Contribute
Register

Color banding with Dell G7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you can use ResXtreme to alleviate the problem.
Adjust the color depth of the screen.
You're right. After changing to 8 bits/sample, the color banding is less noticeable than 10 bits, although the problem doesn't go away. Perhaps it was the display that caused this.

You're right. After changing to 8 bits/sample, the color banding is less noticeable than 10 bits, although the problem doesn't go away. Perhaps it was the display that caused this.
There is still a 16-bit color problem on the screen, which should be obvious compared to Windows.

There is still a 16-bit color problem on the screen, which should be obvious compared to Windows.
I think macOS shows everything at 32-bit color because when I take a screenshot at Dashboard and open it on Windows, there aren't any color banding. ResXtreme also shows that all display modes are 32 bits/pixel.

Any progress on this? I have the same issue on my Dell Inspiron 7586. No EDID patching seems to fix it, and ResXtreme doesn't either. The post linked above isn't applicable to Coffee Lake, Skylake spoofing isn't an option.

Note: I actually have UHD 620 graphics on my Whiskey Lake i7-8565U CPU, but the Whiskey Lake and Coffee Lake display stuff is very simmilar. I use a Coffee Lake platform id, and AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer.kext is used. I also use SSDT-PLNFCFL.aml for brightness control.

Any progress on this? I have the same issue on my Dell Inspiron 7586. No EDID patching seems to fix it, and ResXtreme doesn't either. The post linked above isn't applicable to Coffee Lake, Skylake spoofing isn't an option.

Note: I actually have UHD 620 graphics on my Whiskey Lake i7-8565U CPU, but the Whiskey Lake and Coffee Lake display stuff is very simmilar. I use a Coffee Lake platform id, and AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer.kext is used. I also use SSDT-PLNFCFL.aml for brightness control.
I replaced the screen to solve the problem.

I replaced the screen to solve the problem.
I have no idea why, but this worked for me too.
Due to backlight bleeding and LCD ripples, I received a free screen replacement from Dell. After booting back into macOS, the color banding was gone. The contrast and color was much better in all OSes, too. The only thing I can think of is some change in the EDID to fix a problem in the older screen?

I have no idea why, but this worked for me too.
Due to backlight bleeding and LCD ripples, I received a free screen replacement from Dell. After booting back into macOS, the color banding was gone. The contrast and color was much better in all OSes, too. The only thing I can think of is some change in the EDID to fix a problem in the older screen?
MacOS does have a ribbon problem when using a 6-bit color depth screen, I think you have received an 8-bit color depth screen from Dell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back