Register

Clover Version 4769 Croaked My Hack

• Thread starter Deleted member 188658
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 188658

I have two hacks, see signature, this problem is for my GA-Z97X-GA-7. I am still on HS 10.13.6 - latest updates etc.

Important I think is to note system has NVIDIA 950 Video card. Actually both my Hacks do.

Stupidly I did two things today.

1) update USBInjectAll.kext in /Library/Extensions. Rebuilt the kext cache. sudo kextcache -u i.
2) Used Clover Configurator to update my Clover from 4700 to ver: 4769.

But i was experienced enough to use Carbon Clone to BACKUP my OS before doing 1 and 2 above.

I rebooted got my Clover Splash Screen v.4769 selected my Hack SSD and go. Turns to black screen. No APPLE logo/icon. Nothing. A black screen.

No panic, yet. Reset and in Clover did this:
a) tried -v option. Prints up to a "****************" line near start of boot and stops
b) tried safe mode. Black screen

Beginning to panic

c) tried to boot from CCC backup drive, same result. Black Screen
d) I have a NVIDIA 950 video card, so I tried on CCC backup with boot to nvd_disable = 1. Black Screen.

Really panicking.

I took out my trusty USB High Sierra boot flash.

Booted from USB Clover Version 4568 - the current latest tonymacx86 version.

It saw my boot disks. I booted from my SSD. It got to where it is about to load graphics and slowed to a crawl eventually after 10 minutes to a black screen.

I moved the USB drive by my OTHER Z270 Hack and restored the config.plist of the GA-Z97X - which I saved to a shared drive previously. So now the USB stick has Clover Version 4568 and the SAME config.plist of GA-Z97X i've been using for months.

Booted from USB drive. Result on GA-Z97X is same black screen after Apple logo. (NB V 4769 doesn't even get the Apple logo)
Tried the USB drive on my CCC backup for GA-Z97X. Same result, Apple logo then slow load then black screen.

Moved the USB drive BACK to the Z270 Hack and booted on that Hack from the very config.plist. It booted to a non NVIDIA driver but a full OS. Changed the config.plist on the USB Drive to the compatible Z270 Hack, and booted fine on that HACK. I'm sending this message from that Z270 Hack on the USB Drive boot.

Question: How do I get my GA-97X Hack to boot?

Certainly Clover 4769 is DEAD in the water for me. I get nothing when attempting it. (It does boot my dual Windows 10 drive on that Hack)

I have tried a very simple config.plist on the USB drive - no joy.

The kexts folder on the USB drive contains other/
FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext,
FakeSMC.kext,
XHCI-200-series-injector.kext

No other kexts on that USB. Are these the problem on the GA-Z97X?

Any suggestions accepted.

As an aside it is really difficult to get the boot options in clover to work, for example adding a -f boot flag or getting clover to use another config.plist. When you set those options and return to the boot selector for a drive, the options seem to disappear or are not visible in the clover boot menu. Anyone else have that problem?

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

PS. I can't do a debug dump on the broken Hack GA-Z97X because I can't get anything running on it. So please don't point this out to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Partial Fix.

That was the problem with my USB Clover stick:

The kexts folder on the USB drive contains other/
FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext,
FakeSMC.kext,
XHCI-200-series-injector.kext

I changed the USB drive kexts/other to simply

kexts/other/FakeSMC.kext

removing the other kexts targeted at the Z270 Hack.

Now my Clover V 4568 USB drive boots my GA-Z97X Hack. I then reloaded the Clover V 4568 onto the SSD of that system, and rebooted. All was well the OS booted normally.

I wont declare this thread as solved until someone tells me why I had all those problems with Clover V 4769 ?? Is anyone else?

Tony

Partial Fix.

That was the problem with my USB Clover stick:

I changed the USB drive kexts/other to simply

kexts/other/FakeSMC.kext

removing the other kexts targeted at the Z270 Hack.

Now my Clover V 4568 USB drive boots my GA-Z97X Hack. I then reloaded the Clover V 4568 onto the SSD of that system, and rebooted. All was well the OS booted normally.

I wont declare this thread as solved until someone tells me why I had all those problems with Clover V 4769 ?? Is anyone else?

Tony

Good news you worked through and got the z97 up and running again :thumbup:

I can't specifically point to what the problem was, however what can confirm is that I've had similar problems booting properly with recent Clovers - specifically in my case 4674. Instead of the usual sequence I received the embedded Christmas theme - nice but this was in September - and no boot. My BIOS date was fine. Luckily, like you, I knew enough to rescue my system.

I thought perhaps this was caused by my particular set of components (300-series board quite different etc) as I'd not come across anyone else with the problem, even when I mentioned it in my build.

To cure this I reverted Clover to the MultiBeast 10.4 version - which is 4360 - and all has been fine since. In fact I upgraded to Mojave using this version of Clover and despite a few recent improvements being missing all continues to work well.

:)

Last edited:
@UtterDisbelief

Perhaps Clover 4769 and other versions are fixed by the AptioMemoryFix referenced in several postings for example:

[SOLVED] Clover Update r4586 disables OS Boot (Black Screen)

In short one needs to manually copy AptioMemory driver to UEFI64 in the brand new Clover install on your EFI partition BEFORE you reboot to test the new Clover bootloader?

I had a similar issue yesterday. I had a fully working system with 4674 (from Unibeast 9.0, right click it, Show Package Contents->Contents->Resources-> Clover_v2.4k_r4674-UEFI-UB.pkg).

I updated to the Clover Included in Multibeast 11.0.1 (Clover_v2.4k_r4769-UEFI.pkg) and my hack would show the apple logo and progress bar and it would take a LONG time and eventually would flash the screen and go to black screen.

Looking at verbose output I'd see something about busy timeout AppleACPICPU that would repeat every 60 seconds or so.

The only way to recover was to use Unibeast 9.0 to create a new boot usb, place my previous working config and my previous kexts into the other/ directory.

After booting with this, I used Mount EFI to copy the EFI folder from the USB to the boot disk. So not sure what's going on, but whatever broke came in after 4674.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back