Contribute
Register

Clover HDMI audio for NVIDIA & AMD cards. Easy way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GTX 970 HDMI Audio Guide El Capitan - Easy Fix

Hi All

Just thought I'd let other users know how I managed to get HDMI/Display Port sound output working on my system.

The steps I took are:

1. Download the following files:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xenemmfwa1ee7b/HDMIAudio-1.1.dmg?dl=0 - this file contains the HDMI kext required

http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3 - kext beast to install the kext.

2. Copy the HDMIAudio.kext file from HDMIAudio-1.1.dmg to your desktop
3. Open Kext beast and install as appropriate. Note that kext should be placed on your desktop as this is the default kext source when using kext beast.
4. Restart and your soundoutput should list your HDMI sound devices.

Please note that the volume cannot be controlled in El Capitan, you have to change your monitor's volume using your remote or volume buttons. Hope this helps! Good Luck!!!

Thank you so much to the OP. This worked perfectly, first time on my new 10.11.1 install with NVidia 760.

I was preparing myself for a long haul of researching and trying multiple procedures, and instead it was a dream. This is my second OSX build on this PC; on the first, 10.8 in 2013, I never got HDMI working despite following many tips. This time round it was much more important because HDMI is currently my only audio out. So having it work first time, super easily, was wonderful. Thank you!

I also have a couple of quick questions relating to this post:

Just thought I'd let other users know how I managed to get HDMI/Display Port sound output working on my system.

The steps I took are:

1. Download the following files:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xenemmfwa1ee7b/HDMIAudio-1.1.dmg?dl=0 - this file contains the HDMI kext required

http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3 - kext beast to install the kext.

2. Copy the HDMIAudio.kext file from HDMIAudio-1.1.dmg to your desktop
3. Open Kext beast and install as appropriate. Note that kext should be placed on your desktop as this is the default kext source when using kext beast.

This post links to HDMIAudio 1.1, where the OP had HDMI Audio 1.0. Does anyone know what is new/changed in 1.1, and if there's any compelling reason to install it? Unless anyone knows a reason not to, my inclination is to install it over the 1.0 I have installed already - in case it has new bug fixes or improvements.

Secondly, the OP said to install HDMI Audio direct into the EFI partition, using Clover Configurator to mount that partition. Which is exactly what I did. But the post above says that Kext Beast can be used, which only writes the file into /System/Library/Extensions and /Library/Extensions.

So does that mean that if I do install 1.1, I don't need to put it into my EFI partition? What is the difference between putting it in EFI and putting it on the OSX partition itself? And if I already have the file in my EFI partition, will the same file in /System and /Library/Extensions overwrite the one in EFI, or should I delete the one in EFI and only using /System and /Library? Or should I put it in all of them? :)

Either way (EFI partition or KExt Beast on install drive) is equally easy, so I could just put it in all of them to be sure. But I'd like to try and learn the difference for future reference. What maximadiesel says seems to suggest that using KExt Beast to install on the install drive works just as well as putting it in the EFI partition?

Thanks in advance! This site is so wonderful.

Hi TheBloke

I don't think the method of kext installation makes any difference whatsoever; use the method you're most comfortable with. Congratulations on getting your HDMI sound output working!

NB: I just used Kextbeast because its the method I've always been using and its made by the people from this site. Im not sure who wrote CloverConfigurator.

Works like a charm.

I'm using AMD HD 5830 with a LG 22MA33N monitor.

Last edited:
Hi TheBloke

I don't think the method of kext installation makes any difference whatsoever; use the method you're most comfortable with. Congratulations on getting your HDMI sound output working!

NB: I just used Kextbeast because its the method I've always been using and its made by the people from this site. Im not sure who wrote CloverConfigurator.

Awesome, thanks a lot maximadiesel.

This method got my GTX 560 Ti working with a simple copy-and-paste. Thank you.

Working on R9 280x Vapor X Sapphire. El Capitan 10.11.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back