Contribute
Register

Catalina Install Issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@UtterDisbelief you have really helped me to get my head around this, i am thankful of your help. It helps to talk through things.

So, OpenCore looks a bit above my level atm. I am sure i could manage to get my head around a new version of Clover (5123 or above). I can't tell what version of Catalina i have atm as "get info'' doesnt tell me any version info. If i get a newer version Clover, how do i make a boot usb with unibeast? Is there a guide such a thing?

When i was looking in the search i hadn't thought about looking for my motherboard truth be told.

Okay, depending on how you got Catalina there has to be a version number. If you "Get Info" on the installer it will definitely tell your the version number. It's in the General tab at the top just above Copyright.

To update Clover on your UniBeast installer you would mount the USB stick in another Mac and run the new Clover installer from there, pointing installation at the USB stick.

You can always try the alternative way of creating a USB installer:

Check the "Release" Terminal command.

:)

Hi,
So my version is 15.7.02 and was obtained from the app store. I do have my second Hackingtosh at home that is an HP build that trs96 guided me through back in 2017. So i can try this tonight and will do the read up on suggested topics. Thank buddy.

@UtterDisbelief
Morning, just a quickie "To update Clover on your UniBeast installer you would mount the USB stick in another Mac and run the new Clover installer from there, pointing installation at the USB stick" Can this be done on the same machine just with an older builds HD running the HS OS?

@UtterDisbelief
Morning, just a quickie "To update Clover on your UniBeast installer you would mount the USB stick in another Mac and run the new Clover installer from there, pointing installation at the USB stick" Can this be done on the same machine just with an older builds HD running the HS OS?

Yes, I don't see why not. :thumbup:

Just remember to set the correct location to install to - not your main, booting HD/SD. Let me know you you get on.

@UtterDisbelief Ive attatcged a pic of the usb with clover now in, icons on the left are just there for saftey. Do i now follow this guide?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 16.14.33.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 16.14.33.png
    851.4 KB · Views: 35
@UtterDisbelief Ive attatcged a pic of the usb with clover now in, icons on the left are just there for saftey. Do i now follow this guide?

If "JC" is your USB installer drive then what is installed already? If you run the Clover_r5134.pkg it will install the latest Clover where you choose. If JC already has Clover on it and you select that drive, it will just update it, so your settings would remain intact.

The Catalina Beta Guide will indeed create another USB installer and install Clover on it.

I'd recommend a fresh USB stick so you have a backup you can revert to if you need to.

Morning @UtterDisbelief.
Yes, JC is the usb. On it is MultiBeast, OS that I brought over from SSD build (current) to SATA (old HS build, where i made this usb as you suggested) and Clover _r5134.pkg which i opened and installed the loader to the JC usb. Now, do i load UniBeast to make up the bootloader or should i have done this pre _r5134 install?

Morning @UtterDisbelief.
Yes, JC is the usb. On it is MultiBeast, OS that I brought over from SSD build (current) to SATA (old HS build, where i made this usb as you suggested) and Clover _r5134.pkg which i opened and installed the loader to the JC usb. Now, do i load UniBeast to make up the bootloader or should i have done this pre _r5134 install?

Morning.

From the screengrab you uploaded it looks as though "JC" already has been created as a bootloader. Obviously I don't know with what or how.

So ... you can either run the Clover r5134 and point installation at the JC drive, or chose some other USB stick you might be using and that you have prepared by formatting etc.

Remember if you use the "createinstallmedia" Terminal command you do not need to use UniBeast, but you can install Clover on the USB's ESP (this is an option in the Clover installer when you select "Customize" rather than the defaults etc.)

:)

From the screengrab you uploaded it looks as though "JC" already has been created as a bootloader. Obviously I don't know with what or how.
Sorry this is so on going, its not easy to explain over written text is it, even my ex wife says that lol. So on the USB JC i downloaded the _r5134.pkg and ran the install onto that usb JC.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 10.37.02.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 10.37.02.png
    704.5 KB · Views: 25
Sorry this is so on going, its not easy to explain over written text is it, even my ex wife says that lol. So on the USB JC i downloaded the _r5134.pkg and ran the install onto that usb JC.
yes, install clover to your usb stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back