CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Catalina post installation Stuck on “apfs module start”

Hi guys!

I was able to successfully install Catalina using a fully working Majove install.

Basically put, I started the install from a hard drive with Majove installed on it to a different drive. I did this because I did not want to mess with a working build. The install went through but now when I try to get in to my Catalina install, it hang on “apfs module start.”

I attached screen shots. %99 of the time it hangs on that apfs message that you see in image 1. But once in a while what you see in image 2 or 3 comes up.

I first tried booting with the same EFI that my Majove drive uses but that did not work. So I installed the latest version of clover to my Catalina drive and that is the one that is giving me the apfs error you see.

Clover version: Clover_v2.5k_r5070

I have also attached my EFI.

I have seen multiple posts advising to make one of the following changes to my plst using clover configurator:

change EC0 to EC
4543305f
45435f5f
change H_EC to EC
485f4543
45435f5f
change ECDV to EC
45435f5f

I have tried all 3 of those changes and received the same result for each. Now, can someone tell me what that is? What are those changes, what do they refer to? My google-fu failed me on looking that inormation up.

My Specs:

32gb DDR4 RAM
MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX z390 e-gaming
CPU: Intel Core i5 9600k
GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 4GB OC

UPDATE:

Someone advised me to put SSDT-EC.aml in Clover/ACPI/patched.

I did that and now instead of hanging, it gets to the spfs message and just shuts the computer off.

I followed specific instructions for setting up my BIOS settings and believe the issue has nothing to do with that but I can and will take pictures of my bios settings if needed. And on that note, multiple people using this very same board have warned me NOT to update my bios as it will for sure break my Majove build so I will not update my bios for any reason.

Thank you guys in advance.

Is there any additional information that I can provide that would help?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,477
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,962
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,510
  • EFI.zip
    16.8 MB · Views: 435
  • SSDT-EC.aml
    63 bytes · Views: 591
Last edited:
Is there a way for me to edit this post so that it does not look so spaced out? I typed this all out in Libre Office first and it looked fine there but looks horrible here.

EDIT: Found it. Got it.

Last edited:
I had the same problem. I downloaded SSDT-ECUSBX.aml in Clover/ACPI/Patched. I'm not really sure what it does but it has something to do with renaming the stuff you posted (EC0 to EC... and so on). Now I'm not really sure if I have to leave it there or I can delete it after having Catalina installed. I was researching this when I stumbled on your post. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• SSDT-ECUSBX.aml
    290 bytes · Views: 1,261
I had the same problem. I downloaded SSDT-ECUSBX.aml in Clover/ACPI/Patched. I'm not really sure what it does but it has something to do with renaming the stuff you posted (EC0 to EC... and so on). Now I'm not really sure if I have to leave it there or I can delete it after having Catalina installed. I was researching this when I stumbled on your post. Hope it helps.

Just tried it, same result but the loading bar did move faster. Can you post your EFI so that I can see what you have going on? And what motherboard are you on?

Whoops double post.

i had problems with the laptop. It's a Lenovo Z500 with Lenovo 20202 MB. I'm attaching my Clover folder. I hope it helps you in some way... I had to do a lot of DSDT and SSDT patching in order to get everything working.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    11.7 MB · Views: 719
Thanks a ton. I am giving up for today. Still the same issue and I feel like I have tried everything under the sun. Hopefully tomorrow I will have better luck.

Catalina post installation Stuck on “apfs module start”

Hi guys!

I was able to successfully install Catalina using a fully working Majove install.

Basically put, I started the install from a hard drive with Majove installed on it to a different drive. I did this because I did not want to mess with a working build. The install went through but now when I try to get in to my Catalina install, it hang on “apfs module start.”

I attached screen shots. %99 of the time it hangs on that apfs message that you see in image 1. But once in a while what you see in image 2 or 3 comes up.

I first tried booting with the same EFI that my Majove drive uses but that did not work. So I installed the latest version of clover to my Catalina drive and that is the one that is giving me the apfs error you see.

Clover version: Clover_v2.5k_r5070

I have also attached my EFI.

I have seen multiple posts advising to make one of the following changes to my plst using clover configurator:

change EC0 to EC
4543305f
45435f5f
change H_EC to EC
485f4543
45435f5f
change ECDV to EC
45435f5f

I have tried all 3 of those changes and received the same result for each. Now, can someone tell me what that is? What are those changes, what do they refer to? My google-fu failed me on looking that inormation up.

My Specs:

32gb DDR4 RAM
MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX z390 e-gaming
CPU: Intel Core i5 9600k
GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 4GB OC

UPDATE:

Someone advised me to put SSDT-EC.aml in Clover/ACPI/patched.

I did that and now instead of hanging, it gets to the spfs message and just shuts the computer off.

I followed specific instructions for setting up my BIOS settings and believe the issue has nothing to do with that but I can and will take pictures of my bios settings if needed. And on that note, multiple people using this very same board have warned me NOT to update my bios as it will for sure break my Majove build so I will not update my bios for any reason.

Thank you guys in advance.

Is there any additional information that I can provide that would help?

I was edited your EFI, please try it and report

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    16.8 MB · Views: 773
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back