FAT. No extra driver needed there. Must admit I rarely boot Windows any more.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back