Contribute
Register

Confirmed Audio Interfaces (Hobbyist/Pro-sumer/Pro) & Drivers - Mac OS X

Check my Studio 2.0 build using link in my sig. I address the TB issue in the UEFI/BIOS settings for Atb

Hey guys, looking for some input on an ASIO audio interface issue and wanted to see if anyone out there has encountered this.

I'm running Pro Tools 9 on 10.6.8 with a Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2 firewire as my interface. I'm having an intermittent issue that seems to mainly happen maybe once every 3-5 boots. The issue is when the computer starts up I get no audio playback from the Studiolive. It still shows up in Audio/Midi settings but no audio playback from PT, Itunes, etc... The only thing I can do at this point is restart and its usually fine on the next start. Sometimes I'll have to restart 2-3 times though for it to start working again. Once its working I'm usually good for hours or until the computer is shut down. There has been a few rare occasions where I'll loose audio randomly after the computer has been on for awhile but typically it happens right from start up. Also its worth noting that on rare occasions I'll have a kernal panic right at start up. I've tried all the normal troubleshooting I can think of (different firewire ports, booting with/without the studiolive plugged in, installed a SYBA TI chipset firewire card...). When I loose audio its only the studiolive that looses it. For example when the audio drops out I can still get audio from the built in audio out. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the studiolive since it was working seamlessly on my MBP laptop before I built this hackintosh machine. Any suggestions or if anyone has seen something like this your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

My specs are:
Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Mobo
Intel Core i5-2500K Quad-Core
GIGABYTE GV-R667D3-1GI Radeon HD 6670 video card
SYBA SD-LP-TIFWB TI firewire card

Can post more specs/info if needed.

Thanks!

Hi Rulebreaker01, sorry for the delayed response. I did not set anything extra up in the bios. It just worked straight away. I am also using the latest bios for my motherboard, which is F11. Hope you get it going.

SSL Madiextreme64 & Alphalink Madi AX - Prism Orpheus have been really stable with Lion.

Been using my hackintosh for over a year now. Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5, i7 and 12gb of memory. The classic setup from a year back...

Native Instruments Guitar Rig Mobile IO. No problem so far.

Hey guys, looking for some input on an ASIO audio interface issue and wanted to see if anyone out there has encountered this.

I'm running Pro Tools 9 on 10.6.8 with a Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2 firewire as my interface. I'm having an intermittent issue that seems to mainly happen maybe once every 3-5 boots. The issue is when the computer starts up I get no audio playback from the Studiolive. It still shows up in Audio/Midi settings but no audio playback from PT, Itunes, etc... The only thing I can do at this point is restart and its usually fine on the next start. Sometimes I'll have to restart 2-3 times though for it to start working again. Once its working I'm usually good for hours or until the computer is shut down. There has been a few rare occasions where I'll loose audio randomly after the computer has been on for awhile but typically it happens right from start up. Also its worth noting that on rare occasions I'll have a kernal panic right at start up. I've tried all the normal troubleshooting I can think of (different firewire ports, booting with/without the studiolive plugged in, installed a SYBA TI chipset firewire card...). When I loose audio its only the studiolive that looses it. For example when the audio drops out I can still get audio from the built in audio out. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the studiolive since it was working seamlessly on my MBP laptop before I built this hackintosh machine. Any suggestions or if anyone has seen something like this your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Etc... ...

Thanks!

This is my first post here, so hello!- I'm here to research building a beastly mac/win PC of my own for audio production... the stage I'm on now is researching various audio interfaces, I'm curious if this intermittent issue ever was solved, if so what was it? I'd hate to drop thousands of $$ and experience similar intermittent issues, especially when I'm on my customer's dollar!!! Much appreciated!! :)

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 that runs great on my Hack

This is my first post here, so hello!- I'm here to research building a beastly mac/win PC of my own for audio production... the stage I'm on now is researching various audio interfaces, I'm curious if this intermittent issue ever was solved, if so what was it? I'd hate to drop thousands of $$ and experience similar intermittent issues, especially when I'm on my customer's dollar!!! Much appreciated!! :)

I had a similar problem at times with my Mackie Onyx 1220i firewire-enabled mixer. It's basically a 12 x 2 mixer that is also a 12-ch firewire 400 audio interface. Every 3-5 times I boot my computer, it never appears as one of my Output options in OS X System Prefs > Audio.

