Graphics
MSI GT730 (NVIDIA GEFORCE)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all.
I've slowly updated my build in recent weeks from HS to Mojave. Now im onto Catalina and have hit a snag. Install stalls so i have gone to run Verbose but to no avail. Should verbose be able to be run while doing the install process?

If i have read the acronym read correctly id Verbose (VM) mode able to be run while in the install process?

If i have read the acronym read correctly id Verbose (VM) mode able to be run while in the install process?

Hi there.

No, -v or verbose is a command-line switch which gives you scrolling on-screen progress of the boot process instead of just an Apple logo and progress bar. It is great for seeing where a problem occurs. Otherwise it does nothing to help or hinder the boot.

Thanks for the help. So from what you have said, what is the best way to work out why my install process stalls? Thanks in advance @UtterDisbelief

Thanks for the help. So from what you have said, what is the best way to work out why my install process stalls? Thanks in advance @UtterDisbelief

Depends. Which bootloader - Clover or OpenCore?

If using the latest Catalina I'd recommend OpenCore.

To access verbose mode in Clover - press the spacebar while at the Clover boot menu and select it from the pop-up menu.

To access verbose in OpenCore press CMD+V at the picker menu.

Once the scrolling stalls, take a picture and upload it here so someone can check for you.

:)

@UtterDisbelief Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm using clover for Cat install. When I hit space bar and hightlight Verbose and start install process, I don't get verbose mode on the install.

I have just noticed that my efi backup folder is empty on my usb, is this correct?

@UtterDisbelief Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm using clover for Cat install. When I hit space bar and hightlight Verbose and start install process, I don't get verbose mode on the install.

I have just noticed that my efi backup folder is empty on my usb, is this correct?

Check which version of Clover you are using. :thumbup:

Yes, if you haven't installed or upgraded Clover the EFI Backup folder, in the root of your main drive will be empty until you do.

Good Morning @UtterDisbelief .
So i am running UniBeat 10.3.0 (Contains CloverHackyColor CloverBootloader Release 5.0 r5119)
and on the usb is MultiBeast 12.3.

Good Morning @UtterDisbelief .
So i am running UniBeat 10.3.0 (Contains CloverHackyColor CloverBootloader Release 5.0 r5119)
and on the usb is MultiBeast 12.3.

Okay. :thumbup:

If your version of Catalina is a freshly downloaded one - full installer or upgrade combi file - likely it is 10.15.7+ and if so I suspect you will either need OpenCore to boot it successfully or Clover r5124 +.

Personally I'd go for OpenCore but I understand that is a learning curve. Actually Clover after r5123 uses parts of OpenCore too now.

I just did a quick site-search with "OpenCore Z270" and found similar Catalina problems to yours and their solutions. Search is always your friend here.:thumbup:

@UtterDisbelief you have really helped me to get my head around this, i am thankful of your help. It helps to talk through things.

So, OpenCore looks a bit above my level atm. I am sure i could manage to get my head around a new version of Clover (5123 or above). I can't tell what version of Catalina i have atm as "get info'' doesnt tell me any version info. If i get a newer version Clover, how do i make a boot usb with unibeast? Is there a guide such a thing?

When i was looking in the search i hadn't thought about looking for my motherboard truth be told.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back