What I discovered was that evidently the Mackie doesn't like to play nice with other FW devices connected to the same FW bus. I had the Mackie plugged into the FW400 port of the Syba card; I also have an HP BluRay reader/CD/DVD burner combo in a FW800 housing I got from MacSales.com that was plugged into the FW800 port of the Syba card. Didn't matter if the optical drive was powered on or not....every 4th or 5th time I'd boot, the Mackie would simply not appear.

Of course, all I had to do was power the Mackie off & then back on...and then it would appear. But now I have it on a separate FW400 card (the Belkin card in my Studio 2.0 components list), and I don't have that problem.

Bottom line is: If you have a FW audio interface, make sure that it's the ONLY thing on that FW bus. Don't daisy-chain FW drives after or before it; don't connect other FW devices to the same bus. That SHOULD keep your system working in a dependable manner!

Good luck!!

I'm making this thread in the Hopes of building a database of Working Pro Audio Interfaces.I will update the list as entries come in and maybe we can add it to the Wiki as well..............

It would be a good idea to state your Specs & Document any problems with as much detail as possible......

PS: I know there are similar threads but hopefully this can become a sticky so new users as well as long time users can visit here when they plan to upgrade/buy..............

Audio Interfaces (FW)
Apogee Duet 1 & 2
Apogee Ensemble
Apogee Symphony I/O via Apogee Symphony 64 PCIe card
Alesis iO 14
Alesis MasterControl
Behringer FCA 202
Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro
Digidesign 002 Rack
Digidesign 003 Rack
Echo Audiofire 2
Echo AudioFire 8
Echo AudioFire 12
Edirol FA-101
Ecler Evo 5
Focusrite Saffire 26
Focusrite Saffire Pro 10
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Mackie Onyx 1640
Mackie Onyx 1620
Mackie Onyx 1220i
Mackie Onyx Blackbird 1U
M-Audio Audiophile
M-Audio 410
M-Audio Fast Track
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
M-Audio's FireWire Solo
M-Audio FW1814
M-Audio Projectmix I/O
M Audio Profire 2626
M-Audio Profire lightbridge
Metric Halo 2882 expanded + DSP
Metric Halo ULN2 expanded
Metric-Halo ULN-8
Metric Halo Mobile I/O 2882+DSP
Motu 828 MkII & Mk III
Motu 8 pre
PreSonus FP10
PreSonus Firestudio 26x26
PreSonus Firestudio Tube
PreSonus FireBox
PreSonus Inspire
RME Fireface 800
RME Fireface 400
RME Fireface UC
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam FireOne
TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6
TC Electronic Konnekt 24D
Terratec Phase 24
UAD Apollo Duo/QUAD
Yamaha N12
---------------------------------
Audio Interfaces (USB)
Apogee Jam
Behringer UCA 202
Behringer UCA222
Edirol PCR-1
E-MU 0404
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Focusrite Saffire 6
Focusrite Forte
Lexicon alpha
Line 6 POD xt
MOTU Ultralite mk3
MOTU MicroBook
MOTU Track16
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R
M-Audio Audiophile
Native Instruments Rig Kontrol 3
Presonus Audiobox
RME Babyface
Tascam US-1641
Tascam US-1800
---------------------------------
Audio Interfaces (PCI/e)
M-Audio 192 (Works with Envy drivers,but u dont have a CP,Midi & Settings are fixed)
M-Audio Delta 10/10 (Check Link)
M-Audio Delta 66 (Reportedly working in SL with 10.5.8 M-Audio drivers :eek: )
MOTU HD 192
RME HDSPe Card + Multiface1
RME digiface HDSPe expresscard
Lynx L22
Lynx AES16e
* Universal Audio UAD1 (32bit mode, 64bit doesnt work.)

OSX86 SCD
http://www.audio-evolution.com/drivers/

Good news, I own one of them (Tascam US-1800)! :thumbup:

Avid (digidesign) MBOX 3 Pro.. Works like a charm..

Oh and already have the focusrite listed ;)

All singing, all dancing..

Back